All - Luxury Car Desire... - Natalia

What do you think influences the purchase of luxury branded cars?

When making that all important decision of buying that new luxury car, what motivates you to choose the £60,000 car, over the £10,000 economically friendly purchase?
They both do the same job, don’t they?

Is it the plush seats?

The purring of the engine when you rev?

What your friends think? – Your girlfriend? The female you’re trying to impress?

Does the influence of social groups encourage what car people buy?

If all your friends had Vauxhall Corsa’s, would you still be so desperate for that Mercedes CLA sport?

Does the brand of a car hugely impact purchase decisions?

If you don’t desire a luxury car, what do you think makes other men (or women) desire these expensive luxury cars?

What do you think makes people choose the cheaper economically friendly car?

I know, so many questions!!

Edited by Natalia on 18/01/2017 at 17:36

All - Luxury Car Desire... - nailit

Money .... or lack of.

All - Luxury Car Desire... - Avant

"What your friends think? – Your girlfriend? The female you’re trying to impress?"

Admittedly most of the members of this forum are male, but it isn't only men who buy luxury cars. And why is 'trying' in italics? - it gives the impression that you have some axe to grind.

Human beings are all different, and there is a huge variety of reasons why people choose the cars they do. Money is a crucial factor but not the only one, although I think I can say safely that most people in the market for a £10,000 car will not also be looking at cars costing £60,000, and vice versa.

Would you like to tell us what's prompted your questions? Just personal interest, or are you doing a research project?

All - Luxury Car Desire... - oldroverboy.

To answer partially,

I can't afford most things i want, but all of those things I need.

Spend £60,000+ on a rapidly depreciating asset that will do things no better than my £9000 kia venga. badge snobbery nah.. beautiful women ( i have never previously admitted on this forum , but swmbo is Beautiful) ( have seen one other forum members wife and they have met mine!)

my biggest recent purchase... a couple of B&O loudspeakers £600 worth.. but no need for more.

The only person i want to impress is me and that is only because i am "mean" as one ex-girlfriend said before..(many years ago) (then became an ex!) miserly yes with myself, generous with friends and family..

Lets just call it not being in debt.

All - Luxury Car Desire... - RT

What do you think influences the purchase of luxury branded cars?

When making that all important decision of buying that new luxury car, what motivates you to choose the £60,000 car, over the £10,000 economically friendly purchase?
They both do the same job, don’t they?

Is it the plush seats? YES

The purring of the engine when you rev? NO - SILENCE NEEDED

What your friends think? – Your girlfriend? The female you’re trying to impress? NO

Does the influence of social groups encourage what car people buy? NO

If all your friends had Vauxhall Corsa’s, would you still be so desperate for that Mercedes CLA sport? NO

Does the brand of a car hugely impact purchase decisions? NO

If you don’t desire a luxury car, what do you think makes other men (or women) desire these expensive luxury cars? IMAGE

What do you think makes people choose the cheaper economically friendly car? LACK OF MONEY

I know, so many questions!! WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW

All - Luxury Car Desire... - nailit

I have no doubt many who post in here could purchase a 60k car without going into debt. I may or may not be one, but why would anyone reply to a post like yours is beyond apprehension. Please try again, sorry.

All - Luxury Car Desire... - gordonbennet

The questions seem aimed at a lads mag type audience.

The difference between a £60k car and £10k car in that they do the same job? that question hardly deserves an answer.

Plush seats? well yes nicer to be in warm safe comfort than in some boneshaker.

Loud/sporty engine when being revved? well if you're mentally or emotionally 14 years old then yes a loud exhaust to compliment your reversed baseball cap would be ideal, some groups of immature young men are impressed by such things, the rest of us couldn't really care less.

Impressing girlfriend? i doubt anyone here would want anything to do with a woman who's attracted by a car, gold-digger alarms ringing loud, but each to their own.

Social groups? what's a social group when it's at home, is that the same as fitting in or so called peer pressure? well to be perfectly honest i couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of my car choice, if it annoys certain types of people (and i'm sure it does because its a large 4x4) then i regard that as a bonus, and i doubt if there'es anyone else here who gives a damn what i drive nor cares what i think about their choice.

Other people's desires? it takes all sorts to make a world, so the reasons why are limitless.

Cheaper cars? most people cut their cloth according to their means, there are many well off people who run cheap new or cheap old cars for a vareity of reasons too, each to their own.

As for me, i buy what i want, i have no interest in the badge, other than i respect Toyota and other Japanese makes for many reasons, mainly because they stand by their product and don't rely on buyers completing R&D, hence i drive a 12 year old Landcruiser and my wife drives her totally reliable 15 year old Subaru, which is her muddy dog carrier, we also have what was once a luxury car, a 21 year old Merc, i wonder if people look down on us because we run (and prefer) old cars, i do hope so.

All - Luxury Car Desire... - SLO76
So many questions and so many possible answers. Personally today I don't buy to impress others but there was a time when I would/did. The BMW Coupe with bright red seats i bought in my mid twenties was a fine example of buying to impress others. A daft waste of money, didn't even like the thing.

Now I value quality, reliability and comfort over all else and if that comes with a prestige badge or a more mainstream one then I care not a jot about whether that impresses or offends others. It's bought to please only one person... me. Shame it took my twenties to figure this out but that's youth for you.

I've a good friend who f***s out a fortune on a leased Porsche 911 every month yet he knows next to nothing about motors. If he's honest with himself it's just transport to him but he cares too much about impressing others and has crippled his finances to do so.

The truth that takes you so long to learn (some never do) is that buying a car to impress others is pointless. Your friends don't care what you drive and the opinions of strangers you'll never meet are irrelevant. So buy whatever tickles yer fancy.
All - Luxury Car Desire... - brum

Funny the op should ask, I was thinking this very thing about what makes people buy expensive fancy new cars over the last couple of days.

My conclusion was that a lot of purchases of ”luxury" vehicles is driven by a desire to impress, project an image and plain narcissism. I call it a lack of self esteem combined with more money than sense.

As a young lad, I was always a bit jealous of the guys that had flash motors. Today, I look at 60+ yr old driving an open top sports car as sad, a young tart driving an expensive oversized 4x4 tractor as a sad reflection on society, or a politician, local or national arriving in a luxury limo (usually a black bmw) as a plague on society that should be eradicated.

Funny the op should ask, I was thinking this very thing about what makes people buy expensive fancy new cars over the last couple of days.

My conclusion was that a lot of purchases of ”luxury" vehicles is driven by a desire to impress, project an image and plain narcissism. I call it a lack of self esteem combined with more money than sense.

I'm sure there are some like that, maybe many - but speaking for myself I've no need or wish to impress, I don't give s*** about image so not narcissism in the least - I've got the money because I have got sense, not in spite of it.

I buy on "functional specification" and would have spent more if a model suited MY needs better.

Edited by RT on 18/01/2017 at 18:58

Does "MY" in capitals indicate a narcissistic tendency? ;)

Does "MY" in capitals indicate a narcissistic tendency? ;)

No - it indicates a selfishness that buys what I want.

"excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one's physical appearance" - I doubt anyone ever says that of me!

Obviously very touchy though, it was meant to be a joke!

:(

Edited by brum on 18/01/2017 at 19:40