Any - Nations scrapyards - S40 Man

Somewhere along the line I have misplaced my dipstick for Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci (doh!).

I thought ok I will pick up a cheap one from a scrapyard. This is proving really hard. I can get a new one from ford for £22 + vat so I thought maybe £10 for a scrapper one. No luck from online scrapyard search engine, phoning direct or eBay breaking cars search. On phone a guy said they won't take one from a good engine which is ok but there must be some dead engines with useable dipstick? 1.8 tdci has loads which could be worrying if you have this engine. The only ones I could find were more expensive than a brand new one seems very odd?

Any - Nations scrapyards - Bromptonaut

Hopefully the oil stays in the engine in absence of dipstick.

Inadvertently failed to push it fully home on our Berlingo. Gout of oil all over the DPF. Managed to clean it off with a jumbo k****** roll but it still smelled smoky for several days.

Any - Nations scrapyards - focussed

Manufacturers sometimes change the length and markings on dipsticks from year to year production of the same engine. Go to a Ford dealer with the VIN of the car to be sure of getting the correct part.

I will get a new one today, my service light came on this week anyway so I will need dipstick to check oil level post service. It will only cost an extra £10-15 my point was rather that it seems very difficult/impossible to get one from a scrapyard, it was more a generic discussion about scrapyards

Any - Nations scrapyards - RT

I will get a new one today, my service light came on this week anyway so I will need dipstick to check oil level post service. It will only cost an extra £10-15 my point was rather that it seems very difficult/impossible to get one from a scrapyard, it was more a generic discussion about scrapyards

Scrapyards only want to remove/sell complete assemblies, not idividual components - the next customer might need the complete assembly.

All fine, I capped the hole already and anyway it didn't spray oil around anyway.

Any - Nations scrapyards - Sofa Spud

Now you've bought a new dipstick, you'll probably find the old one, which you can then sell on Ebay!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 29/12/2016 at 12:13

I already found half of it in the dipstick tube, the head snapped off at some point. At least it wasn't me that did something stupid! Tomorrows fun, extracting the old one. I could see it with a torch and the new dipstick would go far into the hole. Wish me luck.

Thanks for helpful comments.

Any - Nations scrapyards - Andrew-T

Tomorrows fun, extracting the old one. I could see it with a torch and the new dipstick would go far into the hole. Wish me luck.

Might you be able to wrap a small elastic band tightly round the new stick, and drag the broken one out by friction ??

Edited by Andrew-T on 30/12/2016 at 17:46

Any - Nations scrapyards - bathtub tom

In my experience, dipstick tubes are either screwed in (older cars), or just pushed in.

You may do worse than trying to remove the dipstick tube and then getting the old dipstick out, rather than pushing the remains of the old dipstick into the sump - although it may not do any damage if you do.

All sorted thanks. I improvised with a drill bit and thin metal tube from a gas lighter, only took 5 mins 10 including dismantling gas lighter. A metal rather than plastic dipstick might be more reliable but I suppose all cars are made to a cost point.

Any - Nations scrapyards - hillman

S40 Man, did you say plastic dipstick ?