Buying Private - Seller keeping 'Private' Reg No. - mondeoman2013

Hi,

I've seen a car I am interested in buying , but the seller wants to keep the 'private' reg number.

It is a private sale , not trade.

There is plenty of info out there on how to retain a number but what is the protocol for buying such a car.

I presume that once he retains the reg number his v5 is invalid , so no good to a buyer.

Would the buyer need to wait for a new V5 to be recieved by the seller before buying the car or is there a recognised way of dealing with this issue.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Buying Private - Seller keeping 'Private' Reg No. - RobJP

It's quite simple. The vendor - NOW - applies for the number plate to go onto retention.

When the new V5 comes through (this is currently taking about a week) they sell you the car, you complete the V5 and it all gets done.

Do NOT complete the V5 paperwork on the old V5 with the private plate on it - if they've done the retention then this in not valid.

Buying Private - Seller keeping 'Private' Reg No. - Andrew-T

Many years ago I bought a car which had been on a 'cherished' plate - it just reverted to the standard reg it started with. I guess some cars are registered new with a private plate, probably transferred from the previous car.

Don't know how to do it privately, but DVLA must be able to say.

Buying Private - Seller keeping 'Private' Reg No. - Falkirk Bairn

Make sure you see thye new V5 & that he/she has bought the new plates - you have to road tax it right away as he will get a refund on his unused months.