Mazda 3 - Heavy steering - Engineer Andy

I recently found that my Mazda3's steering has got a lot heavier, though still usable. I checked the fluid level and its within range (last serviced in Jan 16 at my local main dealer), and the dealership 'checked' it when I had the clutch replaced a few weeks ago and couldn't find any issues, other than to say 'its getting old' (possibly because they want me to buy a new car).

After a bit of hunting around on Google, I came across a video from a US mechanic called Scotty Kilmer (on YouTube, no relation to Val) you said (and showed) that using 'Seafoam TransTune' could be used to flush/clean the steering system of gunk that may have accumulated over the years, requiring the following:

1. Drain half of the existing ps fluid as possible (he used a 'turkey baster [big pipette]);
  2. Add half the can/bottle of the TT fluid and replace the reservoir cap;
  3. Start the car up, turn the steering from lock to lock a few times, give it a rest (engine idoling) for a few minutes and repeat;
  4. Empty the reservoir completely, wait a few moments for any of the TT fluid to evaporate and fill up with new PS fluid.

Seems simple and worked on the video, but has anyone tried this in the UK (is TransTune or similar available/recommended, any pitfalls). Is just replacing the PS fluid just as good (or using it to flush the system itself before replacing it)? This could save me £900 for replacing the pump, which appears still to work, just the system doesn't give that much assistance. All tyre pressures ok if you're wondering.

I would like to get this sorted asap as I'm going on holiday next week to the West Country, which will be a 300 mile drive. Comments and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Mazda 3 - Heavy steering - Topdude

I wouldn't do anything unusual or unproven just before going on a long holiday drive. If you must do something then just replace the fluid with fresh and see if it improves.

Mazda 3 - Heavy steering - Peter.N.

The condition and pressure of the tyres can make quite a difference to the steering. Has it suddenly gone heavy or gradually?

The condition and pressure of the tyres can make quite a difference to the steering. Has it suddenly gone heavy or gradually?

Quite quickly, over a day or two at most. I've checked and re-checked the tyre pressures and condition, and they're fine - they've only done about 10k miles or so anyway, and I got 40-45k miles out of the previous set.

I did try putting in some (about half of the 325ml can - the same-ish of the reservior level) 'Wynns Automatic Transmission & Power Steering Stop Leak and conditioner' is yesterday afternoon, followed the general instructions for this type of stuff (including the other one I mentioned) and then went for a 1hr test run - not really a lot of change thus far, though it may be that either the Wynn stuff isn't so quick acting as the other US stuff I previously mentioned, or the issue isn't a clogged up system.

Not sure whether a pump failure would leave it as it is (the system doesn't make the same slight low whine near to full lock as it used to), or some other issue is causing the problem. To be honest, I don't know if a full failure (say) of the system (e.g. the pump) would mean the car would be undriveable (which it isn't), especially as the system wanring light hasn't come on.

Unless anyone has some alternative ideas as to the cause, I'm going to leave the Wynn stuff in for a few more days as I drive to/from work, hoping it'll just do its job a bit slower (it doesn't say how quickly it does its job), then change as much of it out as I can for some fresh PS fluid on Friday before I go on my longer holiday to the West country on Saturday.

Pardon my ignorance of modern cars but does it have electric steering or an engine driven pump?

Pardon my ignorance of modern cars but does it have electric steering or an engine driven pump?

No problem - I had to look it up myself. It apparently has a pump, presumably driven by the engine (likely via a belt rather than via it generating electricity, but not sure).

Given the main dealership had a 'look', I presume they at least checked to see that any belt-driven aspects of the system were working, though they didn't really say anything more than they 'couldn't find anything wrong'.

Mazda 3 - Heavy steering - elekie&a/c doctor
Heavy steering can be caused by other components on the steering/suspension system rather than the pas system.I would get the ball joints and strut top mounts checked for any binding.

If it is a belt driven pump a slipping belt can cause loss of assistance.

As leckie doc says it could be something else in the mechanism, there is usually a universal joint at the bottom of the steering column, they can seize up.

Roughly how much would it cost for these sort of things to be checked, and if they had a problem, repaired/replaced?

I'm really only looking to keep the car until the end of the year if something suitable comes along to replace it, however, I may need to hang onto it for long if nothing does (nothing as yet really has caught my eye).

At present, the heavier steering is a minor annoyance rather than a major issue - given I now (since May) have been commuting to work by car again (175 miles pw), I'm wondering if and when it'll get worse/undriveable (hopefully at least after I return from holiday - which could include from 700 to 1000 miles worth of driving). I almost certain don't have time (4 days) to get anything diagnosed/fixed before I go away. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed until I return.

