Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - Too Far

Hi, I wondered if I might be able to get some advice on buying a used car that is a couple of years old.

I am looking to buy a used car for about 15k that is couple of years old and has less than 30k mileage, ideally it will have less than 20k. I have a thread on the make and model and have received some good advice – thank you.

I’ve read this article; http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/buy_sell/buying-approved-used/ and can clearly see the advantages of buying an approved car.

However, if the car still has 12 months or more manufacturers’ warranty, do I really still need to buy an approved car?

When I’m searching for cars on a website such as Autotrader, only small percentage of the adverts have little green ticks next to them, indicating that the car is being sold as approved by the manufacturer.

There are lots of ‘Car Supermarkets’ near me that seem to sell at slightly reduced price, but obviously they’re not approved by the manufacturer.

Therefore if I want an approved car, my choice is dramatically reduced.

So, from your own experiences, is it still worth buying an approved car even if it still has 12 months or more manufacturers’ warranty?

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - RT

Dealers, of all sorts, seem to get virtually all their cars from BCA auctions or it's few competitors. BCA use a grading system from 1 to 5 depending on the amount of preparation needed - that grade plays a major part in the price bidders are prepared to pay.

Manufacturers' Approved Schemes generally only use grade 1/2 cars with the rest going to non-franchised dealers and car supermarkets. Manufacturers' Approved Schemes also have access to the warranty repair history of each vehicle, something that non-franchised dealers and car supermarkets don't.

I recently traded a 4+ year old Hyundai through WBAC/BCA, so still under original warranty - to me it looked visually perfect but the buyer found a dent so minor it was only visible with the special inspection lights they use, so was downgraded to BCA grade 2 - but it didn't become a Hyundai Approved car because they alone would know of it's extensive mechanical warranty work including an engine/transmission rebuild! It was sold on through a non-franchised dealer so someone saved a few quid over a Hyundai Approved car but got a car with a problematic history.

I've only ever bought Approved cars when buying secondhand apart from a couple of private purchases - although I now buy new, the family get me to source Approved cars when they need to change.

Having seen some of the cars at a car supermarket, models that I was familiar with, they can be in very poor condition but look fine from the outside!

Edited by RT on 12/08/2016 at 10:58

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - RobJP

I've usually found that there is virtually no difference in price when looking at 'approved' manufacturer cars compared to FOW, cargiant, etc. Maybe a few hundred pounds at most.

But then take into account that a lot of the car supermarkets try charging you an 'admin fee', they're less willing to move on the sale price (sorry, we're cheap already, we don't discount), and their part-ex offers are often lower, you might find that the more expensive sticker-price car in the main dealership ends up being cheaper.

The price on the screen is only the start of negotiations.

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - oldroverboy.

I bought my kia venga 2 1.4 manual from a Kia dealer at less than a year old and saved £5000 against list of £14000.

properly prepared, checked over, spotless, full size spare (steel) thrown in with 3 year service pack.

better px than motorpoint (£700 more) with similiar vehicle, no fuss, no "pressure" all done at a time convenient for me.

If you can, buy main dealer if they have the car you want, Car supermarkets can be good but choose carefully and make sure that "service history" is main dealer service history, and if you save a fe grand ok.

Just don.t be sidetracked by any of them. Get what you want!

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - Stumblebum

I would be suspicious if a nearly new car was not being sold by a main dealer under an approved use car scheme. Normally these cars are prime stock for main dealers - unless they are Friday specials rejected by clients and passed on auction.

I' sure this is not true in all cases, but I would be extra careful. May be less of concern for car supermarkets if they source their stock from car rental or car fleets.

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - FoxyJukebox

The word Approved is a marketing term, like "New" or "Fresh" or the increasingly used "Solutions" when referring to PC services.

What I would like to know is how a dealer deals with a used car that is Un-approved. I assume it goes to auction before the mileage and paperwork is magic-ed up-then put on Arthur Daleys site with a "Car of the Week" sign on the windscreen?

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - RT

Most trade-ins at dealers go straight to auction, although occasionally a dealer will retail the car again if they either have a prospective customer looking for that sort of car or their stock is short of that type.

Most used cars at dealers are bought at auction, often closed auctions, which include all the cars coming off lease and PCP as well as the multitude of "management" cars and rental cars.

The word "Approved" is a marketing term signifying the manufacturer's backing but it means SFA when dealers buy grade 3/4 cars and then repair/prepare them badly.

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - RobJP

The word Approved is a marketing term, like "New" or "Fresh" or the increasingly used "Solutions" when referring to PC services.

What I would like to know is how a dealer deals with a used car that is Un-approved. I assume it goes to auction before the mileage and paperwork is magic-ed up-then put on Arthur Daleys site with a "Car of the Week" sign on the windscreen?

