Clueless - Nicoke mccokgan
Hi

I'm completely clueless about cars so on the lookout for some recommendations. I'm looking to buy within the next year. I have 2 children so the car needs to have good safety rating and reasonable boot space, isofix rear and front etc but I don't really want anything too big like a saloon or an SUV. Reasonably fuel efficient or at least not a guzzler. Budget 10k but willing to buy second hand. TIA
Clueless - RobJP

The most important questions : what sort of mileage do you do, and what sort of length of trips, urban, motorway, etc ?

That defines whether people recommend petrol or diesel, which is a major consideration given the potential costs of repairs etc. if the fuel type is 'wrong' for your sort of use.

Clueless - daveyjp

If you don't know what to buy, buy a Ford!

Plenty of models, plenty of choice within budget, cheap to fix, generally reliable and will happily transport two growing children.

Clueless - focussed

Buy something that is of Japanese origin that has been reasonably well looked after.

Clueless - Nicoke mccokgan

The most important questions : what sort of mileage do you do, and what sort of length of trips, urban, motorway, etc ?

That defines whether people recommend petrol or diesel, which is a major consideration given the potential costs of repairs etc. if the fuel type is 'wrong' for your sort of use.

Mainly urban. I work from home with a long commute only a few times a month Thx
Clueless - Cyd

In that case steer well clear of diesels.

“isofix rear and front”: You won’t find isofix in the front seat though it is something the industry is considering (something I’m dead set against and have said so in strategy meetings)

“don’t .. want anything .. like a saloon”: hhmm, rather restricting your choice there. Especially as you’ll need 4 or 5 doors with kids (see above)

I run a Saab 9-3: can’t argue with Saab safety and it has a huge boot and very comfortable

We recently bought my eldest son his first car, a ’03 Polo. Surprisingly roomy with a decent sized boot. It’ll also take roof bars so luggage carrying can be expanded with a roof box.

Clueless - RobJP

£10k, decent boot size, petrol ... Avensis estate or RAV-4. Or SKODA Octavia estate - all manual gearbox. Do NOT even consider the Skoda with an auto (It's a DSG box, and they horribly and expensively wrong)

You say you don't want anything too big. But you DO want something decent-sized, for getting kids into child seats and for the large boot that you say you need.

Estate better than saloon - far easier for using the boot, a lot more versatile car. If small children then a RAV-4 or other small SUV (5 door only !), as loading kids into child seats is hard on the spine in a lower car, and impossible in a 3-door variant.

Clueless - SLO76
You're spoiled for choice. Ford Focus 1.0T, Vauxhall Astra, Golf 1.4 TSI, Seat Leon, Toyota Auris, Honda Civic 1.8 VTec. All good cars with plenty of space, enough go and fine reliability.

Avoid the diesels with your usage and you'll do well with any of them. My preference would be the Civic 1.8 if you plan on longterm ownership. There's little to worry about, with no turbocharger and no timing belt and Honda's usual good standards of build thus the reason why you see so many older versions well over 10 years old still running today.

The Focus is fun but the jury is still out regards longterm durability of the 1.0 turbo, the Astra is pretty bulletproof in 1.6 petrol form but slow compared to the Civic. The Golf has plenty of poke in the 1.4 turbo and is well made, comfortable and easy to sell on.
Clueless - oldroverboy.

Kia venga 1.4 petrol bags of room or identical hyundai i20, toyota verso,

the fisrts 2 you will get the balance of the 7 and 5 year warranty. toyota might be 5 years too

Clueless - Smileyman

Car with sensible and economical engine. plenty of bootspace but also good rear passenger room, not fancy - look at the Seat Toledo / Skoda Rapid - both built in the same factory. Do not select automatic for reasons that also apply to the Skoda Octavia.

Clueless - Avant

Lots of good suggestions above. When recommending cars it's easy to forget the Skoda Rapid. It's not liked by the magazines, but I had a 1.2 Rapid as a courtesy car for a day and was surprised how lively it was. The SEAT Toledo is identical as Smileyman says, but even more people forget about it and so there aren't many used ones around. Both these will be cheaper secondhand than the equivanelt Volkswagen, so you'd gewt a newer one for your £10k.

The Kia Venga is upright and roomy (it's the Hyundai ix20 that's the same model) - a good idea if you can find one: also add the Nissan Note and Honda Jazz to your list - both have lots of room in a smallish overall size of car.

There are of course lots of Fords to choose from: if the Fiesta isn't big enough go for the Focus.

If you would like a brand-new car, lok at the Dacia range - a lot of car for your money. But if you go secondhand, be sure to get one with a full service history.

Edited by Avant on 14/09/2016 at 00:00