Ford Focus Mk2, 2007 1.6. - Recommendations, please. - argybargy

Sorry, but yet another request for car change recommendations.

We currently have a Focus 1.6 2007 Zetec Climate, and have had it for six years. Its been a great car, relentlessly reliable, but just lately has started to cost money on a regular basis. Handbrake cable, exchange driveshaft and transmission oil seal, auxiliary belts etc etc, all in the last six months.

OK, there's a great deal to be said for keeping a known and generally reliable car on the road by spending modest amounts of money, but I think at 75k miles and six years in our possession its time to move on. I did ask a question a while ago on here about second hand BMWs, but eventually concluded that buying a vehicle I know nothing about and which if it went wrong could prove to be a money pit would be a risky move, especially for someone who is retired with a fairly modest disposable income.

Our basic requirements are thus: decent sized boot for occasional holidays and those trips to the tip, no need to worry about room for kids and all their accoutrements coz they're grown up, some decent poke under the bonnet and adequate leg room both front and rear for adult passengers. Modest insurance costs, low tax and a reasonable reputation for reliability. I'd like to avoid "pig ugly" too, if possible.

I've looked at newish Fiestas but the 1.6 Zetec S, which is the model from that range which I'd want purely for the power, is just too expensive and most of the good examples are with main dealers. Same goes for the other car I've been looking at: the third generation Focus from 2011 on. Decent looking ones are to be found out there with 30k or less, but most are with franchises and at a premium.

So any other recommendations along the lines mentioned above gratefully received.

Cheers.

Edited by argybargy on 06/11/2016 at 09:35

Ford Focus Mk2, 2007 1.6. - Recommendations, please. - Wackyracer

Personally, I'd stick with the Focus you have. They are good cars and the cost of repairs should be lower than the depreciation on a newer car.

Ford Focus Mk2, 2007 1.6. - Recommendations, please. - RaineMan

To be honest none of your problems have been major and par for the course at ten years of age. If it has received rountine maintenance it should be good for 125k - 150k. A five year old might be no more reliable. I replaced an old Carlton with a far newer, and far lower miles, Omega and went from total reliability to total unreliability! So my suggestion is keep your car...

Ford Focus Mk2, 2007 1.6. - Recommendations, please. - John F

I agree - keep it until a really big bill then discard. Although compared with our 16yr old 118,000m Focus 1.6 Zetec with only petrol pump, brakes and plugs renewed, I think you have been unlucky re reliability. Or do you floor the accelerator in first gear turning out of junctions often? Do you use the handbrake every time you stop? I rarely use it - a car in 1st gear or 'P' might suffer less if bumped in a parking space.

Cheers for the replies.

I rarely if ever "floor" the accelerator. As someone who drove fire engines for 20 years I've had plenty of thrills on the road and don't really need any more. ;0)

Whilst out on the road I don't think the handbrake tends to be employed excessively. However...we have lived on a steep hill for a couple of years, and it took me a while to realise, following our move to this Everest-like incline, that to save wear on the cable I should have been employing the gears also rather than giving the lever a yank that Arnie would have been proud of. Eventually the cable was stretched to the point where it could self adjust no more, and the shoes on one side began to bind.

The other issues I mentioned are probably not untypical of a car of this mileage and no, those repairs were not particularly expensive, and its interesting that all three replies so far recommend keeping our current vehicle. But I'm sure there are contributors to this site who know that feeling you get when its time to change a car, and I'm at that point right now. Another factor in my thoughts that I didn't mention above is that my wife suffers from back problems and the increasingly hard ride of this Focus ain't doing her no favours.

So, whilst grateful to those who advise keeping the car rather than plunging into the uknown, and fully acknowledging the logic behind that advice I'd still like to hear from anyone who could recommend a suitable alternative.

Thanks.

Edited by argybargy on 06/11/2016 at 11:22

Ford Focus Mk2, 2007 1.6. - Recommendations, please. - Fishermans Bend

Have you emailed HJ? From all I read in his Saturday Telegraph questions and answers section he and his colleagues are incredibly knowledgeable and give good advice.

Ford Focus Mk2, 2007 1.6. - Recommendations, please. - gordonbennet

You're asking for a lot, not criticising you understand, and it sounds like you fancy another car which is fine, as they say you can't take it with you so why not.

Nothing wrong with the competence of many newer cars, but decent VED with decent perfermance plus good economy usually equals Diesel and newer than mid noughties means DPF's, which unless you cover the right sort of mileage will mean problems, and the DPF might not be the only trouble either with modern Diesel.

So IMO if you want long term reliability with comfort and performance you are going to have to make some compromises along the way, either fuel economy or VED.

Unless your mileage is right i would stick to petrol, of course you can always LPG convert a petrol to give it Diesel beating economy, you'll still have higher VED that goes with a petrol and you'll probably lose the spare wheel well for the gas tank, and its worth checking on Filllpg.co.uk for convenient well priced filling points before you even think about this option.

I fully agree with your wife about Focus ride quality, we hired one in Ireland a few years ago and were glad to hand the heap back, never found our company Focus or Mondeo pool cars to be anything to write home about either.

