Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - boro-boy

I would be really grateful for anyones help on this. To cut a long story short the car cut out, out of the blue after making a horrible noise - no warning lights etc. all the engine oil was dumped on the road and the engine bay. Was recovered to local main dealer who said the oil filter was loose by at least 1 1/2 turns and had ruined the engine. Nissan will not look at it as the car was 7k past its service schedule. Do oil filters just come loose with no warning or was it incorrectly fitted in the first place (nissan main dealer)?

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - Falkirk Bairn

Both Nissan & Main Dealer have get out of jail cards - service missed by 7,000 miles - I am afraid you are on your own on this one.

Even if you could not afford a service an oil change & filter change would have been less than £60/£70 at an Independent.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - skidpan

If it had been serviced at the correct time you may have had a chance but by leaving it 7000 you have scored a major own goal.

If it had been fitted loose many 1000's of miles ago it would have failed long ago.

Afraid you are on your own.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - Galaxy

Oil filters don't come loose. It wasn't correctly tightened when fitted.

I'd be pursuing the dealer for a free repair if I were you. Take them to the small claims court if you have to. However, do beware they might use the 7000 miles past the service interval against you.

Edited by Galaxy on 28/12/2016 at 17:56

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - Falkirk Bairn

A son had his wife's mini serviced - drove the 10 miles home

Got home & the contents of the engine landed on the driveway. Garage coughed for the car damage BUT refused to get the driveway sorted (brand new house) - 1 lawyer's letter & they paid for relaying, lawyer fee & sent flowers - power washing failed to fix the bricks!

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - gordonbennet

I don't think they suddenly come loose after what? 17000 miles.

We do not know what has happened here, but i cannot see a filter suddenly undoing itself at 17k miles, i would have expected an oil leak to show itself by puddles under the car long before it gushed the lot out.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - RobJP

I think the Qashqai has a service interval of 18k miles. For it to be 7k over time means 25k miles since the car has been worked on.

Your own negligence damns you, I'm afraid.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - SLO76
"Nissan will not look at it as the car was 7k past its service schedule"

How long in time has the car been run since its last oil and filter change, are we talking years? Did the filter come loose or has it rusted through with age? Seen this recently on a neglected Ford Focus owned by a friend, the oil had poured out ruining the engine via a rusted filter that had been on the car for years. They're not designed to last more than a year.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/12/2016 at 19:49

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - boro-boy

filter change was done in dec 15, bought in feb 16 broke down august bank holiday 16.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - SLO76

filter change was done in dec 15, bought in feb 16 broke down august bank holiday 16.

Did the filter come loose or was it corroded? I've seen cars with faked history before that've never seen spanners in years. It is possible that it was incorrectly fitted, I experienced this with a 318 BMW many years back but fortunately I always lift the bonnet for a wee look after a service to see if they've actually done it properly and spotted the oil everywhere before it could cause any damage but I'm surprised it took a year to come off your car and there was no oil slick on the driveway. Often basic servicing is left to apprentices and mistakes are common it's also not unheard of for dodgy staff to nick parts Including oil and filters for their own cars or homers and customers cars are left with nothing more than a wash and lights and levels check, filter gets a wipe to make it look fresh. Our local independent Honda dealer was notorious for this back in the 80's/90's. You've my every sympathy but sadly I can't see how you'll be able to prove this in the eyes of the law. If it had been a few days or weeks after the service then yes but it'll be hard to prove that someone else hadn't removed or fiddled with it plus regular checks are advised in the handbook regarding oil, coolant and tyres which would've caught this disaster before it happened. Speak to the trading standards, they may take it up, try a lawyers letter if you're willing to spend a bit on a lost cause and they might offer some goodwill but it's just too late to pull them up. Expensive lesson in motoring and a reminder to all to carry out regular checks and to look under the hood after a service to see nothing's amiss.

How many miles had it done since the last service, and what SHOULD the service interval be ?

I just don't see an incorrectly fitted filter housing lasting that long before coming loose - it's the sort of thing that happens in hours or days, not 6 months.

To prove any sort of negligence, you would have to show that the person failed to carry out their job diligently. The fact that it lasted for 6 months indicates that the job WAS carried out diligently. You would have to PROVE (with an engineer's report) that they failed to do so to have any claim. The matter is complicated further by your own negligence (i.e. lack of diligence) in ensuring the car was maintained properly.

Edited by RobJP on 28/12/2016 at 21:27

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - nailit

Deleted

Edited by nailit on 28/12/2016 at 21:35

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - focussed

Has anyone actually investigated the filter? IE removed it to check if there are two sealing rings between the filter and the housing or block? Where the last time it was changed the filter sealing ring stuck to the block, didn't come off with the filter and a careless tech just screwed in another filter on top of it with out checking?

Then the extra filter ring blew out under pressure some time later, a long time I know, but I've seen this happen a couple of times.

