Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol - won't start - mookie

2005 307 SW estate, 1.6 16v petrol.

Turns over but won't start.

From searching other threads/forums I've checked the following:

• fuel pump whines for few seconds when ignition turned on. I believe this indicates it's OK.
  • warning alarm beeps when key left in ignition when driver's door opened. I believe this indicates the immobiliser still recognises the key.
  • fuses seem to be OK
  • battery seems to be OK but I've put it on to charge just in case

The problem seems to be no fuel getting to engine or no ignition. No idea what it could be. I did some work under the car at the weekend. The bracket connecting the mid section to the back box of the exhaust came adrift so I had to replace it, this involved jacking up the rear passenger side. After finishing that I ran the engine for a few minutes, since then i didn't try to start it until this morning (2 days later). I used to have an Astra where if you parked it on a slope when the fuel was near empty the fuel would flow away from the pump and it wouldn't start. Could something similar be happening here? The car is on level ground with 1\2 a tank full though. Or could I have disturbed something while working on the exhaust?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Edited by mookie on 20/12/2016 at 14:00

Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol - won't start - hardway

You need to establish IF it is sparking at the plugs.

Oh and check you haven't disturbed the fuel shut of switch.

Thanks, good point will check the plugs, but think the fuel cut off may be more likely... Do you know where to find the switch?

Peugeot 307 SW - 1.6 petrol - won't start - Gibbo_Wirral

It usually looks like this:

i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ezYAAMXQd2hRYrGZ/s-l300.jpg

You could save a lot of time by getting a diagnosic check from a fellow Pug owner. Google "Peugeot Planet Map" to find a local with the kit who will be happy to help you out.

Hm, I couldn't see anything resembling that in the engine bay. Do all 307s have them?

From your user ID - are you in Wirral? So am I... Do you know of anyone in the area with the kit?

I'm in Burnley now, but there's a chap on the Wirral and one in Liverpool.

www.peugeotforums.com/forums/maintenance-9/diagnos.../

Thanks for the info.

Edited by mookie on 22/12/2016 at 09:12

Your shooting in the dark hopeing to hit something.

Be systematical.

You can hear the pump prime on key on so ignore the fuel for now,

Is there a crank angle sensor signal.

This is the first thing I check,

Easy with a scan tool,

Buy a cheap one if you don't own one.

Crank angle signal is paramout.

No CAS then no ignition spark and no injector pulse so no fuel.

Is there any reading on the dash tacho when cranking over?

Thanks for the reply, the dash tacho doesn't move when cranking over.

Don't own a scan tool, will look into getting one.

This car has never had any trouble starting, that's why I think it must have something to do with the work I did at the weekend, unless it's a massive coincidence.

Like I stated buy a scan tool go through the menu to live data then to RPM.

Crank it,

No RPM means CAS faulty,or the wires connector.

A cheap scan tool is a bad decision for a Mk1 307, for the simple fact they've given out incorrect information, don't pick up all faults, cannot display live data or check components.

I've done some tests with various scanners on my car with a known EGR, diesel heater sensor, and glow plug faults and only Peugeot Planet picked up these fault codes and read the live data to show that the parts were indeed faulty.