Hit by foreign lorry - how can I prove he's lying? - Sarah Sherwood

I was hit by a left-hand drive lorry on the M25 near Clackett Lane. I was in lane 3 when he pulled out from lane 2 into the side of my car sending me spinning across the motorway and writing off the car. No one else stopped at the scene although a number of other drivers must have witnessed the incident as traffic was extremely heavy at the time. I dialled 999 and the Highways Agency came to clear the road but no police attended the scene as there were no injuries. At the time the lorry driver was extremely apologetic and admitted complete liability for the incident. He was also very worried about the police checking his tachograph as he had already been driving for 10 hours which I think is illegal?

My insurers have contacted his via the UK handling centre, he is now lying, saying that I drove into him not the other way round.

I am sure lots of people must be a victim of this sort of thing - is there anything I can do to prove he is lying?

i.e. is there a way to get hold of my recorded 999 call, or to find out if anyone else dialled 999 / 101 and reported the incident at the time, or to get footage from CCTV etc...

...given that no-one was hurt I don't suppose the authorities will be very keen to help me?

Hit by foreign lorry - how can I prove he's lying? - FP

I don't wish to comment at the moment, but it strikes me that this thread is in the wrong forum.

Maybe it shoud be "Legal" or "Motoring".

Edited by FP on 03/02/2017 at 12:48

Hit by foreign lorry - how can I prove he's lying? - daveyjp

Without evidence you can't prove anything. Without evidence it may well go 50:50.

Enquire if there is any CCTV of the area - Highways Agency may have something.

If you drive a lot invest in dashcams, front and rear facing.

Hit by foreign lorry - how can I prove he's lying? - Avant

Moved to Legal section.

Hit by foreign lorry - how can I prove he's lying? - gordonbennet

Yes i'm afraid a dashcam is now a must have, not a fashion accessory, unless they are involved almost no one stops any more, understandable in some ways but another nail in the coffin of our once decent country.

One of our chaps was reversed into by Johnny Foreigner in a traffic jam on the motorway at night, much damage, JF starts shouting the odds 'you ran into the back of me', our driver simply points to the dashcam, at which point JF jumps back in his lorry and does a runner.

Sorry OP, the old bill will be of no help whatsoever, it's just how it is now, it might have been better had you been ''hurt'' requiring their attendance, but that is too late now.

As an aside, extreme care should be taken when near any lorry these days, try not to be running alongside one, and never assume by road positioning that a lorry is going in a certain direction, foreign drivers do things differently and there is a mindset among some that anything behind their immediate field of vision doesn't exist (i'm quite serious here, some are very good some are not), so if you're going to go past one do it swiftly and get out of harms way, if baulked by other vehicles ahead in your lane don't go along side one till your exit is clear.

Hit by foreign lorry - how can I prove he's lying? - Dwight Van Driver

Unfortunately Sarah you hit the nail on the head

>>>>>.given that no-one was hurt I don't suppose the authorities will be very keen to help me?<<<<< Providing details exchanged i.e, law complied with and no injury Plod tend to leave to Insurance Co to sort thereby rank bad driving does not punished.

Your faced with a hellofa task to prove you were in the outer lane and JF made an illegal move to the third lane in an hgv unless a witness can be found.

Can only suggest you have a word with local plod to see if the accident was nine nine nined and name of reportee obtained. Area covered by CCTV by police control or Highways agency????

Keep my fingers crossed for you

dvd