Suzuki Swift - High Mileage Swift - The23rdman

I'm looking at a cheap runaround to replace my ageing Yaris D4D. I think I've narrowed it down to either a 1.6 Fiesta or a 1.5 Suzuki Swift, with the Swift being favourite because I like the combo of the Toyota engine and fun drivability.

I'm wondering how high mileage is too high when the car is clearly well maintained and has full dealer service history? These cars are not that common and I've found a nice looking one on an 07 plate with 122k but the aforementioned FSH.

Thoughts?

Edited by The23rdman on 30/11/2016 at 10:42

Suzuki Swift - High Mileage Swift - Falkirk Bairn

High Mileage = low price

How much more would an 07 car, same model /condition etc etcwith 70K cost?

Suzuki Swift - High Mileage Swift - RobJP

Is it the red one, PE07JHV ?

If so, then you might want to have a good look at the MOT history. The advisories and failures tell a slightly different story.

Of particular worry (to me) would be the MOT advisory from February this year of 'oil level low'. Then there's the regular tyre MOT failures/advisories, brake disc failure, coolant leak, etc ...

A 'clearly well maintained' example it most certainly is not !

Rob, that's a very good point - I hadn't checked the MOT history on that one.

Suzuki Swift - High Mileage Swift - SLO76
The Swift is an excellent little car but I wouldn't swap one old runabout that's still running for another one you don't know, especially one with well over 100k on the clock.

When you can buy a Swift with 70-80k in good order for between £1,500-£2,000 what's the point? I'd recommend begging, borrowing or stealing a few hundred quid more to buy an economically viable car instead of another money pit.

Keep your old car until you can afford something better.

I can't afford anything better and I am bored of driving this Yaris. It's ugly and battered and makes me feel like an old woman.

Hate to say this, but if you've got minimal money, then accept being bored driving the Yaris - especially if it's reliable.

Changing cars for the hell of it is something for those wealthy enough to be able to do it. Swapping an old car for one (possibly) with major problems is an exercise in stupidity.

I can't afford anything better and I am bored of driving this Yaris. It's ugly and battered and makes me feel like an old woman.

Stick with it until you can afford better and when shopping on a sub £3k budget forget image, gadgets and performance and focus entirely on condition, mileage, history and reliability. A worn out 122,000 mile Supermini will cost more to run overall than a more expensive lower mileage car... This would be a waste of money, buy this and your hand will never be out your pocket.

I didn't ask that.

I didn't ask that.

You asked for advice. Your original post ended with the request for 'Thoughts'.

You've stated that you have miniimal funds - so you aren't in a position to fund repairs to any replacement car you buy. You'd completely failed to do the most basic lookups on a car that you were seriously considering buying.

As such, myself and others have given advice : yes, your Yaris D4D might be boring, it might be battered. But if it works and isn't breaking down on you, then you'd frankly be a fool to change it.

Take the advice, or don't. It makes no difference to us. But don't ask for advice and then come over all shirty when it's given.

Unless, of course, you're only after advice that backs up the decisions you've already made.

Apologies for the terse replies - I was typing on the run after being called in to pick up a poorly son. No offence was intended.

I absolutely understand that this is not the most rational decision in the world - it's based on wanting to enjoy my driving experience more, and I don't see why I should be excluded from that based on my finances. I know that I could pick up a lemon and that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I don't appreciate being called a fool by people who do not know me from Adam.

Suzuki Swift - High Mileage Swift - alan1302

and I don't see why I should be excluded from that based on my finances. I know that I could pick up a lemon and that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I don't appreciate being called a fool by people who do not know me from Adam.

So you are willing to to risk a lemon and a hefty financial hit despite not having the money? If you are on your own then fair enough but why should your son suffer if you do buy a lemon?

Suzuki Swift - High Mileage Swift - bazza

I've always like the look of the Swift myself and when these 1.5 models came out, they caused a real stir due to their fun factor. I'd imagine that 10 year old 122K miler might be getting a bit tired now, particularly all those other things that wear out like suspension, bearings, bushes, brakes etc.

Have read that the 1.3 has a soft gearbox, not sure of the 1.5, think it's ok. The later 1.2 would be my choice, as it seems fairly robust and also great fun to drive.Fiesta is a known entity but I'd look out for the type of owner of any luke warm model. It may have been worn smooth. The 1.25 Yamaha Zetec engined one is absolutely great fun to drive though, should be loads of those around to choose.

I get the thinking, no petrolhead wants stuck in a car he/she doesn't enjoy and there are possibilities but you could and most likely will land badly here. If your finances are so tight could you afford a major repair to the new old car? Even those of us with decades of experience at this game get caught out.

A very tidy 2008 41,000 mile Vauxhall Astra 1.8 with full history I flogged to a punter recently came back to bite me when it developed a rattle from the engine. Wee listen to it, I figure it's a timing belt tensioner so I fork out for a belt change with new tensioner and water pump. When my mechanic stripped it down the belt is chewed, near to snapping and it's one of the VVT pulleys that's failed, so add another £250 for parts alone (replaced both to be sure) to the belt change and I'm over £560 out of pocket. Could you take a hit like this on another older and unknown motor?

Don't view this as a lecture, we're trying to help you avoid a fall. Currently you have a very cheap to run small Japanese car that'll do 60mpg and is running ok and the reality of shopping at your limited budget is that the vast majority of motors you'll find on sale are there because they've become non viable, they're costing too much to keep on the road.

It would ultimately be cheaper to borrow a few grand and buy a newer Swift but if this isn't an option I'd hold off on your boy racer notions for a while longer.