It would account for the loose filter.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - brum

Imo an implausible failure based on the description/information given so far.

Is the main dealer who has it now the same one that sold it or last serviced it? In which case could they be covering something up like a loose sump plug that dropped out?

Has the dealer examined the filter and housing for clues, e.g. has the threaded mount at the centre of the housing come loose?

The service interval on that car is 18k. Did it really do 25k in 8 or 9 months? Or was the filter change non official? Was it the correct filter and a genuine one?

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - madf

My experience of oil filters is that they tighten up with age as the seals swell.

I had a sump plug nearly fall off - on a car which was 2 weeks old and had done 600 miles. I spotted the low oil warning on a corner. No damage doen.

This story appears incomplete.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - brum

My experience of oil filters is that they tighten up with age as the seals swell.

Very true. Filters that have been on a long time are often very tight and difficult to remove.

On the basis that oil filters do not come undone on their own, and so the engine did not fail as a direct result of lack of servicing I think the OP has a strong case to claim.

The main dealer/nissan may refuse but a small claims submitted with an independent engineers report should do it.

Who does the OP target? The original seller, the servicing agent or Nissan??

Its a pity the OP didnt check /take photos of the oil leak location before the dealer got their hands on it, I suspect there may be some BS going on.

Edited by brum on 29/12/2016 at 12:36

To win any case you would need an engineers report confirming amongst other things the cause of the failure.

How on earth is any engineer going to be able to confirm the oil filter was left loose at the previous service especially when it appears it had covered over 25000 miles after that service was carried out.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - jc2

I have twice had a filter come loose-both on same car but have noticed the leaks(on driveway) before oil got significantly low.In both cases,tightened up the filter by hand-about 1/4 turn and leak stopped.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - Galaxy

In nearly 50 years of driving and servicing cars I have never had an oil filter come loose.

I've had the greatest difficulty in removing filters I've previously fitted, though, so hence my collection of chain wrenches, strap wrenches and rubber gloves! They always tighten-up during use, I've found.

There's a lot that doesn't make sense here.

The incident allegedly happened in August, according to a later post by the OP.

Yet they come on here in December seeking advice.

They were grossly negligent with oil changes and vehicle maintenance, yet expect 'someone' to be held liable for a job that appears to have been done perfectly adequately several months before.

I suspect there is a lot of truth not being told.

Never had one come loose but at a trackday about 10 years ago I had a costly filter related issue.

The evening before I did the usual pre-event spanner and levels check so I am 100% certain the filter was tight. But during the morning I got the oil pressure light on at the end of a strait (probably pulling 6500 in 4th) so I shut the engine down immediately. The oil pressure light switch is adjustable and its set at 20 psi so I hoped it had not run the bearings dry.

Back in the paddock the area around the filter was covered in oil so I immediately presumed the filter was loose but it was still tight. But then I spotted that the O ring was sticking out of one side and that is where the oil had escaped.

Removed the filter and refitted the O ring but the grove the O ring sits in was only a mm or so deep instead of the usual depth you normally see. Refitted the filter and noticed that instead of the usual mm or so of O ring visible a good 5mm of O ring was visible. This was a Ford 2 litre Zetec with a genuine Ford oil filter. Refilled with oil and started engine, all OK but decided not to venture out again. probably would not have been welcome, I had left a major slick on the track.

Drove home and the oil pressure was brilliant, better than normal but eventually the engine started to sound a bit noisy and by the time I got home I knew it would have to come out.

Before I started any work I checked a new Ford oil filter I had on the shelf and it was exactly the same, virtually nothing to retain the O ring.

Stripped the engine and it had run no's 2 and 3 big end bearings and blued the crank. Simple enough fix but whilst apart I checked the oil pump in particular the pressure relief valve and it was partly stuck. So engine was rebuilt with a good used genuine Ford pump I had and after the crand was ground and new bearings fitted all was OK.

Did I use a genuine Ford filter, no way. Went to Halfords to check their filters and guess what, the O ring is well retained. When fitted there is sod all O ring vissible, there is no way it could be pushed out even if the engine over pressurised. Never used a Ford filter since. Went on the intenet and discovered I was not the first person that this had happened to.

Use a different Zetec now but still don't use Ford filters. Mahle are a much better fit in my chassis and have a deep recess for the O ring.

Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci 2013 - oil filter came loose - gordonbennet

Interesting about oil filter differences.

M&H filters are usually suberb, but with the shape of the filter face only ended up with about two threads securing it to the Subaru so binned it, tried a K&N and it was a a perfrect fit, luckily ECP or someone had a half price offer on them so bought about 4.

Had a poor fuel filter once i couldn't get rid of the air from, removing it revealed a poor face stamping.

On that there U tube some enthusiast mechanics have split open various makes of oil filter, the difference between them can be an eye opener, some are almost rolled up newspaper quality.