Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - 096

Hello,

A reliative of mine is looking for a first car auto only, they are thinking of buying a 09 Chevrolet Matiz 0.8 Auto are they any good? Steer clear or go for it?

What other PROPER auto small cars are there for less than £3K 4 Doors and cheap on insurance, and most importantly reliable?

They did have thier eye on an Aygo but people say avoid 'Multimode' is it really that bad. What is even multimode?

Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

Edited by Sas96 on 14/10/2016 at 21:12

Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - SLO76
Wouldn't touch one. They're ancient, poorly made, unpleasant to drive, cramped, have a poor safety rating and probably the worst small auto you could buy. Avoid unless it's a sub £400 shopping cart they want.

You're right to avoid the jerky troublesome automated manual box in the Aygo. A conventional torque converter autobox is a far better bet. Kia Picanto, Hyundai i10, i20 and Suzuki Splash are all worthy options at this price.

I'd avoid any automated manuals or CVT boxes like the Honda Jazz which are noisy and can be troublesome.
Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - madf
. I'd avoid any automated manuals or CVT boxes like the Honda Jazz which are noisy and can be troublesome.

Post 2011 Jazz CVT have a torque convertor and are quiet. Lovely to drive around town. Not so good if you frequently travel long journeys..

. I'd avoid any automated manuals or CVT boxes like the Honda Jazz which are noisy and can be troublesome.

Post 2011 Jazz CVT have a torque convertor and are quiet. Lovely to drive around town. Not so good if you frequently travel long journeys..

The Jazz has never used a torque converter box but the CVT box was updated to the same system used by the hybrid model in late 2010.

The Jazz has never used a torque converter box but the CVT box was updated to the same system used by the hybrid model in late 2010.

The 2011 facelift models and onwards have torque converters - the specifciation sheets for mine state so. The slurred gearchanges confirm it.

The 2011 facelift models and onwards have torque converters - the specifciation sheets for mine state so. The slurred gearchanges confirm it.

No idea what "specification sheet" you're reading but I can assure you no UK Jazz has ever had a torque converter box with the possible exception of the early 80's box on wheels that was the first generation Jazz. Can't remember if it had an auto or or not.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/10/2016 at 01:54

No idea what "specification sheet" you're reading but I can assure you no UK Jazz has ever had a torque converter box with the possible exception of the early 80's box on wheels that was the first generation Jazz. Can't remember if it had an auto or or not.

I read the specification sheet in the Honda brochure..

Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - Metropolis.

Honda do some interesting things at times, they have even put a torque converter on a Dual Clutch Transmission in the states on their premium Acura brand. Not sure if we get the equivalent Honda badged product here or not but interesting nonetheless. articles.sae.org/13432/

Extract: "The 2015 Acura TLX replaces the TSX and the TL, and offers a ZF-sourced 9-speed automatic transmission (the 9HP) with the optional 3.5-L V6. The base car pairs its 2.4-L I4 with a Honda-developed 8-speed DCT, which features the novel twist of a torque converter in place of a clutch. Honda claims it's the first production DCT so equipped.

This gives the DCT-equipped TLX the smooth low-speed driving dynamics of a traditional automatic transmission with a gearbox that is more efficient, according to Chris Kipfer, the Assistant Large Project Manager responsible for drivetrain.

Honda's product planners and engineers interviewed drivers of cars equipped with DCTs, and “the main thing they talked about was how unrefined and unsporty they are,” said Kipfer. “The main issue is the low-speed launch.”

Incorporating a torque converter into the unit not only provides internal NVH benefits that help deliver the low-speed refinement most drivers seek, but its inherent torque multiplication boosts off-the-line acceleration. In fact, the TLX 2.4-L car accelerates to 60 mph 1.5 s faster than the TSX did, thanks in large part to the use of a torque converter, he noted.

The torque converter, supplied by Cardington Yutaka Technologies, Inc., is more expensive than a clutch for the same application. But DCT clutches demand use of a more costly dual-mass flywheel, so the torque converter solution is no more expensive overall, according to Kipfer.

The 8-speed’s additional ratios permit a much wider ratio spread than the old 5-speed automatic, contributing to the speedier acceleration and improved fuel efficiency. Where the old 5-speed’s lowest gear was an 11.768:1 ratio, the TLX’s DCT launches with a 14.084:1 ratio.

The DCT’s first seven ratios are all lower than those in the old automatic, while the eighth gear’s 2.212:1 ratio is higher than the 2.512:1 of the old one, for better highway fuel efficiency. This wider ratio spread contributes, along with changes to the engine, to the TLX’s four-cylinder scoring 2 mpg higher on the EPA’s city driving cycle and 4 mpg higher on the highway test.

