Galaxy - Ford galaxy 1.9tdi which version is most reliable - yaris d4d

I'm looking to buy one on a budget around 3500 with good service history to tow my caravan possibly around the 100000 mark or lower which ones the most least

To give me the less trouble over the years what should I look

Out for when buying a used one of these .was any improvements made

Between each model release from 1995 up to 2006

As there are a number of issues on most if them I am trying

To get the best and least troublesome Version I can fix and remove most

Serviceable parts like brakes shocks and stuff I can get to but when it comes to the engine side of matters apart from egr valives and service the engine is a no no lol

So most stuff a can replace without an aid of a garage.

Or what Mvp or Car will give me good miles per gallon that will tow a 1500kg caravan when it's towing and used around town .don't want any one with the DPF on

Galaxy - Ford galaxy 1.9tdi which version is most reliable - RobJP

Sorry to say this, but you're looking to buy a 10-20 year old vehicle that was built to have a hard life (and do a lot of mileage), and as such most of them are pretty worn out now.

So reliability really is absolute random chance and pot luck. Remember that most of those being sold will be for sale because something needs doing, and that 'something' costs more money than the owner is willing to spend.

The 1.9 Tdi VAG engine is very good. One of the finest 'basic' diesel engines built in the last 30 years or so. But they all last better on regular oil/filter changes (regular means frequent, 10k or so, not the 'normal' 15-18k), and MUST have a cambelt/waterpump/roller change every 70k miles. You used to see lots of cars with this engine for sale at 135k, for example. An expensive job, (£300-£500), so one that's often missed out. If any of the bits that need changing fail (and they do, waterpumps and rollers were a bit notorious for it), then the engine is scrap.

As to buying an old, worn-out MPV, and then expecting it to be reliable, tow a 1.5 tonne caravan AND give good MPG, I think you're being rather optimistic.

Galaxy - Ford galaxy 1.9tdi which version is most reliable - pd

Assuming you're looking at the older model anything using the 1.9 TDI 130 PD engine would be a good bet.

It is a generally reliable and very well known unit used in endless cars and has a decent amount of torque for towing.

That doesn't mean it never goes wrong or can be neglected, however.

Galaxy - Ford galaxy 1.9tdi which version is most reliable - RaineMan

Do you really need a people carrier? A friend tows has towed his caravan for a number of years (including crossing the channel every year) with a ten y.o. diesel Mondeo. It has been totally reliable but he is thinking of changing it for something newer. I have suggested he keeps it. More Mondeos than Galaxys (Galaxies are beautiful yank tanks) about...

Galaxy - Ford galaxy 1.9tdi which version is most reliable - SLO76
Tall order. If you're shopping on a tight budget I normally wouldn't recommend a complex turbo Diesel engine but as you intend on towing it's understandable why you'd need it and this is one of the most robust if looked after.

The VAG 1900 PD is a great, hard wearing engine but most will be abused workhorses that've been run on a shoestring. Buy only with a full service history and remember they need a timing belt, tensioner and water pump every five years regardless of mileage. It's highly unlikely anyone will have done this shortly before selling so it's likely to be due or overdue on any you look at. It's a £300 plus job on these but don't scrimp on it, it'll kill the engine if it snaps.

Avoid anything with a DPF (don't think it was ever fitted to this gen of Galaxy but could be wrong) this engine was never designed with it in mind and it is notorious for going wrong. Buy on condition and history over age or mileage and pay extra for a good one, a cheap one is a false economy.

Don't expect an old turbo diesel with a six figure mileage to be completely reliable or cheap to run, there will be problems. Also don't focus on one particular car at this limited price range. There are other good big diesel estates such as the VW Passat, Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4 or Volvo V70 D5 around at similar money. Buy the best looked after car that's been owned for a long time by the previous owner.