If you wanted a car suggestion, 09 on Avensis 1.8 petrol, i wouldn't because i will not ever have an electric parking brake, that and automated manuals (or DSG type twin clutch jobbies) are my not on your nelly lines in the sand, but thats just me and my quirks, the car itself is very pleasant, typically Toyota in that it drives pleasantly nicely sprung and won't let you down.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/11/2016 at 11:51

No, I haven't emailed HJ but I'll look at that option, thanks.

I suppose my ideal car would be the low tax (or is it non-tax?) Eco Boost Fiesta, but just like the later 1.6 Zetec S they tend to be expensive as most of them are still in the hands of franchises. I would certainly consider a Japanese car, not least because the best family motor we ever had was a first generation Primera. So I will have a look at the Avensis, notwithstanding what you've said about the electric parking brake, GB, and the other negative comments I've read about that device elsewhere.

I suppose what I was hoping for, being a simple soul, was a list of cars that best matched my stated requirements other than the new shape Fiesta and Focus. Price, poke, low tax, legroom and ride quality would be the crucial considerations, and that package obviously narrows things down quite a lot. Not keen on a diesel, to be honest, particularly since the VW emissions scandal and no doubt others still to come.

Anyhow, thanks for all contributions. I'll keep on searching, and thinking.

Ford Focus Mk2, 2007 1.6. - Recommendations, please. - SLO76
While I've every confidence that your Focus could carry on providing reliable service for many years to come (the Yamaha designed 1.6 is a great engine) I can also understand the desire for something new.

What is your budget, weekly usage and size requirement? You mention a current model Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S (a brilliant wee car) but later state that your current car rides too hard, the Fiesta with sports suspension will be even harder and the current Focus isn't any better riding than your current car as far as I'm concerned, if anything I preferred the previous generation to drive. The steering has more feel.

If you want a softer ride you'll either need to upscale and go into something like an Avensis or Accord or look at a small people carrier. The Nissan qashqai rides well but it all depends on budget.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/11/2016 at 15:20

Ford Focus Mk2, 2007 1.6. - Recommendations, please. - bazza

A couple of ideas:

Auris 1.6 estate, cheapest down to about 9K now in dealers. Proper handbrake and proper non turbo everlasting petrol engine.

Civic 1.8 petrol hatch, anything from2006 to present depending on your budget. I believe the 2012 on latest model has better ride quality. Again, one of the best petrol engines around, huge boot and a very competent car

Mazda 3 petrol, again, ultra reliable, competent car.

Ford Focus Mk2, 2007 1.6. - Recommendations, please. - Avant

Reading down the thread, I too was thinking 'Auris estate' - the virtues of the Avensis, not that much smaller and it has a proper handbrake. But I'd go along with all Bazza's suggestions. I often suggest in these threads either Japanese (better chance of getting a reliable one) or a Ford (lots around to choose fom).

But I also see the point of those who say stick rather than twist - because you imply that a 2011 Focus is beyond your budget. It's worth changing a 2007 car only in favour of something considerably newer, so maybe keep the Focus in the short term, and save for a bit in order to up your budget.

Thanks for the new replies.

Usage: probably no more than 200 miles a week at most. Mostly A road and M way driving, not much stop/start commuting. Size wise, the Fiesta is as small as I would go. I've always wanted a really big car and never had one, but for lots of reasons such a thing would be totally impractical now. I'd certainly consider an auto, even though we once had a Meriva with that awful Easytronic semi automatic gearbox, which although it wasn't of course a true auto was enough to put anyone off aut***ift for life.

Its not so much that a 2011 Focus is beyond our budget, but more that in my search for one I'm confronted with what I think are unreasonable prices for a five year old car, most of them being with main dealers. Same applies to the newest Fiesta but even more so.

My original plan was to hang onto the Focus for another four years until I get an income boost in the form of another pension, and then chuck a portion of that at a new or newish car, rather than bung a chunk of our ever shrinking capital at an older car. However, the hard ride of this Focus is forcing my hand a little so I thought it was worth coming on here and asking the questions.

Noted also what's said about the potential for the Fiesta ride being as bad as the Focus. My son has a 2009 Fiesta Titanium 1.4 and the ride isn't great, admittedly. However, it does have those awful low profile tyres and I don't think they were fitted on later models, so we really need to get in a later Fiesta, one without skinny tyres, to do a proper comparison. It had occured to me that the problem of concrete suspension might also afflict the Focus's smaller cousin, but you don't know till you try.

Budget would be no more than £7500, so some of the cars mentioned above are probably beyond our price range. I had hoped to get near to 2k for our current car in a private sale, but looking at the online sites I reckon that to shift it quickly I'd have to pitch it much lower. I'm even tempted--horror upon horrors--to consider part-exing it, something I said I would never do with a car ever again.

However and in any case, I'll keep looking for something with a reasonable boot, decent poke under the bonnet, lowish tax and lowish insurance ratings, softer ride than we currently endure and not pig ugly. Its gotta be out there somewhere, and even if it ain't, one day we might be able to afford something I always promised myself I would never buy: a new car.

Edited by argybargy on 07/11/2016 at 10:01