Hyundai I10 - Buying a Hyundai from Renault Dealer - bc@ah
I have just bought a Hyundai I10 from a "Lookers" Renault Dealer.and they have offered to do the servicing.
The car has three and a half year warranty left.
I am concerned that Hyundai wouldn't honour any warranty repairs if I got the car serviced at a Renault Dealer.
Am I correct to be concerned about this?
Thank you for your help
Neil Bulloch
Hyundai I10 - Buying a Hyundai from Renault Dealer - SLO76
In order to claim on the warranty you would have to prove that the car had been serviced in accordance with Hyundai's guidelines using Hyundai parts and recommended oil etc. This is very difficult to do and is the get out manufacturers use to get round EU legislation which was designed to stop the non-competitive nature of new car servicing.

I would make the effort once a year to seek out a Hyundai dealer to do the servicing assuming of course it has a full dealer service history to date. If it doesn't then the warranty is gone anyway.
Hyundai I10 - Buying a Hyundai from Renault Dealer - alan1302
In order to claim on the warranty you would have to prove that the car had been serviced in accordance with Hyundai's guidelines using Hyundai parts and recommended oil etc. This is very difficult to do and is the get out manufacturers use to get round EU legislation which was designed to stop the non-competitive nature of new car servicing. I would make the effort once a year to seek out a Hyundai dealer to do the servicing assuming of course it has a full dealer service history to date. If it doesn't then the warranty is gone anyway.

My Hyundai came from a Car Supermarket aged 9 months (now nearly 4 years old) and has all it's services done by an independent garage except once by the Hyundai dealer (which was expensive and even got overcharged so won't go back) but have had the power steering replaced under warranty without a problem.

"My Hyundai came from a Car Supermarket aged 9 months (now nearly 4 years old) and has all it's services done by an independent garage except once by the Hyundai dealer (which was expensive and even got overcharged so won't go back) but have had the power steering replaced under warranty without a problem."

You were extremely lucky. Either the service dept never checked your service history or you lucked out and got a service manager who was simply a nice bloke. However i know numerous cases of the opposite happening including one recently with an i20 suffering a pretty minor electric window motor failure but with no dealer history his claim was rejected.

For all you'll save it really isn't worth the risk plus if you sell while it has any of that 5yr warranty left it helps flog it, meaning you can sell it privately for substantially more than you'd get as a trade in and also be able to offer a warranty. Dealers also pay more for cars with valid warranty, I certainly do. So any saving made by scrimping on servicing is lost at resale unless you keep it until it's worthless.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/03/2017 at 22:01

Hyundai I10 - Buying a Hyundai from Renault Dealer - alan1302

What I save over the local Hyundai dealer is certainly worth the risk - also it's not just about the price - the one time it did go in for it's service is the one and only time I couldn't tell it had been serviced after driving it the first time...any time I've picked up a car after a service it always feels that bit different from normal. And as both local Hyundai dealers are part of the same group it won't be going for a service with any of them.

By the time I come to sell the car the lack of dealer service history won't matter as I'll be keeping this one as long as I can.

Surprised about the i20 window motor problem though as the door windows aren't part of the service anyway - did that have have a full non dealer -service history?

"Surprised about the i20 window motor problem though as the door windows aren't part of the service anyway - did that have have a full non dealer -service history?"

So was I, they're generally very good electrically and yes it did have a full history but it was being done by a small local and very competent garage I also use for my trade vehicles but it was an easy get out for the firm. If you read through the terms of your warranty you'll find somewhere within a clause stating the vehicle must be maintained according to the manufacturers guidlines. This can be done if your servicing dealer do download the correct schedule or its listed in your service book and they list everything they do and provide proof that only Hyundai parts were used. By doing so though you'll find they'll generally be no cheaper than the main dealer.

I've spoken to the service manager at a local Kia dealer before on this subject before and he confirmed that it's a regular bone of contention. Loads of punters turning up trying to claim on warranties without the relevant proof of maintenance and on cars bought elsewhere, usually from a dealer who didn't supply any other warranty because they claimed the manufacturer one was still valid.
Hyundai I10 - Buying a Hyundai from Renault Dealer - oldroverboy.

Hopefully the 1st service was done at a Hyundai dealer on time.

For the sake of a few quid get it serviced on time within the time/mileage limitations.

Then and only then is your warranty safe,

Hyundai I10 - Buying a Hyundai from Renault Dealer - daveyK_UK

i have got to agree, if you buy a car with a manufacturer warranty, get it serviced by the manufacturers agent

Hyundai I10 - Buying a Hyundai from Renault Dealer - TedCrilly

Lookers hold a Hyundai franchise. The will have no problem getting correct parts, geting manufacturers info and accessing relevant databases regardless of which branch you use for servicing. I wouldn't have the slightest concern.

Of course the sensible thing to do would be to contact Hyundai UK and throw the question at them rather than relying on opinion.

Hyundai I10 - Buying a Hyundai from Renault Dealer - Chirpy99

My I10 suffered clutch failure and had to be recovered to the dealers . I was about 20 miles away, so be careful scrimping a few quid it might bite you . Had no problems since