BMW 3 Series - BMW - Is adaptive suspension worth having? - Kurt Steiner

I'm thinking of buying a BMW 320i and almost all reviews recommend ticking the adaptive suspension option even for the 318i. I'm not planning on flying around A or B roads but don't want to spoil the car for not having it. But before committing, at £750, I'd be interested in people's experiences of driving with or without it. Is it worth the money?

BMW 3 Series - BMW - Is adaptive suspension worth having? - RobJP

It depends on the spec of the car, in my opinion.

Big wheels, MSport suspension, it makes a huge difference. The ride is a lot more pliable, less tramlining, just much more pleasant.

Non-sports suspension, 17" wheels or smaller, don't bother.

My 325d Msport tourer has it, and when you switch the suspension from 'comfort' to 'sport' it's really noticeable.

BMW 3 Series - BMW - Is adaptive suspension worth having? - Kurt Steiner

That makes sense as I'm looking at an SE that I can spec up with what I want so if I go for standard 17" wheels and no adaptive suspension I save £1200 to £1400. Compelling argument for me but the downside is the Msport does look a lot better! Cheers

BMW 3 Series - BMW - Is adaptive suspension worth having? - Avant

One advantage of having M-Sport is that you can have it in that gorgeous cornflower blue - Estoril blue, I think it's called.

If you don't want that colour, SE specced up sounds like a good idea.

BMW 3 Series - BMW - Is adaptive suspension worth having? - Pelican

Don't know if I'm too late to comment. I bought a 2016 BMW 3 series 320i with 17" wheels and standard suspension. All I can say is that the ride is unsettled and jittery. I would never want to suffer this again in any further cars I own. I am desperatley waiting for the supplied RFTs to wear out. Then I'll replace with Drive Guard RFTs which reviews claim are softer.