Ford Fiesta 2010 - Do I need to change timing belt before its time? - Maddymadge

Hi,

Two weeks ago, I purchased a Ford Fiesta 1.4 Tdci , 2010. I had it checked by click mechanics and report was ok apart from a few issues that the dealer repaired. However, a friend of mine told me I should have had the timing belt, tensioner etc replaced. Anyway, I bought the car so they won't replace it and the recommendations on the book is 10 years or 150 000 miles. The car has 65 000 miles on the clock and is 6 year old. I had to borrow a fair amount of money to buy it and can't afford any purchases these next few months but I have read horror stories on the net. I am planning to have it done in the next six months for peace of mind but just wondering if it s a bit of a risk. On the report from the mechanic, it s written the driving belts are in good condition but I suspect this did not include the timing belt. Unfortunately, there are no service history or repair receipt. I phoned Ford service who told me none were made in their dealers. I can understand that as I always go to my local garage but the fact I have no history on the car is a bit worrying even though the mechanic said the car was in good condition for six year old. Can a timing belt be damaged if the person was driving short distances and type of driving, or if the car wasn't serviced properly or is it just with miles and age that a timing belt get damaged?

Sorry for so many questions but as you can see, I don't know anything about cars and my friend comment is stressing me out! Thanks for answering ??

Maddy

Ford Fiesta 2010 - Do I need to change timing belt before its time? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would suggest 10 years or 100k miles ,to be on the safe side.The cambelt is a non service item and only changed when due on either miles or time.It cannot be damaged by driving style,unless the car is being driven to the red line to self destruct at every gearchange.Dont worry about it.These Fiestas are very durable.

Ford Fiesta 2010 - Do I need to change timing belt before its time? - John F

..... I have read horror stories on the net. I am planning to have it done in the next six months for peace of mind but just wondering if it s a bit of a risk.

It's always risky disturbing machinery that is running nicely. Most of the horror stories I have read concern people who have unnecessarily changed their cambelt only to run into trouble a few thousand miles later. If Ford felt there was a significant risk of their cambelts breaking in less than 10yrs or 100,000 miles they would adjust their advice accordingly. I would leave well alone.

Can a timing belt be damaged if the person was driving short distances and type of driving, or if the car wasn't serviced properly or is it just with miles and age that a timing belt get damaged?

Unless you are and insensitive boy-racer, driving style is irrelevant. Cambelts are usually only damaged when they things they drive fail, e.g. water pump or tension pulley. They usually give warnings - leaks and/or strange noises.

Ford Fiesta 2010 - Do I need to change timing belt before its time? - Maddymadge

Thank you both for this reassuring advice. I ll probably wait until in the 90 000 miles to change it. I was worried as I bought the car with no service history or repair receipts at all hence the question about damage being caused by type of driving. But you put my mind at rest now so thank you again.