Seat leon TDI 2013 - Turbo - phil1234

Hi,

Just a quick bit of advice as I'm fairly ignorant about this kind of thing.

I recently bought a used seat leon TDI (43k miles). Unfortunately the car lost power and engine light came on. I took it to my local seat garage. They said that the turbo needs replacing. Annoyingly it's literally just out of the warranty, but they've said they'll cover the cost of the parts (£2500 apparantly). They stated that I need to cover the costs of the labour (which will be about 8 hours work and cost about £900).

Do people think this sounds reasonable? I'm going to properly discuss with them tomorrow as only had short chats with them so far due to work.

Edited by phil1234 on 10/10/2016 at 19:33

Seat leon TDI 2013 - Turbo - Railroad.

I doubt the turbo needs replacing. More likely the vane ring is sticking due to mostly light use. Innotec Turbo Clean can be used to clean it, or you can remove and dismantle the turbo and clean it manually. There's loads of information on this all over the Internet. It's a very common problem.

Seat leon TDI 2013 - Turbo - mark

You have not given us much to go on which engine size is it?

As mentioned above there are faults that can develop and make it look like a new turbo is needed when it might be a strip and clean can be done, however you need to do the maths . Taking off and cleaning an old turbo then putting it back on is a similar cost to the labour charge to fit a new turbo plus extra for cleaning time. Obviously the cost of a new turbo needs to be added in if its needed but if you take the old one off and its goosed you are on the way to a new turbo anyway.

Most VAG turbos can be bought new on the web for between £500/£650 according to model if you Google around. Refurbished ones are less.

You need to also budget in a new turbo oil feed pipe if the turbo has gone as the old supply pipe will most likely be full of sludge. Most replacement turbo warranties are void if you do not fit a new oil pipe with the new/replacement turbo.

Again fitting a new turbo on most VAG cars is usually 4-6 hours work according to model at the most as they are mostly accessible but again you need to tell us more about which Leon you have. You may also want to have the whole boost pipe system and intercooler flushed out if the turbo has gone as it will most likely be full of oil and sludge. It no more than another hour to do this.

A friend of my mine had a new turbo fitted to a 2012 Passat using new OEM parts and oil pipe at a VW independant garage for just a tad under £1000 all in.

Regards

Mark

Edited by mark on 10/10/2016 at 21:31