BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - logger

First..I've had lots of cars including petrol , high milegae diesels etc so not generally all the pitfalls and arguments or petrols vs diesel etc as I will be doing about 6k miles a year

..BUT I dont know these cars..I have around £ 1200 to spend on a car which generally will be used locally, once a week to visit clients(50miles) and 2 or 3 times a year trips to cornwall(300miles)...

BMW 520i petrol

BMW 525D

VW Passat 1.9 Tdi

Jag XType 2.0D

Audi A4 1.9 Tdi

Saab 9-3 2.0 Petrol

I am not a mechanic but I have a brilliant independent guy that saves me money

Cheers

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - RobJP

First, assume this :

Any 'executive' car that is for sale at this sort of price needs money spending on it. That is why it is for sale. If it's a private seller, then they're just wanting to get shut of it before the MOT comes round. If it's a trader, then they've bought it for £500 FROM a private seller who was desperate to get shot of it, or from the auctions where it had been dumped.

So, if you have £1200 to spend on a car, then you need to have another £1000 or so for the inevitable bill for something serious in the next few months.

That 'serious' thing might not be a failure. It might be the routine cambelt and waterpump on the 1.9 Tdi engined cars (£300 or so). Or it might be terminal.

Of course, you can skip the cambelt change. But they're a bit notorious for failure, and if they go, the car is scrap.

Buying a car such as this, at that price bracket, is a recipe for disaster.

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - Theophilus

If you can only afford "up to £1200" you probably shouldn't be looking at any of these potential money-pits.

But ... if you are determined to risk spending more on repairs than the value of the car I would go for the Saab, my petrol 9-3s were very reliable (different story with the turbo-diesel).

Edited by Theophilus on 20/02/2017 at 14:05

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - Falkirk Bairn

Mk1 Yaris - seem to be bomb proof - if anything of that age can be bomb proof.

Local hairdresser bought a 5 year old one some 8 yrs ago - her son now has it. Servicing, tyres etc etc but nothing has broken. There wil be some scrappy examples buy some jewels as well.

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - pd

Passat/A4 probably the best bet out of those. They will have some miles on though.

X-Type maybe if it has had a new clutch and flywheel. The drivetrain is basically Mondeo TDCi.

Probably would avoid the BMW at this price point and the Saabs, though cheap, really aren't very well built in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments.

For other forum users, although its wise listening to other people's views, I must mention I have had over 65 cars ( just not these ) and over 50 of those have been under £1000 mixture of diesel and petrol.. and except for one 4x4 turbo failure I honestly have never had a big bill with any of them. All I tend to do is check the MOT history, service history and look out for the obvious, cambelt changes, electrical faults, bangs and noises etc.. Obviously I never take the cars to main dealers for servicing and parts.

Looks like I have not asked the question correctly so apologies for that, all I wanted to know is generally are any of these cars more reliable etc than the others.

thanks again for the notes..

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - skidpan

I am not a mechanic but I have a brilliant independent guy that saves me money

He does not save you money. He may charges less than a main dealer for the same job (hopefully) but he still presents you with a bill.

If you really want to save money stop driving.

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - oldroverboy.

Thanks for the comments.

I have had over 65 cars ( just not these ) and over 50 of those have been under £1000

Note: How long did your average purchase last?

50 cars at under £1000 and 15 "over", so If i get this, you are of working age and at a guessed average of £1000 ish over all that is £65,000 ish in how many driving years? which could easily have bought you 6 or 7 nearly new cars which would have had some manufacturers warranty and less money to give to insurance companies for admin fees, less mot's and little bits that you give to your indy...

My current Kia venga cost me £9000 less than a year old, 5 years servicing for £329 (the first 3 were included in the price of the car.).. I paid only for the "upgrade".... warranty till 2022... peace of mind, low insurance costs with a good company..

Your way or my way, and i will have spent less than you?

Thanks for the comment but a lot of the cars were less than £500 and why my way...well I've had so much fun !

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - S40 Man

If you have a smallish budget would a mk4 Mondeo fit the bill. Similar size to BMW 5 or Passat.

For the same money you will get newer/less leggy car. I have a 2.0 tdci and have taken it from 100k to 180k so they can do big miles.

I've needed a new serpentine belt and power steering needs new fluid periodically but reliability is ok I reckon.

HJ gives this model 5* he's right they drive nicely.

Thanks..I'll have a look at these as well

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - gordonbennet

You could do worse than look at similar to what has been and test driven in another current thread where budget is preferred at this level, Honda Accord or its slightly smaller sister Civic 2.0 type S, or the good old Avensis.

Though you would probably find lower mileage and fewer previous owners with Hyundai Sonata/Kia Magentis.

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - SLO76
The E39 5 series was and still is a cracking big car (if you can find a good one) and really the last properly made BMW but at this age and money and with any of the cars you've listed you have got to be able to cope with a catastrophic failure that will write the car off. If you can aford to lose that £1,200 then running an old smoker like this can be a laugh. But if you want a premium badge it's a total punt.

I've been doing it for years, even now with two newer cars we usually keep an old runner for abandoning at the station/pub. I get a kick from beating the system and to date I haven't suffered a single breakdown or major failure. I do however generally stick to mass produced metal and mostly Japanese.

If it's just a bit of fun and you're not depending on getting any of that money back then have a gamble on a petrol E39 but don't touch a BMW diesel at this money, they are trouble with a capital T. The petrol six is greedy but they're pretty robust if looked after. Suspension complonents will need constant replacement though. They're big heavy motors and are hard on bushes and springs seem to snap far more often than average.

The Jag X type was never a great motor even new but if you can find one without rotten sills then the most basic 2.1 V6 is hardy but thirsty. The bigger petrols are all 4wd and suffer rear diff problems while the Ford diesels are gutsy and economical but crap reliability wise and should be avoided at all costs.