Sometimes its easier (as with the clutch going recently) when a problem has only one or two causes, rather than many!

I can't really answer that I'm afraid, most of my experience has been with elderly Citroen/Peugeot cars. I would suggest you look for a Mazda specific forum on the net.

No problem - thanks for your help. I did try looking on the Mazda3 forum, sadly no similar issues reported as far as I could see.

Mazda 3 - Heavy steering - Quicksilver

Get somebody to check it carefully. Had this happen on an Omega many years ago. Dealer examined it and would not let me drive it out. Had partial collapase of steering colum.

Was a warranty repair on a lease car and it was very dangerous. Expensive to repair.

Q.

My local dealership had a look at it (though how detailed is unknown as I was at work at the time) when I had my clutch changed, and said it was ok - just that the heavier steering was attributable to the car 'getting old'. Hmm - I still suspect they were trying to get me to buy a new car, at least in a small way.

Mazda 3 - Heavy steering - S40 Man

How us your alternator? I had a Volvo s40 which is a focus clone like Mazda 3. My alternator failed and steering was periodically very heavy as the battery power fell. Can you check battery voltage easily?

How us your alternator? I had a Volvo s40 which is a focus clone like Mazda 3. My alternator failed and steering was periodically very heavy as the battery power fell. Can you check battery voltage easily?

Only by taking it to the dealership. Not sure if it makes any difference, but of late, after I putit the Wynns stuff, the steering is lighter for a few seconds after starting up when I move off. It doesn't change other than then. My battery is only 1 year old as well - until recently I did go through them every 4 years or so as I was doing low mileage (not short journeys but just not used often).

Unless it gets any worse, I'll probably wait until it's serviced in Dec/Jan before taking things further, especially if it means replacing more parts just as I'm thinking of buying a new car anyway. The problem is that there appears to be many possible causes but which are difficult to diagnose without replacing the part in question - I could replace several and still find its wasn't the cause.

Mazda 3 - Heavy steering - Metropolis.

I also watch Scotty Kilmer. He is great. Good honest advice and generally tries to save viewers a few quid. That said, he isn't here in person looking at your car to properly diagnose. But, it could be a cheap option to try prior to a potentially expensive repair/replacement.

If anyone here decides to take a look at his channel it's well worth a look. He does yell alot but that's because he's partially deaf.

I managed to source some of the 'Trans Tune' stuff from (what appears to be) a reputable online UK retailer for £16.50 - its being delivered next week, so I'll give it a go next weekend and let you know how I get on.

I'd rather pay this now, even if the problem still persists and the car needs a far more expensive fix after a 'full' diagnosis (as said before, no nasty noises or sudden changes in steering feel or it not trying to centre itself - just heavier than it used to be), well, I've only spent £16 extra (not a lot if you're spending £800+ for a new PS pump to be fitted). If the Trans Tune does the job, then I'll get the system properly flushed and PS fluid completely replaced at the forthcoming service in lat Dec/early Jan, just to remove any residual gunk.

Watch this space - if it works, it may be worth using as a first resort (before shelling out £££ for expensive new parts) on many an older car with such a problem (assuming someone hasn't correctly diagnosed the problem at a reasonable cost). What's strange is that UK garages don't seem to have heard of this stuff, or to try and use it (or anything similar) to remove gunk, other than to flush the PS system with ordinary fluid, which presumably doesn't work.

Mazda 3 - Heavy steering - liammcl

Any Relevance ?

wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/mazda-recalls-...1

cheers
Liam

Any Relevance ?

wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/mazda-recalls-...1

cheers
Liam

Good spot! Who knows, though I would've thought by now that any problems would have already come to light if it had affected cars made in other years (mine was made in Oct 2005 [registered in Jan 2006]).

Just to let BRs know how I got on with the 'TransTune':

I put half a bottle in, about 235ml (removing the same of the PS reservoir) and followed the instructions from the US chap on YouTube. The fluid taken out looked fine (clear red, not brown or smelled burnt). After doing all the stationary wheel turning and test drive, the steering was noticably better, but not to the degree I'd hoped for.

I have left the TT in (allowable according to the maker) for two weeks now, and again, a small, but noticeable improvment in ease of turning the steering wheel, even yesterday after filling up with fuel, which makes the steering a bit heavier. I temporarily removed some of the fluid last weekend to see if the TT had disolved any 'gunk' or residue off any moving parts in the system, but didn't see any.

It could be there isn't anything for it to clean up and the effect is a better 'conditioner' additive than the Wynns can I previously used (which also can stop leaks - TT isn't desinged to do that - mine isn't leaking anyway). Anyway, I'll keep the TT in for now and hope things improve further (or at least don't get any worse), maybe getting the system flushed at the forthcoming service around the turn of the year.