Car for 3 adults and two small children - Molehill

My wife and I were looking for a car to fit two car seats but now she has moved the goalposts. She thinks it would be nice if her dad could fit in as well. So I need a car that can fit two car seats and ocassionally three adults. Our mileage and use means petrol is best. Ideally under 15k.

We were looking at cars with two fold down seats in the back that could fit children in but mostly they seem not to have isofix points. Which is odd as many new car seats are isofix only. A new Touran fits the bill but the older ones lack the isofix points and are mainly diesel. Equally I don't want anything as big as an S-Max. I wonder if a CR-V could fit both seats, with one in the middle, and an adult next to them? Am I going to have to go to a dealer and fit both car seats to see if it is practical?

Car for 3 adults and two small children - 72 dudes

One car you might like to consider is the Honda FR-V. It has 6 seats. However the newest ones are around 8 years old, so that might exclude it for you. They are however highly thought of in terms of reliability and the 1.8 VTEC engine is excellent if a little short of low down pull.

Not sure if the CR-V has enough of a rear middle seat for 2 child seats plus an adult.

There is also the Fiat Multipla, but (cough) we'll just skip over that swiftly.

I walk past a FR-V most days and it does slightly tempt me. Though being quite tall I am not sure how much space there will be with a bulky child seat in the front middle.

Car for 3 adults and two small children - RichardW

Is 15k the budget?

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso with the PureTech petrol engine? Might just get a new one for £15k.

Car for 3 adults and two small children - Avant

The CRV is almost as big as an S-Max, so if you want something smaller, you'd need to see which of the smaller 7-seaters have Isofix points in the 'very back'. I would hope that most do, as children are the main users of those seats.

Have a look at cars like the Toyota Verso, Ford Grand C-Max, Vauxhall Zafira, Mazda 5 and Citroen Grand Picasso. You're right to prefer petrol: petrol examples will be harder to find but there will be some around. Look at the cars for sale section of this website.

Car for 3 adults and two small children - Bromptonaut

As ever, a Berlingo or Partner would fit the bill. 3 full size seats and flat rear floor. Outer pair of seats have isofix and sliding doors make boarding kids in tight spaces a cinch.

> Toyota Verso, Ford Grand C-Max, Vauxhall Zafira, Mazda 5 and Citroen Grand Picasso.

Just checking on the maxi-cosi website and none of these cars have isofix in the third row seats. And in many cases on the outer two middle ones have it. I don't really understand why. The only small 7 seater that I have found that does is the newest Touran with five isofix points.

Edited by Molehill on 08/03/2017 at 19:38

Car for 3 adults and two small children - SLO76
I'd imagine a Mk IV CRV has plenty of width to do as you ask, certainly ours is frequently asked to transport 4 adults and one child in his seat and no one complains about space. The boot is vast and it received a top five start ncap rating for safety so it does make for a good family hold-all.

However the 2.0 petrol is the only option if you don't want to go for the excellent 1.6 diesel (ours averages 56mpg) and although it's not bad on fuel for a large petrol SUV it'll struggle to better 35mpg day to day by much and it lacks the midrange pulling power of the diesels for safe overtaking. It is a very long lived engine though and has no real vices.

Personally though with your sort of use in mind I'd take a look at a petrol Mazda 5 which has a great reputation for reliability and a handy sliding door for easy access for children in the rear seat, a handy feature in car parks with m****s parking slap bang next to you. Not sure about Isofix on the rear row of seats though.
Car for 3 adults and two small children - mss1tw

However the 2.0 petrol is the only option if you don't want to go for the excellent 1.6 diesel (ours averages 56mpg) and although it's not bad on fuel for a large petrol SUV it'll struggle to better 35mpg day to day by much and it lacks the midrange pulling power of the diesels for safe overtaking. It is a very long lived engine though and has no real vices.

It's a Honda VTEC! The trick is rev until you think it's going to pop. Then rev it some more. Then a bit more. Finally change up about 500rpm short of the redline when the 'cooking' VTEC does get a bit breathless.
"It's a Honda VTEC! The trick is rev until you think it's going to pop. Then rev it some more. Then a bit more. Finally change up about 500rpm short of the redline when the 'cooking' VTEC does get a bit breathless."

Not what your typical family man/woman SUV buyer is looking for though and trust me if you want a sports car don't buy a CRV, even one with a VTEC petrol.
We currently have a ten year old 1.4 Honda Jazz. I am very used to revving it.
Car for 3 adults and two small children - mss1tw

Not what your typical family man/woman SUV buyer is looking for though

I'm talking about the over-taking you mentioned. It's perfectly fine to drive without being a hooligan with the loud pedal too.
Car for 3 adults and two small children - notagoodname
Toyota Verso.

For that budget you'll get a 1-2 year old car with very low mileage. More economical than a CRV and nicer to drive in my opinion (I've had both).

7 seats and the middle row seats are equally sized - my CRV's were not.

To be honest with you unless you're keen to spend £15k you could spend £10-12k on a slightly older Verso (post 2013 refresh) and have some cash left over..

Edited by notagoodname on 08/03/2017 at 16:48

I looked at a Verso when we were previously only thinking two adults and two children. It was fine for that but I am not sure you would get another adult in and I am pretty sure the only isofix points are the outer middle row seats - and oddly none in the back two seats.

Car for 3 adults and two small children - notagoodname

Unless your father-in-law is particularly large I would say you could easily get him in a Verso between the two child seats. If you push all the middle seats back as far as they go there's a fair bit of leg / access room.

Time to take the car-seats around a few showrooms - I think it will soon become clear as to what works best..

Car for 3 adults and two small children - Ian_SW

Dependent on the child seat, and the size of the adult, you might find a larger 'ordinary' car will fit the bill too.

With two toddler seats in my Octavia put at the outer edges of the isofix mounts, I can still sit reasonably comfortably in between them in the middle back seat. I wouldn't want to do 300 miles like that, but an hour or so is fine. I suspect you'd find much the same with a Mondeo, Avensis etc.

Car for 3 adults and two small children - veloceman
A pity as the Multipla was a far better car than the FRV for practicality, space and was much better to drive.
Pity about the looks and the Fisher Price interior that didn't stand the test of time - well anything really!

Car for 3 adults and two small children - RaineMan

You need to decide where grandad is going to sit and try the configuration in an actual car. Some middle seats are not that comfortable for a full sized adult bar a quick dash through town.

Edited by RaineMan on 09/03/2017 at 06:48

Car for 3 adults and two small children - Bromptonaut
A pity as the Multipla was a far better car than the FRV for practicality, space and was much better to drive. Pity about the looks and the Fisher Price interior that didn't stand the test of time - well anything really!

Never tried driving multipla but remember watching one arrive on a French campsite and disgorge a family of 6, a frame tent the size of Wales and all camping requisites. Truly a tardis.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. We concluded a Toyota Verso was worth checking out and dragged our car seats to the dealership and there is just enough space. And in general we liked the car and so plan to get a 1.8 Verso probably in Excel trim.

An excellent choice.
Car for 3 adults and two small children - daveyK_UK

a solid choice