Even traffic police must eat. - David Woollard
Had to nip about a bit this morning, unusually for me, with car/parts to collect and an erly MOT to do.

Used a few miles of the motorway and town dual carriageways at commuter time. Driving sensibly but using every chance to get on. Came upon an unmarked traffic car going the same way in the same manner. We swapped positions (behind/in front) and lanes several times but basically ended up in the same proximity for ages.

Thought perhaps I was being a bit cheeky not slowing down to 65mph and avoiding him like most others. Then after a (non-contact) incident in front that caused us both to brake hard he slotted in behind and followed for the next dozen turns through town.

As I neared my destination I was so sure he would pull into the car park behind me and have a chat my mind went through the check list....Tax, MOT, tyres, upstanding citizen (!) and so on.

Just in the last few yards before my stop he pulled off behind me..............into the McDonalds Drive Through.

How I laughed.

David
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - public
er they are NOT allowed to eat in public in uniform, yet another rule they break on a regular basis... (police regs, ACPO guidelines etc make great comic reading)
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - sam
or maybe they are following up on the conviction of a mcdonalds francise reported yesterday for use of under age staff for too many hours

probably not... young kids dont deserve protection eh?
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - Dwight Van-Driver
Did you see/hear why they went into McDonalds David? Sounds by the manner in which you were driving all you saw was car pull into place.
How do you know it was an unmarked Traffic Car? If the occupants were in uniform could they have been Prison Officers or a host of other occupations wearing unform/dayglow coats etc etc.
Even if PC's could they have been attending a reported crime?
Prove you case man, not just inuendos....
You may need their help one day so no sly digs please.
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - Dwight Van-Driver
Did you see/hear why they went into McDonalds David? Sounds by the manner in which you were driving all you saw was car pull into place.
How do you know it was an unmarked Traffic Car? If the occupants were in uniform could they have been Prison Officers or a host of other occupations wearing unform/dayglow coats etc etc.
Even if PC's could they have been attending a reported crime?
Prove you case man, not just inuendos....
You may need their help one day so no sly digs please.
yea and if you had needed their help (like they come across you being rear ended) they are very reluctant to do anything (as happened to tiff from bbc's top gear)

however they are very up on sp30 tickets (less paperwork and good for the stats)
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - David Woollard
Harry,

Good natured humour and just a story to cheer up you chaps on a rainy day, that's all. If you look at past threads you'll see I'm one of the few that support traffic police. As I have said before I see them as non-threatening and still someone who's help you may need one day.

Re proof: I'm old enough to know if it looks like an orange, smells like an orange and tastes like an orange then it most likely is an orange.

David
have a look at www.policecorruption.co.uk and the chat forum feedback points at...

I take it you havent been stopped recently...
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - Jonathan
David Wollard wrote:

"...if it looks like an orange, smells like an orange and tastes like an orange then it most likely is an orange"

How do you know my wife?

Jonathan
Orangey wives. - David Woollard
Jonathon,

You're describing your wife as fragrant then.......she'll be pleased. That word is a little debased now after the first trial judge used it of Mary Archer...and look where that all ended up.

David
Even traffic police must eat. - Guy Lacey
I'm in David Woollard's corner here although I don't share his same passion for traffic police.

If there was a crime being committed in McDonalds it would have to be something serious otherwise they would just take the victims name and address over the phone and send the stock "We hear you are a victim of crime....." letter followed by the Crime Ref letter to satisfy the insurers.

No, second thoughts, there was probably a cyclist without the regulation reflectors on his spokes. If a serious crime were being committed the police would have been travelling in the other direction.
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - Dai Watchalowski
Crap,
Chief Constable of North Wales Police has suggested that his Officers eat in public to increase public visibility. There was quite a debate about it locally as Mr Brunstrom seemed to suggest that the best eatery for them to visit was a McDs. The local Plods on the ground are against it as they prefer to be out of public view when eating. Also, I am told, that the Little Chefs have an agreement with the local Traffic dept to encorage Officers to visit them during mealbreaks.
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - tony
if this is true then "eating with the public" is a new innovation, and certainly was against the rules until fairly recently... (although they did regularly break this rule, but if you complained they would have been in trouble)

i can only commend plod for actually trying new ideas and trying to improve the world they live in (for once)...

its probably more to do with senior plod management trying to claw back some extra man time by reducing the number of journeys back to the nick for the boys to eat...
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - Dai Watchalowski
yes, I failed to mention that Point - Police (troops as opposed to Chiefs) opinion was exactly this - apparantly fast food junk joints are better placed than most local nicks these days (thanks to the death of town and city centres)
should improve their already outstanding fitness levels even more then
Well actually re ", but if you complained they would have been in trouble" what is meant is if you compained and you were a senior officer to them they would have been in trouble

complaints from the public would get caught up in paper shuffling waffle and time wasting, if the police complaints authority and senior police management can do such a bad job of serious stuff (coppers shooting people for instance) then a complaint for eating in public probably wouldnt result in much...
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - Alvin Booth
You Guys get worse....
As I read down the link from Davids semi-humourous account of being followed by two men (who could simply have been after his body) I half expected one of you reporting that you had been pulled by traffic cops for being 5mph over the limit and beaten senseless by these drug crazed servants of the state. Had your wallet stolen and then given a ticket.
Or maybe that's still to come....

Alvin
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - Piers
When I went to the local police station to report that someone in a 4x4 had rammed the back of my car on a wet country lane I was told they were busy and had more important things to do. Fair enough, but surely one of the 3 coppers in uniform in the back office who were watching the tennis on the telly could have spared a few seconds - perhaps between sets?

When I got knocked of my bike a copper attending said he was more concerned about the damage my bike did to the car as it drove over my bike than the damage to my bike and the fact the driver was on the phone..... Still, I was a student in a University town so was marked down as a trouble maker from the start - individual students were always looking for fights with gangs of locals (and throwing themselves in the river and taking up space in the A&E dept of the hospital.......)

Piers
Re: Even traffic police must eat. - citizen
i really think many ordinary bobbies who joined young for all the right reasons just fail to see how c**p their service is to the ordinary hardworking citizen, they mix comments like those on this forum up with the daily abuse they get from the scum they have to deal with... Most of the people on this forum are not scum we are just frustrated with c**p service and persecution (in the case of minor speeding)

they dont get the same hassles/c**p service we do because their warrent card (if its needed out of town where they are not recognised for what they are) and knowledge smooth their way through endless hassles we have to put up with...

Only occasionally does the system turn against a bobby (for instance they try blowing the whistle on their own forces worse excesses), and then they start seeing it from our perspective...

Main problem seems to be with the senior managers of police forces, who seem to be able to ride through all sorts of poor service issues aided and helped by the poor quality of the complaints system...

Good on them if they are restrained and diplomatic, they can hardly expect the rest of us to be likewise...

Try reporting your car nicked and seeing how impolite/poor the response is
Try complaining that lots of stereos get nicked out of your local car park
Listen to the abuse you get for driving much slower than the average off duty bobby ever does...

We pay their wages, we deserve better!

Value my car