The engineering team’s biggest task in developing the DCT was to optimize the transmission’s ability to change gears quickly, without hammering the car’s occupants with hard upshifts, said Kipfer.

“It was getting the feeling just right and making sure they are quick shifts without shocks,” he explained.

Naturally, the DCT has 33% quicker shifts than Honda's 5-speed automatic, but even when compared to the modern ZF 9-speed automatic used for the V6 TLX, the DCT retains an advantage in upshift speed, Kipfer said. Downshift speed for the two transmissions is very close, with a small advantage for the DCT."

Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - Bolt

I only know of a couple of people that had the Matiz, but they wouldnt buy another, too many problems, I`ve heard of the inlet manifold cracking and alternators failing early

If you google multimode it explains its faults and how it works

Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - John Boy

There's also the Vauxhall Agila B which is a rebadged Suzuki Splash. I found a used one recently as a first car (auto only) for my eldest daughter.

Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - gordonbennet

The Matiz is what it is, a very basic small car handily narrow with good all round visibility and not too much faff to go wrong, no better nor worse than many equivalent offerings.

It has one nasty design feature if what i am told is correct, the front discs are fitted inside the hub face not outside, this means one needing new discs is going to be an expensive job possibly meaning new wheel bearings if the old ones collapse on removal...early Hyundai Coupes/Elantra had the same design and the bearings would collapse when pressed out, made new disc fitting an eye watering cost.

The auto Matiz i've driven have all had torque converter autos and i was pleasantly surprised just how nice the box is, its a car i would certainly consider for local or town use, its not a car you'd want a 100 mile 80mph motorway commute in maybe, that was hardly what it was designed for, but i see plenty out there having no trouble keeping up with the flow on major roads.

Two or three years ago, I devoted some energy on here in trying to understand the different types of automatic gearboxes. Thinking back, MADF's assertion above, about TC in his Jazz, rings a bell. It's a TC used in conjunction with a CVT. I couldn't find a proper explanation at the time, so I ignored it, but there's one in this article:

www.livelifedrive.com/news/look-all-new-2014-honda...8

I think the crucial paragraph in relation to MADF's Jazz is this:

"Incorporating torque converters into a CVT is not new. Many manufacturers these days have already incorporated them in their existing models but choose not to highlight it to avoid confusing their buyers. Even within Honda, CVTs with torque converters were already being used in the second generation 2007 Honda Jazz and the previous generation 2003 Honda Odyssey."

Edited by John Boy on 16/10/2016 at 13:24

Totally new to me. The whole point of a CVT box is that it increases efficiency in part because there's no power sapping torque converter. If this is the case Honda are going to great lengths to hide it. None of the manufacturer literature on the CVT mentions it and none of the sales staff I know have heard about it. I'm no fan of Honda's CVT box to start with but adding a tc to it would only serve to degrade the fuel efficiency.
Totally new to me.

The deafening silence about this suggests that you may not be alone. A search of Ask Honest John revealed to me that Nissan also uses/used the same configuration in some of their cars.

In one of his answers HJ made an interesting distinction where hill starts are concerned - "A torque converter is a traditional automatic. Most will ‘hold’ a car on a hill by churning fluid between two paddled drums. A CVT is a clutched, continuously variable transmission and whether it will hold on a hill or not depends on the type of clutch, which may be torque converter or electromagnetic."

I'd be curious to know exactly what MADF's Jazz specification says.

Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - gordonbennet

Expensive, should it ever go wrong, hopefully it won't.

Like any and every automatic tranmission then bar Daf's variable rubber bands.

Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - daveyK_UK

the matiz is a better vehicle than people give it credit for.

had one as a hire car to get 3 blokes around for a week, was suprisingly spacious and nippy and easy to drive.

if you can find a good one, go for it

Expensive, should it ever go wrong, hopefully it won't.

Like any and every automatic tranmission then bar Daf's variable rubber bands.

The CVT on the Jazz is only used as a starting aid to 15mph. Then the CVT lock up kicks in . (there is a specific clutch for that).

The earlier Jazz CVT wore out lock up clutches due to start.stop wear.

EDIT

Mrs Madf have 5 year old Matiz for two years. Relliable but very narrow and small boot. Ok for towns if you accept 35mpg and a low rent interior.And noise at speed.

Edited by madf on 18/10/2016 at 15:48

The CVT on the Jazz is only used as a starting aid to 15mph. Then the CVT lock up kicks in . (there is a specific clutch for that).

The earlier Jazz CVT wore out lock up clutches due to start.stop wear.

Surely that should read:

The TC on the Jazz is only used as a starting aid to 15mph. Then it locks up and the CVT kicks in.

The earlier Jazz CVT wore out electromagnetic clutches due to start.stop wear.

Chevrolet Matiz - Car Hunt - Small Auto Runabout - sandy56

try a Suzuki Swift.