The Saab 9-3 hails from the days when GM were starving the firm of funds and is basically a Vectra underneath with less space and poorer built too. Fiat diesel 1.9's suffer 101 expensive issues and again not worth thinking about at this money. Find a decent 1.8 non-turbo petrol and it should provide reliable enough transport but remember some parts are hard to get particularly trim and electrical components.

The Passat is probably the sensible option. Far better made than anything other than the Audi and you'll get more for your money compared to that. Timing belt will be due or overdue on any you look at for this money so budget on £300-£400 to do it and water pump if you want it to last. Well able of doing 500k with the right care.

If however you just want reliable day to day transport and can't aford to take risks then go find a good Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Astra or Mitsubishi Lancer. Don't buy an old premium badge Diesel if you're on a tight budget unless you've the luck of the Irish you'll come a cropper.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/02/2017 at 20:00

Thanks for that really extensive answer

Re the Saab..I have been offered a SAAB 2.0 Vector with 160k miles, full 12 months MOT, full service..hes asking £750 ?

Re the passat , do you mean the 1.9Tdi is a good engine ?

Re the others Focus, Mazda 3, Lamcer etc I presume you mean petrol versions ?

cheers

The Saab is next to worthless, worth a cheeky bid of £500 if it runs but could expire in a cloud of steam at any moment or you might get lucky. Don't get it mixed up with the bombproof Saabs of old, these are poorly made cars, decent engine though. A total punt, if you like a gamble.

The VAG 1.9 PD TDi is a great engine and at its best in the Passat B5.5 from 2000-2005. Probably the best car VW has ever made in my opinion as far as longevity is concerned. Daft 4yr timing belt interval is a costly pain but if it's cheap it might be worth just running til it drops. Flogged one recently for £400 with 175k and new owner is still delighted with it.

Yup, the bulk of cars I'd buy at this money are all simple 4cyl non-turbocharged petrols. The Mazda is a hoot to drive, brilliant handling and rifle bolt gearchange. The 1.6 petrol isn't quick but its chain driven so no belt to worry about and a far nicer thing in every way than an old GM Saab. Isofix rear seats rare at this money and helps with resale. If you need more go then 2.0 Sports are fairly common and no dearer to buy.

Any Focus is fun to drive but avoid the diesels they're not worth the grief. I prefer the sweet revving Yamaha designed 1600 petrol but the old Zetec 1800 and 2.0 are ok. The Mazda is based on the same platform and shares its suspension so drives very similar but tends to be more reliable.

Ditto the others, keep it simple, stick to petrol and forget how fast it goes or how many toys it has. Priority at this money is running costs and reliability.

Thanks again..

Can I throw another three into the mix..

Honda CRV 2.0

Peugeot 406 2.0 Hdi

Honda Accord 2.2 CTdi

cheers

I own a CRV but a MK I or II at this money will be thirsty, 25mpg in day to day use. I'd sooner have an post 2003 Accord which in 2.0 petrol form is one of the best cheap used cars on the market. Very pleasant to drive, no timing belt and will do 35mpg. Estates a useful tool and can be found around £1k. The 2.2 diesel is good but will have mega miles at this money and suffers plenty of problems you'll avoid with a good petrol.

The Pug 406 was the last good Peugeot and the 2.0 HDi 8v is well able to do massive mileages. I've flogged ex taxis with 300k upwards and know of one that was still running at 800k. But they're old now and French electronics are a bit rubbish. Good cheap runner if you don't mind a few electrical gremlins.

Re the accord.. auto or manual..or doesnt matter ?

Auto uses a bit more fuel but there's nothing much to fear from it. Buy on condition and history above all.

If a nuclear bomb is ever dropped all that will be left is probably a cockroach and a 406 diesel.....

Very hardy cars but are actually going up in value now for decent ones. The speedo may pack up, the displays will probably go awry but they plod on and on.

The X-Type and Mondeo diesels are prone to rattly dual mass flywheels and the injectors can wear causing poor cold starting and limp mode when booted. There are lots about with stupid mileages on though so really aren't that bad. The aux belts can also chatter a lot and the only real fix is a new tensioner and ideally a new crank dampner as well. Most of their issues are down to idiots who don't know what they are doing trying to fix them.

If looking at Saabs the pre-facelift 9-5 is actually a much better built and more comfortable car than the 2002-on 9-3. The 9-3 has some common and horribly expensive electrical issues and is pretty cheap and nasty in places.

Only thing in my experience on the Accord diesels which is common is rattling cam chains on early models and it is not unkown for the manifiold to crack.

Also look out for dodgy ABS/VSA units (will bring light up on dash) which is common to petrols and diesels.

Very decent cars if you can find a nice one.

BMW or Passat or Xtype or Audi for under £1200 - RaineMan

I brought an X-Type six months ago. You do need a fighting fund for the unexpected though. I got a three month warrany for the car but the various T&Cs (dare I call them loopholes) meant I had to pay half! Despite the tyres having 5mm of tread on purchase I have now replaced them all (one burst, one got a nail through it where the sidewall/tread meet and a third showed signs that there was a sidewall issue). Recently I have had to rebush the rear suspension and I suspect it should not have passed the new MOT I got with the vehicle. However it is a great car if a little thirsty (petrol)!

Ok...I have my list to go and look at ( with my wife who always has a say ! )

VW Passat 1.9 Tdi

Jag Xtype 2.0D

406 Hdi

Mazda3 1.6 or 2.0 petrol

Accord 2.0 VTec Post 2003

...and maybe but I think out of my price range

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDci Post 2005

...and maybe but not sure about style

Saab 9-5 2.0

..I can see some visits needed...