Vauxhall Astra - Gear change issues - manual - talia

Hi,

I had my gearbox refurbished last year and the clutch replaced. Now today I noticed a very similar issue that I had last year, when the gearbox blew up. I suddenly noticed that I couldn't get the gear out of 3, when turning in a corner. I just managed to pull in front of the house, while parking I put the gear in reverse, again I couldn't get it out. Turned engine off, and I was successful removing it. I am fearing I will need a new gearbox again :(

I did a quick check with the engine off and managed to put gears 1 & 2 & reverse, but gears 3,4 & 5 won't go in. I know is hard to determine these things without seeing it, but do I have any hope this is just something minor and is not going to cost me £2000 like last year?

Any comments appreciated :)

Vauxhall Astra - Gear change issues - manual - Peter.N.

Difficult gear disengagement is usually down to clutch drag although that normally affects all gears particularly first and reverse. Does the clutch feel as though its fully disengaging, do you have to push it right to the floor?

It still could be the clutch and also a problem with the gearbox linkage.

Thanks, the clutch seems okay, havent noticed anything different when pressing on the pedal. I turned the engine on with no gears in, with clutch pressed down it sounded fine. Same result 1 & 2 okay 3,4 & 5 not working. Once I released the clutch noticed the car making a lot louder sound, maybe like something griding?

Vauxhall Astra - Gear change issues - manual - Railroad.

The gear linkage may not be correctly adjusted. They are quite precise and needs to be done properly otherwise gears can be difficult to engage and disengage. If your problem was with the clutch then the gears most difficult to select with the engine running would be first and reverse.

Thanks, took it to the garage and the gearbox need changing once again. Only had the car for 2 years and it is the second time :( I think it might be time to throw in the towel with it...