Basically, that's about it. I know, for example, that the BMW dealer group in my area almost exclusively puts up as 'approved used' cars that have been traded-in by their customers or <12 month old stock from BMWGB, hardly ever buying at auction. As to what they will put up for sale as 'approved', it's a combination of rarity, age, mileage, condition, spec. So you might see them ship off a basic 320d at 2 years old to auction, whereas a 7 yr old M5, if in perfect condition, might get pride of place in the showroom. They even had a 2007 Z4 coupe 30Si in the showroom a few months back, just because of the low mileage, high spec and perfect condition.

Quite refreshing really : I know of a Volvo dealership where nothing over 18 months old is ever on the forecourt, no matter what condition, etc.

Edited by RobJP on 12/08/2016 at 13:49

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - The Gingerous One

I bought my then-2.5 yr old Jag XF from approved dealer, I wasn't prepared to touch any other source for it.

One thing that "Approved" scheme was a bit grey on was that apparently, there was no requirement for the scheduled services to have been carried out !!

One of the XF's I looked at had not been serviced for 20k, (should be done every 10k) so I politely made my excuses and left. I can bet that the aftermarket waranty company would have not been happy about that, should any issues have arised.

So, I would still go for used approved schemes, but still check all the service history etc. because it may not all be there.

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - Miniman777

In my view, it all depends on the areas covered by the approved car warranty.

Back in Dec 2014, I bought a 58 plate Cooper S from a Mini dealer, with the Approved Mini warranty. They knew the car, its history and provided me with proof the turbo water pump recall had been carried out, and the original as built spec sheet. FSH too.

Six weeks later car develops bad misfire, was towed in to local Mini agent, and two days later the diagnosis is broken piston. It was at this point I thought 'this is when you find out how cast-iron the Mini warranty is' as the synopsis was new short engine.

The approved Mini warranty covered the full cost of the short engine, labour, new water pump, gaskets, etc, etc. The also did a decoke as head was clogged, which was fault of previous owner and too many short journeys. Dealer invoice was £6,600, though my Plan B in case it wasnt a warranty job was a used lump from a breaker, and a friend's garage to fit.

Cannot fault the Mini warranty. Was put in a rental car day car was accepted at dealer - 3 series for the first five days, then a Megane once we knew the timescal for repairs. Was kept regularly informed of progress too.

Eight months on, car using water, and thermostat housing leaking as was new water pump. Again, warranty covered it all with a hire car. Only niggle was that Mini thermostat housings were scarce and on back order and I had to really push to get dealer to find one as I wanted to sell the car - company car had arrived.

One reason I chose a car with the Mini warranty was that the liability is the value of the car - in my case £7,800. Other warranties (non-franchised dealers) are less comprehensive covering £1,000 parts and labour if you are lucky - which doesnt go far on a modern car.

I'd have no hesitation about buying a car with a manufacturer warranty on the same liability limit as BMW/Mini, rather than a limited liability. Whether other warranties are as comprehensive is debatable. Some warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on, as this forum has shown.

Also, the change in consumer law giving the right of rejection or that a major fault was considered developing or present up to 6 months is added assurance in a way.

Wife has an Approved Used Mini too, and in 11 months, one fault, repaired under warranty, no problem.

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - Avant

There's some excellent advice on this thread, which I hope you find helpful, Too Far. The crucial points from this for used car buyers are:

1 Unless you're into bangernomics (and nothing wrong with that, but it's a different ball-game), insist in a full service history with some evidence that it's genuine, and not just some joker rubber-stamping a book.

2 If you take out a used car warranty, check the small print carefully - are the exclusions only for wear-and-tear items, and what's the upper limit for a claim?

In the past we've had tales of woe on here from people with rejected claims, at least some of whom had found to their surprise, and cost, that the warranty company stuck very rigidly to their Ts and Cs.

Thank you for your story, Miniman: it's as well that the Mini Approvced warranty is one of the more generous ones, as buying a used Mini tends to be more of a gamble as it's more likely to have been driven hard by a previous owner than, say, a Honda Jazz.

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - Too Far

Thanks for all the great advice.

I've decided to go for an approved Honda - hopefully I won't have to find out how good their warranty is!

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - oliviacolewood

I'd say getting an approved used car is worth the extra cost. Places like xxxx are probably your best bet.

(LInk deleted - looks like a feeble attempt at a free advert.)

Edited by Avant on 18/05/2018 at 01:18

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - FP

"Places like xxxx are probably your best bet."

And your connection with that organisation is...?

Edited by Avant on 18/05/2018 at 01:18

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - Manatee

However, if the car still has 12 months or more manufacturers’ warranty, do I really still need to buy an approved car?

Don't take the warranty for granted based purely on the age.

It would be pretty hard for a franchised dealer to wriggle out of, but buying 'non-approved' it is important to check that all services have been done, one time/mileage, by a franchised dealer or service agent.

Legally it would sufficient to have had it serviced elsewhere to retain the warranty, but you may be put to proof that it was done to manufacturer requirments and using only genuine parts.

The full manufacturer service record also greatly improves your chance of a goodwill repair if if breaks down just out of warranty.

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - Gibbo_Wirral

Thread is two years old and has been bumped into life by a spammer

Approved used cars - worth the extra cost? - Manatee

I usually spot those!