Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Noise on cold start up - bigshorty40

Hi All

Wondering if any of you out there can help identify the possible cause with a noise I get when starting my 2006 Focus 1.6 TDCI.

This noise has happened a few times now, doesn't happen every time the car starts, in fact the last time it happened must have been well over a month ago. However, this morning and yesterday morning I started the car up, which was fine, but for the first 10 - 15 seconds of running I was getting an odd metallic rattling, jangling type sound coming from the engine bay (driver side I think). Its best described a someone rattling a small piece of metal inside a tin can, there is also a bit of squeaking going on at the same time. After 15 seconds or so, the sounds went away, the car drove fine, and there were no other noticeable noises happening. Also, it only happens on cold start ups, there is no noise when starting car up when its warm.

Any ideas on possible causes for this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Noise on cold start up - diddy1234

Do these engines have a chain cam ?

Had a similar issue to yourself on a Kia Rio Diesel (Chain cam) on an exspecially cold morning.

When it did happen, I stuck my head under the bonnet and it was the chain cam tensioner not fully adjusted. The sound went away after 15 seconds once cold oil had pressurised the adjuster.

Never had the noise again.

When was the last oil change done ? is it due ?

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Noise on cold start up - gordonbennet

Possible DMF failing, water pump, cambelt idler, alternator, aircon pump etc, you could isolate auxilliary belt driven driven items by removing the belt the night before and then doing a cold start with it off.

No need to go into any possible engine problems, there is reading enough on this site alone to keep you going tll the new year.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/12/2016 at 11:06

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Noise on cold start up - skidpan

No, belt driven.

Possible DMF failing

Would be a good bet, does it go away when you press down the clutch pedal?

No, belt driven.

Possible DMF failing

Would be a good bet, does it go away when you press down the clutch pedal?

Thanks for the reply

I haven't tried pressing clutch down while its happening, but I will deinitely give it a go when it next happens.

Possible DMF failing, water pump, cambelt idler, alternator, aircon pump etc, you could isolate auxilliary belt driven driven items by removing the belt the night before and then doing a cold start with it off.

No need to go into any possible engine problems, there is reading enough on this site alone to keep you going tll the new year.

Thanks for your reply

Is it safe to start the car without the auxilliary drive belt attached? I suppose with it off, then starting the car you can discount the alternator, air con pump, water pump and crank shaft pulley if the noise happens, is that correct? If the noise happened with belt off then would this more than likely indicate a DMF issue?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand what to look for when cold starting with belt off.

In reply to the other query, these engines don't have cam chains, they use belts. Oil and filter was changed 4000 miles ago, also did an engine flush at the same time.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Noise on cold start up - skidpan

Is it safe to start the car without the auxilliary drive belt attached?

It won't do the car any harm but the alternator won't be charging so it could upset the dash and the water pump won't be pumping water so don't do it too long.

But the snag is on these engines Ford use a "stretchy" belt which has to be cut off and to fit a new one you need the correct tool. Its all very tight in there, when ours showed signs of cracking I took it to the dealer for a replacement, I have changed gearboxes that looked easier.

But the snag is on these engines Ford use a "stretchy" belt which has to be cut off and to fit a new one you need the correct tool.

I managed to fit a new auxiliary drive belt with just a spanner and a drill bit. Does this mean I've fitted the wrong type of belt to the car?

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Noise on cold start up - RichardW

I'd be worried about any noises at start up on this engine....

How many miles has it done, and what is the turbo history?

First thing that springs to mind is low oil pressure at start up due to clogged strainer in the oil pick up in the sump; however, this is more a tappety noise and goes away after a second or 2. You might also notice it's a bit more noisy at idle.

The other is the cam chain in the head - the cambelt ony drives one cam, the other is driven by a short chain in the head. The tensioner wears, and then the chain goes floppy and starts to chew its way through the cam cover. I'd have thought this was more likely from you description of the noise.

It could also be a cambelt, as these tend to get noisy with age - although that is usually a squeaking noise at idle, that tends to be better when the engine is warm.

If the car is otherwise good, then probably worth investigating. If not, then drive it till it breaks propely and then bin it!

Got an update on this for you. Just so you know the car has done 113,000 miles, and I'm pretty sure it has the orginal turbo.

I'm pretty sure the rattling sound isn't anything to do with the DMF. I drove the car to our local petrol station, and whilst waiting to fill up the car was making the rattling sound. I put the clutch in and the car still made the rattling sound. When I got it back home the noise had stopped. The noise seems to be more noticeable while idling, and not when driving or under load. It doesn't lack any power, still pulls really well, so I'm not convinced its the turbo. I did check the the spindle in the turbo when I took the air intake pipes off to do an air filter changed not long ago, and there was no movement in the spindle, and it spun smoothly and freely when I turned it.

Before I went out this morning, I took the auxiliary drive belt off and started the car from cold, and no noise occurred at all. For its first MOT of me owning it, I let my mechanic mate give it a pre MOT, and he noticed that there seemed to be dust coming from the crankshaft pulley, didn't know if this was significant, but its been like it for many miles now and not caused any problems.

The sound to me does seem like a metallic rattling sound that is in time with engine revs.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Noise on cold start up - focussed

I don't like your mechanic's description of dust coming from the crankshaft pulley - it could be delaminating, google for it and it seems to be a possible fault. If it fails completely it could cause expensive damamge.

I agree with your comment about the crankshaft pulley, I've been worried about it since he mentioned it. However we are real good mates, and he has always told me not to worry, the worst case scenario would be fitting a new engine, which he would be able to source and fit for me. He's also pretty relaxed about paying him for jobs, accepting bits here and there when I can afford it. I've now driven the car at least 8000 miles since this was mentioned, and I'm pretty sure the rattling I've been getting recently isn't linked to the crankshaft as the noise seems to be coming more from the top of the engine.

I also mentioned the noise to him, and let him listen to a recording of it that I took on my phone, and he seems to think it sounds like the auxiliary drive belt tensioner is on its way out. I had to record it for him, as I can't always guarantee the car will make the sound when he's around. I have to say he has always been pretty spot on with diagnosing any problems I've had in the past with various cars, and he's worked on plenty of Focus' so I'm hoping this is the issue. He did also mention small timing chain tensioner failure too, but seemed to think this was less likely. He's going to give it a good look over soon, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

Cheers for the comments, I do appreciate the input from all.

Quick update to this discussion.

Put a new auxiliary drive belt tensioner on a couple of days ago, and no more rattling noises coming from the engine bay on cold start up. Well happy that it was a only a £30 fix, and only 20 minutes work.

I appreciate all the comments trying to find the cause of this problem, thanks to all!

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Noise on cold start up - gordonbennet

And thanks for the update, an example to those who never return once advice has been given to say whether any of it worked.