Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - logger

I'm not thinking about the obvious ( history, maintenance etc )

I'm thinking of the UK government !

We are looking around 3k for a diesel but a bit concerned that in April or some other time next year the government is going to slap a massive tax on diesel and their owners or even ban them from some towns

Am I being over concerned ie it will be a good few years before anything major happens

cheers

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - Bromptonaut

At the end of the day it's all guesswork.

Further loading fuel duty for diesel is difficult unless there's a seperate regime for LGV, PSV etc.

Loading on VED to reflect NoX as well as CO2 is a possibility.

Restrictions in big cities, eg inner London, where Nox is already way too high is almost a cert.

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - RT

At the end of the day it's all guesswork.

Further loading fuel duty for diesel is difficult unless there's a seperate regime for LGV, PSV etc.

Loading on VED to reflect NoX as well as CO2 is a possibility.

Restrictions in big cities, eg inner London, where Nox is already way too high is almost a cert.

NOx isn't rated - all vehicles have to be below a certain g/km figure.

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - focussed

If it's got wheels any government anywhere will look upon it as a source of revenue whatever it's powered by- petrol - diesel- electricity-hydrogen - clockwork - wind up elastic - etc!

Wait until electric cars get popular, the government will lose tax revenue from fuel duty and then will tax electric vehicles "because of the CO2 emissions from the power stations that we had to build to charge the cars" -wait and see!

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - alpha_india

Minimise the risk by buying the most recent Euro compliant diesel you can - Euro6 if you can afford it, otherwise not below Euro5.

Euro6 has brought in the toughest NOx requirements. It's not going to belong before this becomes the minimum for qualifying to enter low emission zones in the worst polluted cities (some German cities are talking about this), but you've the likes of Paris discussing banning all diesels by 2025.

How much driving do you do in the centre of big cities?

Minimise the risk by buying the most recent Euro compliant diesel you can - Euro6 if you can afford it, otherwise not below Euro5.

Euro6 has brought in the toughest NOx requirements. It's not going to belong before this becomes the minimum for qualifying to enter low emission zones in the worst polluted cities (some German cities are talking about this), but you've the likes of Paris discussing banning all diesels by 2025.

How much driving do you do in the centre of big cities?

Some cities are talking about starting by banning any diesel pre-Euro 6.

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - SLO76
Though you can never be too sure what politicians will do I doubt they'll load the price of diesel. It would damage the haulage industry and be unfair to retroactively attack the choice of car or van people have already made. They'll instead restrict older diesels from entering an ever increasing number of city centres and will continue to introduce further draconian emissions legislation which is already making them too expensive to engineer.

The might also increase annual tax rates on new diesels to further their intention of pushing us into Hybrid and electric cars but as with all political decisions they're based on the flawed data they're presented with. Official Hybrid fuel usage figures for example as so wildly inaccurate that no rational choices can be made based on it.

Mitsubishi's Outlander PHEV plug in Hybrid has an official average figure in excess of in excess of 150mpg yet I've not seen a test yet where it will beat a conventional Honda CRV 1.6 diesel's true average figure. It's doing barely a third of its official figure yet important Political choices are being made by people who don't research the accuracy of the figures infront of them.
Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - brum

Could be that London, Manchester etc are no go zones for many diesel cars within 4 years. What happens to their used value if that goes ahead?

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - gordonbennet

Could be that London, Manchester etc are no go zones for many diesel cars within 4 years. What happens to their used value if that goes ahead?

Name yer price, absolutely impossible then to be cajoled into visiting either of the hellish dumps unless i'm in my work vehicle being paid, result.

Logger i would say given your budget the chances of motoring life changing legislation in its expected service life is very low.

At a guess the new London Mayor will be the first to make a name (possibly not the one he wanted) for himself by banning older Diesels asap, he'll want to appear greener than Boris.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/01/2017 at 20:33

Thanks for the answers

re the city..dont think that will affect me as I probably go into manchester or liverpool 4 or 5 times a year

As I will only be spending £3k I'm not worried if in 5 years time its not worth anything as it probably wont anyway

I was more concerned that if I bought a used diesel today in the April budget it will suddenlt cost me an extra £500 a year.

How do I know if something is Euro 5 or 6 ?.. I was thinking of a Seat Leon 2.0 Tdi around 06 reg

Thanks for the answers

re the city..dont think that will affect me as I probably go into manchester or liverpool 4 or 5 times a year

As I will only be spending £3k I'm not worried if in 5 years time its not worth anything as it probably wont anyway

I was more concerned that if I bought a used diesel today in the April budget it will suddenlt cost me an extra £500 a year.

How do I know if something is Euro 5 or 6 ?.. I was thinking of a Seat Leon 2.0 Tdi around 06 reg

An 06 is probably Euro 4, mandatory on new cars from January 2005

Oh..then there's no chance with £3k I'll be able to get a Euro 5/6

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - RichardW

£3k will get you a E5 (DPF) but it won't get you a E6 (NOX treatment, eg AdBlue)

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - Steveieb

Take a tip from Taxi drivers. The car by choice was always the VW Passat 1.9Tdi of the 2002 -2005 era.

Its difficult to find one with a mileage below 100k but the AWX engine fitted to the A4, Passat is unbeatable IMHO both on performance and fuel economy.

There are A4 Avants with 330k for sale still fetching £1200 which says it all

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - barney100
I think so many people have diesels that restrictions on them and higher taxes will be a vote loser, I guess nothing too dramatic will happen but sort of a creeping affair.
Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - Gibbo_Wirral

The last vote for a congestion charge in Manchester got a resounding "no".

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7778110.stm

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - skidpan

An 06 is probably Euro 4, mandatory on new cars from January 2005

Euro 4 was mandatory from January 2006. We took delivery of as brand new Euro 3 Focus in December 2005 just as the Euro 4 cars (with DPF's) started comming into the dealers.

Re the 1.9Tdi

Is this the same Tdi engine as in the Seat and Audi A3 or only pre 2006

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - Steveieb
Used throughout the VW group cars the 1.9 Tdi PD pre 2006 has very few issues, no Dpf and according to New Scientist diesels from this era create no more pollution in real world driving conditions than the later Euro specs which as we all know had results that were massaged under test conditions.
Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - gordonbennet
according to New Scientist diesels from this era create no more pollution in real world driving conditions than the later Euro specs

They'll be sent for re-programming in short order carrying on like that, there i can see the vans with blacked out windows manned by extremely fit chaps coming out of the mist as we speak..:)

Is it risk buying a used diesel ? - Engineer Andy

Since when has referrenda stopped politicians doing what they want? Don't forget that old 'Panda eyes' is going for mayor there v.soon and is definitely the sort of (IMO) person who'd bring in that sort of thing.