2006 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Weird vibrating, flapping sound under acceleration - bigshorty40

Hi All

Wondering if anyone out there can help with a recent issue thats developed with my Focus.

Car has done 112,000 miles, but for the last couple hundred miles when I accelerate hard in a high gear while at low revs (between 1000 - 2000 rpm), I get a flapping, vibrating noise from the front drivers side area. It doesn't happen by revving engine while stationary, only happens when driving, accelerating gently doesn't produce the sound, and after around 2000 rpm the noise goes away. The best way to describe the noise is like the sound that is made when you put a piece of card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel while its rotating. The sound isn't noticable in the lower gears, but can't be sure that it isn't happening in these gears. I've changed the alternator belt thinking that it could've become loose, but this hasn't rectified the problem. The engine undershield and top cover are firmly attached, as is the wheel arch liner. There is no physical vibration from the car during the noise, and the running of the car is as it should be. I know of someone else who has the same car as me, and has had this noise going on for the last two years of owning it, but car still runs ok. We'd both like to get to the bottom of this noise and hoping someone out there can help us out. Have heard that some Mondeo TDCI owner experience similar noises that have been linked to intercooler supporting bracket issues, didn't know if this could be a possibility with the Focus, as the intercooler is located at the front drivers side of the car IIRC.

Any views, advice or help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Weird vibrating, flapping sound under acceleration - RichardW

Has the cambelt been changed? They can get noisy on this engine with age (although this is usually a squeaking noise at idle). The small chain that drives the exahust cam can wear, and then it can catch on the head when it's going round. Chaning this is a bit of night mare that involves persuading they injectors that they really would like to come out of the head! Not sure how you would diagnose this though.

Might be worth popping off the inlet hose to the turbo and checking for play in the turbo shaft - I wonder if perhaps it a bit worn (not exactly unknown on this engine) and the blades are catching on the housing when you give it some beans.

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Weird vibrating, flapping sound under acceleration - bigshorty40

Thanks for the reply. Cambelt was changed at 86,000 miles apparantly (no documented proof of this, but as car has now done 112,000 miles I'm presuming it would have gone pop by now if it hadn't been changed, or is my presumption wrong??). I'm not familar with the small exhaust cam chain you mentioned, and what it does, so would have no idea where to look regarding this, but its obviously not going to be anything easily visible of course. I will check the turbo shaft for excessive play though, out of interest what would you call 'excessive play'?

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Weird vibrating, flapping sound under acceleration - RichardW

The belt interval on this engine is 150k / 10 years - failure is very rare.

You can't see the chain as it is inside the head - no idea how you would diagnose - elimination of all other possibilities perhaps.

Ideally there should be no play in the turbo shaft, but at 112k you may find you can feel it wiggle a little, however, you should not be able to see it moving, and there definitely needs to be no sign of blade / housing contact.

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Weird vibrating, flapping sound under acceleration - 3uga

Check engine/gearbox antiroll mount. Tighten it if necesary.

Someone else mentioned this to me. I know there are 3 mounts on this type of Focus, left and right mounts in engine bay, I presume the one you have mentioned is the one underneath the car to the back of the engine?

2006 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Weird vibrating, flapping sound under acceleration - 3uga

it is underneath the car, near the evac. pipe (back side of the engine). You will need to lift up the car to reach it(garage lift)
I had the same problem and turns out that the mount came loose (no reason at all)

Just trying to get to the right area to check. Is this the mount I should be checking:

media.photobucket.com/user/jenxism/media/Engine%20...s[term]=engine%20mount%20focus&filters[primary]=images

I don't think that link worked. Try this one:

s157.photobucket.com/user/AntonioMontana0/media/ph...l