Car dealers advertise 12 month MOT - mikem004

I'm looking for a second hand car. Lots of dealers advertise "12 months free MOT" for their cars.

One car was advertised as MOT until Feb 2017. It also was advertised as being sold with 12 months MOT.

What gives? I thought you were only allowed to submit a car for an MOT test from one month before the actual MOT expiry date.

So a car with a Feb 2017 MOT can only be given an extra 12 months starting from Jan 2017.

Car dealers advertise 12 month MOT - elekie&a/c doctor

There is no regulations as to when a car can be submitted for an mot.You could buy a new car today,drive it out the showroom and submit for an mot 5 mins later.There is nothing to stop you putting a car in for an mot 6 months early,but you will get the 12 months from the new mot issue,even though there may be 6 months left on existing ticket.

Car dealers advertise 12 month MOT - Falkirk Bairn

A car can be submitted for an MoT any day - if it passes it is 12 mth MoT starting the day of the test.

If you submit it up to a month earlier than an expiring MoT the cover can be 12 months & XX days.

Car dealers advertise 12 month MOT - mikem004

OK, thanks for the replies.

I wonder what would happen if a car on sale failed the MOT? The car dealer would do the necessary repairs, I expect.

Car dealers advertise 12 month MOT - alan1302

OK, thanks for the replies.

I wonder what would happen if a car on sale failed the MOT? The car dealer would do the necessary repairs, I expect.

Depends on the cost fo repairs...if it failed and the repairs were going to cost a lot they may dump the car especially at the cheaper end of the market.

Car dealers advertise 12 month MOT - FoxyJukebox

If i was buying a second hand car-I would aim for a brand new MOT whilst negotiating purchase and see if i could get all the "advisables" done too?

Car dealers advertise 12 month MOT - Galaxy

When my brother reently sold his previous car I suggested he should get a new MOT for it. There's something magical about a car with a 12 month MOT with car buyers!

As he's at work it became my job to take it in to the garage to be tested. I think the previous MOT still had about 6 months to run. Anyway, I drove the car up to the garage and handed the keys over. As the garage is very close to my house I walked back home for a cup of tea. Shortly afterwards the garage telephoned my brother to ask why he was having the car MOT tested, since, when they logged the car in to the DVLA computer, it obviously showed it still had a current MOT. He obviously explained he was selling the vehicle and thought a 12 month MOT would be a desireable selling point!

It passed but, unfortunately, got a minor advisiory. However,it wasn't a problem as the very first person who telephoned and came round bought it without any fuss; I have to say it was a very nice car.

These days, many used car dealers have a policy of getting a new 12 month MOT for every car they sell, largely for their own protection; in the same way they will also carry out an HPI check on everything they buy and sell, too.