Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - GSEATG

Hello everyone,

It is great that i got onto this forum and that i am a little closer to finding the answers i need. I won't lie, i did try to sign up to a golf forum but he said that my name was too offensive????? so that is out the window. Anyway i have a Golf Mark II and she is the love of my life. Don't get me wrong i have had to spend endless amounts of money on her to keep her going. then when i thought i had fixed all the problems she decided to seize. here is what happened. I drove to my friends house and parked outside like normal as most people would. The Golf felt a little laggy on the way there i must admit but nothing major. Then as i left my frineds house she just wouldn't start, this was depressing to say the least. Do you guys know where the problem can be located or what it might be?? or is this a whole engine rebuild/write off???

(Link deleted)

Edited by Avant on 30/12/2016 at 01:20

Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - RaineMan

So what is the link for...

Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - SLO76
Has the engine actually seized as you say or does it turn over? When was the oil last changed?
Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - skidpan

i did try to sign up to a golf forum but he said that my name was too offensive

So why not try to sign up with a non offensive name.

Or as suggested above is there something in your link?

Don't expect anyone will be daft enough to find out.

Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - FP

Bizarre post.

We don't need to know about the stupidity with the Golf forum - it's totally irrelevant, so why mention it? It's hardly to the poster's credit.

And the question, which is, basically, why doesn't my car start? No details, no clue, except that it "felt laggy" beforehand.

Then there's the link, without explanation. I wouldn't recommend anyone to click on it.

Apologies to the OP if he's genuine, in which case get back to us and make it more convincing. I doubt it, somehow.

Wow everyone needs to chill out. The reson why i mentioned the Golf forum was because, my first question would be "Why did you not go to the Golf forum?" so it seemed like a good thing to do, my bad. Then the link was just a picture of a Golf MKII..... Nothing special.

And as of the Golf i am telling you as much as i know, I'm no mechanic. There was no engine light before the problem, it was laggy, then it wouldn't start. There was no explosion or pistons bursting through my bonnet, litterally no sign that i could tell.

Oil was fine but i will go down to my friends where my car is if anyone could give me anything to look out for.

Sorry for any miss understanding

Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - RobJP

The problem is, nobody can tell, from the symptoms described, what the problem is.

Worst case, it's a seized engine. Scrap it.

Best case, it's an electrical connection that's come loose. Two minutes under the bonnet and it's fixed.

It could be anywhere between those, and it's simply impossible to tell from your description. You need a competent mechanic, unless you are one yourself.

Worst case, it's a seized engine. Scrap it.

If it is a siezed engine or its beyond your ability/budget to fix it do not scrap a Mk 2 Golf. There is a huge demand for the cars and projects will fetch more than scrap even on sites like e-bay. 3 doors fetch more than 5 doors, the races snap up all the 3 door shells to repair after the inevtiable crashes.

Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - SteVee

Can you add more detail on 'it won't start'.
Does the engine turn over on the starter ?

You say it's locked up - does that mean that the engine won't turn over at all ? In which case it may be seized - this would be serious. It may just be hydraulic lock after a head gasket failure - water is in the combustion chamber and the piston cannot push past the water in its cycle. This is not so serious. Has the car been using water - or is there any water in the oil ?

You might be able to check by taking out the spark plugs and trying to turn the engine by hand. You might be able to then start it - but I would not recommend this - fix it first.

If you've had no warning lights then I would think that the engine has not seized.

I've had a Seat Cupra with a locked transmission (diff failed) - but that would start OK.

As Skidpan says, Golf 2s are still desirable cars - especially GTis. I hope you get it fixed.

That's more like it guys :)

Ok so the starter sounds like it is working and trying to start the engine but the engine sounds empty like there is no pressure if that makes sense.

The water was full but looked dirty/Rusty-ish but it is an ld car...

Its a bonus that i will get more then scap if it has to come to that, but i prefer if it din't for obvious reasons. It is good to have a slight idea of what sme problems could be. After i have been back to check over the Golf. If i'm still sat with no answers i think it will be time to call ut the mechanics and see what they have t say. I will be back soon guys.

Thanks

Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would suggest taking a look at the cambelt. " engine sounds empty like there is no pressure".Could have snapped or sheared off some teeth.

The mechanic will be out today and i will see what he has to say. Iv'e got a few ideas from you guys of what it could be so i am waiting for him to throw that at me. I will be back after.

Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - gordonbennet
The water was full but looked dirty/Rusty-ish but it is an ld car...

Has the coolant (never plain water) ever been changed, there is no reason whatsoever for an engine to have contaminated or anything but clean coolant unless an engine gasket fails in the right/wrong place and engine oil and coolant get mixed or combustion gases enter the water such as with CHG failure, so what other periodic maintenance has been missed?

Cambelt sounds as suspect as anything.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/01/2017 at 09:00

It turns out that my water pump had broken so the engine over heated causing the pistons to sieze, pretty much f*****. Now i have seen a new engine on here www.for-sale.co.uk/golf-engine but it going for auction, how much should i expect to pay? or Might i just sell it to highest bidder and start my journey in a newer golf??

Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - gordonbennet

Temp gauge/light didn't give warning of overheating?

Volkswagen Golf II - Golf locked up? help? - SLO76

It turns out that my water pump had broken so the engine over heated causing the pistons to sieze, pretty much f*****. Now i have seen a new engine on here www.for-sale.co.uk/golf-engine but it going for auction, how much should i expect to pay? or Might i just sell it to highest bidder and start my journey in a newer golf??

What model of Mk II is it and what is the condition of the car in general? If it's not a desirable model or it's not in great condition I'd sell it, let someone with the skill to fix it cheaply themselves have a go and buy yourself another budget runabout. You can get a tidy Mk IV for £800-£1,000. I sold a clean, solid 53plate 1.6 S 5dr with 70k for £850 recently that was a good runner.

Temp gauge/light didn't give warning of overheating?

No one looks at gauges or warning lights these days (and all Mk2 Golfs had a gauge and not a light). Why would you want to do that?