Running in a Rotary engine/RX8 - Dan J
I nearly "went for a Burton" and placed a deposit on an RX8 at the weekend which just shows that alcohol abuse and internet access don't always mix. I am extremely tempted though and should my life continue along its current path I may well put in an order after I've had a test drive in July. I cannot think of any car current or near future I would rather spend my hard earned on right now.

Interestingly though whilst there is much information on the net regarding rotary engines (partic Japan and the US where the RX7 has been popular and sold in reasonable numbers) I cannot find a single article on how one of these engines should be run in.

Any comments people? Also the newer rotary engines seem to have a much better reliability record - can anyone comment on this?
Running in a Rotary engine/RX8 - Mark (RLBS)
Dan,

Try this...

www.atkinsrotary.com/engineQA.htm

But search for \"breaking in\" rather than \"running in\". (its the same thing, but in American rather than English)

Mark.
Running in a Rotary engine/RX8 - Dan J
Cheers Mark - I'd actually read round the Atkins site already but had obviously missed this.

The more I look at the Mazda website the more I can't help thinking the RX8 is one hell of a car - Who on earth would buy an Audi TT or Toyota Celica in favour of this beauty?!
Running in a Rotary engine/RX8 - T Lucas
I'm sure if our past record has any bearing on the outcome not very many Brits will be brave enough to actually buy one(as opposed to think about buying one)I am a great fan of the Mazda Rotary,my earliest was a 1972 RX3 Coupe.Will be good to see them on our roads,but i do think it will be a minority sport.
Running in a Rotary engine/RX8 - Maz
What a car Dan J. Possibly even better than the new 3.0l Vectra.
:-0

For those that are brave enough to buy one early doors, it may not be suicide. It looks a good candidate for a premium above list to me, especially if Mazda can convince MX5 owners that this is the next step.

T Lucas may well be right about perception, but with Mazda's reliability record, there's no way this car is going to be a lemon. All it needs is a chrome strip running across its back end.

Does anyone know if a convertible version is planned, or even feasible?
Running in a Rotary engine/RX8 - manwithtool
I did go in a friends RX7 and it certainly was smooth and powerful. Only problems were fuel consumption and very expensive spark plugs that needed regular changes....
So might be worth checking out service intervals and prices of parts ? and fuel consumption. I am talking 15-20 years ago so I'm sure things have moved on ?

Running in a Rotary engine/RX8 - Vansboy
The only thing I can see wrong with this car is......
YOU CAN'T BUY IT IN LIGHTNING YELLOW!!!!
It looks as though it was only this colour for pre-production & press cars.
Only other options, Nissan 350 & Chrysler Crossfire
£19995 Bargain or what?!!
VB
Running in a Rotary engine/RX8 - bafta
According to my local Mazda dealer the issues to which 'manwithatool' refers still pertain. The RX8 will be thirsty on petrol and expensive to maintain but, if you can afford it, you fancy a rotary engine and a handsome machine, who cares.