Car buying advice - hatchback - shoebpatel31

Hi im after a hatchback car 5/6k miles a year, maximum budget of £3500. ideally mileage under 90k.

I was looking at a few honda civic (06) 1.8, ford focus(08plus) 1.6, seat leon 1.6 all petrol. Would anyone suggest which is the best to go for(reliability, economy etc). would also consider kia ceed.

Personally tempted by the civi(how reliable are the 1.8s)

Thanks

Car buying advice - hatchback - RobJP

If there's one thing Honda do well, it's petrol engines.

Service history and regular maintenance is, of course, essential for engine longevity. But buy a good one of those, and you won't go far wrong.

As to economy, all the cars you've listed will return similar numbers - anywhere from 30-40mpg, depending on driving style, etc.

Car buying advice - hatchback - madf

If there's one thing Honda do well, it's petrol engines.

Service history and regular maintenance is, of course, essential for engine longevity. But buy a good one of those, and you won't go far wrong.

As to economy, all the cars you've listed will return similar numbers - anywhere from 30-40mpg, depending on driving style, etc.

+1

Car buying advice - hatchback - SLO76
Honda 1800 VTEC petrol as used in the Civic is one of the best engines you can buy. Powerful, robust, chain driven so no timing belt change to worry about and decent on fuel but they are more expensive to buy and parts are dearer than a Focus or an Astra. Don't buy one without a full history with proof of annual servicing. They're reliable but too many treat them like appliances and scrimp on servicing.

The Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol in the Focus is also a good engine if looked after, it'll run past 150k but isn't as quick as the Honda and needs a timing belt and water pump at 8 years. Factor this in if there's no receipt to prove it's been done, don't take someone's word for it, the engine's ruined if it snaps. It'll cost between £250-£300 to do on average.

Kia Cee'd is mechanically robust but front crossmember rots on them at a surprisingly early stage. Not as nice to drive as the Focus or the Civic but you'll get a newer, lower mileage car as a result. No matter what anyone tells you the excellent 7yr warranty is impossible to claim unless it's got a full main dealer history.

At the end of the day I'd buy based on condition, history and mileage before anything else between the Focus and Civic. Both are great wee family cars.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/11/2016 at 10:52

Car buying advice - hatchback - Stumblebum

You could look out for a late model Civic 2001 - 2005 generation. Really dull to look at (so cheaper) but just as easy to live with.

I have the 1800 VTEC but had the previous generation 1600 VTEC. The previous generation drives well and has similar performance (one up at least) but but lacks the 6th gear.

They are getting old though, but you may find it easier to find a well cared for, low mileage example as they are not very trendy.

Car buying advice - hatchback - eustace
Kia Cee'd is mechanically robust but front crossmember rots on them at a surprisingly early stage. Not as nice to drive as the Focus or the Civic but you'll get a newer, lower mileage car as a result. No matter what anyone tells you the excellent 7yr warranty is impossible to claim unless it's got a full main dealer history.

SLO76, have you had any personal experience of Ceeds with rotted crossmembers? The only reference I can find on the internet is regarding rusted cross members for the Hyundai Sonatas, sold in the U.S.

Car buying advice - hatchback - eustace

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/nf-2006-2010-sonata/198433-what-crossmember-problem-nf-looks-like.html

The above link provides pictures and information about rusted sub frames, for the Hyndai Sonata in the U.S.

I believe there were several rust related recalls by Hyundai in the U.S.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/hyundai-recalls-239000-cars-for-corrosion-problem.html

Above link provides information about Hyundai Sonata corrosion recall in the U.S.

Edited by eustace on 10/11/2016 at 21:39

Car buying advice - hatchback - skidpan

Sorry but what has rotted subframes on US Hyundai's got to do the European manufactured Kias.

Suggest you stick to the facts.

Our Ceed CRDi replaced a Focus TDCi and it was every bit as good as a drivers car. The ride was probably a bit harsher but it was much quieter form a road and wind noise perspective.

We tried 2 Civics, the ride was truly appalling as was tyre roar.

I'm basing it on experience from 22 years in the motor trade as a salesman and home trader. I've seen plenty of early Cee'd's which were bodily sound but had heavy corrosion underneath, particularly on the front subframe. In fact I was recently offered a 2009 Cee'd Estate that was showing heavy corrosion underneath. It does mitigate it slightly when I live in a coastal town in Scotland but there's no denying they're deteriorating more rapidly than the equivalent Astra or Golf. Otherwise a hassle free prospect and if you live in the sunny south without our salt saturated iced up roads in winter you'll find it less of a worry. But just make sure you cast an eye underneath before buying. If it looks ok and the car has been mechanically looked after with a full history there's no reason not to buy one. As for the corrosion warranty, these are next to impossible to claim on and certainly won't include components located on the underside of the vehicle.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/11/2016 at 22:42

Car buying advice - hatchback - targen

i work at a Kia main dealer , on the south coast..so far we have carried out about 100 recalls for this issue on the ED Ceed , but not once have we needed to replace any components , the only rust evident has been surface corrosion (which is no more prevalent than on any other 10 - 13 years old car). Kia are keen that should any more serious issues be seen , they are dealt with by replacing affected parts , a job we are happy to do.

Must be plenty slipping through the net then as the biggest killer of Kias in my area of Scotland is under body rot. I’ve a work colleague who’s recently scrapped a 2006 Sportage due to serious rot, in fact you hardly see any of this gen up here at all these days despite selling reasonably well. It’s good to hear the firm is now taking things seriously but corrosion protection hasn’t been up to scratch for our damp salt coated roads to date. Hopefully newer models will prove better.