Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - Small cracks in rear tyres - GavinBu

Had car serviced today, had to purchase front tyres as they were at the legal limit, however on reading the report there is 'cracking in tread' on the rears.

On inspection there are tiny cracks in the 3 'stripes' that go around each tyre. There are still 5mm of tread left, car is 2.5 years old.

Tyres of Conti PC 2s

Do I need these changing too? And why is there only cracking on the rears?

Edited by GavinBu on 20/10/2016 at 19:36

Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - Small cracks in rear tyres - Wackyracer

Put the rears on the front, that way you'll wear them out before they fall apart from perishing.

Well, I've booked in with Kwik Fit (cheapest) who won't swap them according to their website.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - Small cracks in rear tyres - daveyjp
Dump Kwik fit and find a local fitter who will probably match the price and do as you request.

Easier said than done, phoned 3 places, all £10 per tyre more expensive, told them Kwik Fit's price, none wanted to match.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - Small cracks in rear tyres - John F

Do I need these changing too?

No. Classic example of motor industry flagrantly angling for unnecessary work for gullible customer.

And why is there only cracking on the rears?

Probably because compared to the fronts they have had an easy life just rolling along with no braking or accelerating forces to keep the surface area supple - and not even cornering forces if you are a slow and careful driver.

The lazy garage who put new tyres on the front should have followed the 'expert' advice (which I partially disagree with - I change all 4 tyres at once, and swap front to rear halfway throught their life so they wear equally) of putting the best tyres on the back and putting your 5mm tyred back wheels on the front. Go back and request that they do so - free of charge, otherwise you, your family and friends will take your custom elsewhere in future.

Oh, and modern tyres don't 'fall apart from perishing', if you only do 2,000m a year they will easily last 10yrs.

Edited by John F on 21/10/2016 at 11:49

Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - Small cracks in rear tyres - brum

Microcracking in grooves over time is very common and is usually nothing to worry about.

Most major chains will insist on putting the better tyres on the rear axle, swapping the rears to the front for free as company policy. This is definitely kwikfits policy.

As john f implies, this practice is based on debatable reasons. If you had new tyres fitted on the front, go back to the place and ask them to swap them to the rear for free, as they should have done in the first place.

Or do it yourself, its easy provided you have a spare....

For cheap tyres trawl the internet, e.g.

Camskill.co.uk

F1autocentres.co.uk

Blackcircles.co.uk

Mytyres.co.uk

Oponeo.co.uk

and many more. Most offer fully fitted locally service as well as delivery only. I can get tyres fitted, balanced etc for £10 at f1autocentres.

Finally dont forget to check for online discount vouchers (eg compa2015 gets £2 off per tyre until the end of Oct) and using a cashback site, eg topcashback can get you another 2 or 3 per cent.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - Small cracks in rear tyres - Cyd

There is only one thing I have to say:

PUT YOUR NEW TYRES ON THE REAR, in accordance with all the industry training which your fitters should have had. Kwik Fit's own website agrees with this as do Tyre Safe and every major manufacturer
Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - Small cracks in rear tyres - TedCrilly

I wouldnt loose any sleep over the issue but...

Its your car, money, wellbeing, piece of mind etc so ultimately......its your call and I wouldn't criticise you for whatever decision you make.

BTW... I have always found Tyreleader to be the most competive of the online suppliers.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - Small cracks in rear tyres - hillman

I agree with Cyd

"There is only one thing I have to say:

PUT YOUR NEW TYRES ON THE REAR, in accordance with all the industry training which your fitters should have had. Kwik Fit's own website agrees with this as do Tyre Safe and every major manufacturer."

I also agree with the old saying "Sometimes buying cheap can be expensive". When buying tyres the cheap ones can be very expensive.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost - Small cracks in rear tyres - Smileyman

Mrs S had this problem on her car a few years ago, also Continental tyres, we were told that this is not a new problem and cars that drive low mileages with wheels parked in strong sunlight are more prone to this problem. Perhaps your car is habitually parked with the rear tyres in the sun but front tyres in the shade?

Car failed the MOT so tyres had to be replaced on a distress basis - which is always the costly way to buy tyres.

If you go to kwik fit book the work online in advance .. it's cheaper