'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - LHM
Hi,

After a couple of 'incidents' this morning, I was left wondering where the responsibility lies for the safe merging of traffic joining a busy motorway.

'Officially', there is a 'give way' marking at the end of the slip road - so it might be argued that it is the sole responsibility for the joining driver to match his/her speed to that of the road being joined. I always do my best to accommodate joining traffic when I'm in lane 1, but sometimes it's very difficult when the road is busy.

How, then, do you cope with a joining vehicle (usually bigger!)which just forces its way onto the motorway? Can the driver in lane 1 ever be deemed at fault for a 'coming together' in this way?

Top Reply

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Wally Zebon
I can't believe the answers I'm seeing here.

As mentioned, it is a GIVE WAY.

If the joining vehicle cannot safely join the motorway, it should wait until it can, even if that means coming to a stop. A question relating to this is frequently seen on the online theory tests found on the internet.

A slip road is basically an angled T junction (although with no right turn).

I do appreciate that it's not much fun knowing you were in the right whilst lying in a hospital bed, but at the same time, you were "in the right"!

All Replies

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - jd
LHM,

Technically, the drivers on the motorway have priority and this means they may or may not be able to move over (to lane 2) to accomodate joining traffic.

It is up to the vehicle joining to adjust his speed and timing so that he shouldn't need to stop or cause any vehicle on the motorway to take avoiding action.

To cope with a vehicle 'pushing' onto the motorway I would suggest earlier observation before the sliproad joins and a keen anticipation of what 'might' happen. Also, it is crucial to be aware of where your escape route is whenever you are driving past a joing sliproad, for exactly the event you have described.

So really, the only way to cope is for first-class observation and awareness.

Bit of a boring reply I suppose..........

JD

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - No Do$h
A policy I adopt is to start monitoring the middle and outer lanes for gaps as I pass the off slip. If it appears a vehicle joining the Mway may come too close, I can then move across. If it is really busy, I tend to move into the middle lane at the earliest safe opportunity after the off-slip (as to all intents and purposes I am "overtaking" traffic joining the Mway), returning to the left lane once safe to do so.

From an insurance and police point of view, I doubt you would have much luck with the argument that the joining motorist was responsible. Chances are that you have full sight of them but they only have limited sight of you, putting the onus for avoiding action on you.

Always safest to assume that no other motorist can see you and drive accordingly. It's no comfort to lie in a hospital bed, dealing with letters from the insurers that have written off your pride and joy, knowing you were "in the right".
I can't believe the answers I'm seeing here.

As mentioned, it is a GIVE WAY.

If the joining vehicle cannot safely join the motorway, it should wait until it can, even if that means coming to a stop. A question relating to this is frequently seen on the online theory tests found on the internet.

A slip road is basically an angled T junction (although with no right turn).

I do appreciate that it's not much fun knowing you were in the right whilst lying in a hospital bed, but at the same time, you were "in the right"!

Whilst I agree with you wholeheartedly Wally, the problem is that most accidents involve someone in the wrong and someone in the right. If the person "in the right" sees the other and fails to take appropriate action, they too are in the wrong.

Blimey, if we all drove on the basis that we were in the right so didn't need to take avoiding action, the roads would be jammed with smashed cars.

Taking your comments one step further, what would you do if a motorist pulled out of a side road into your path? Would you take avoiding action or would you smack into them without any attempt to avoid it?

Bringing the analogy closer to the slip-road scenario, you see a motorist about to exit a side road and you don't think they've seen you. What do you do then?

Anyway, I thought you had an Audi, the thinking
:o)

Ooops.....
Anyway, I thought you had an Audi, the thinking man's BMW.....
:o)

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Blue {P}
I nearly had a similar incindet, except I was the one who was "in the wrong". I was joining a virtually empty dual carriageway (National Speed Limit) from the slip road, and I was up to about 50 mph when a car in the inside lane didn't move over but flew up towards me at 70+. They didn't move over despite the fact that I was indicating well in advance of joining and there was *nobody* else on the road.

I know they had no requirement to move over legally, but when they had every opportunity and it wouldn't have caused a problem for them, I thought it was a bit bad coming up so quickly in the left hand lane, as it was I saw them just in time to swerve back into the slip road and onto the rumble strip, then thank god they budged over a little and I could mange to get in onto the road. I know that technically it was my fault, I was at a giveway, but when the road was empty, you don't expect someone to deliberately try and force you off the road by refusing to move into a totally empty lane. and like I've said, he must have been moving quickly 'cos he caught me up very rapidly.
Blue
Blue, a classic example of what I was describing.

There's a section of dual carriageway near here which runs through the edges of the New Forest and through farm and forestry land for about 6 miles before there is a junction (Blackwater on the Bournemouth Spur Road for those that know it). The junction is just over a rise and you only get about 10 seconds warning at 70. The onslip is VERY short, preceded by a very tight 180 degree run-in and visibility is hindered by gorse growing on the edges of the slip.

Without fail there is an accident on this stretch every rush hour, caused by motorists failing to move out into the outside lane or by someone on the slip accelerating into the back of a stationary vehicle at the end of the slip. Despite this, nobody seems to modify their behaviour and you will see the same stoney-faced individuals hammering along the inside lane at 80mph with "They have to give way, not me" written all over them. Trouble is, when "they" do give way, they get shunted into the traffic by the bloke behind who thinks they shouldn't have stopped.....
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Godfrey H {P}
All this advance observation stuff is all very well but how do you cope with the nutter in a BMW joining the motorway at ( I kid you not) 125 mph?
Not a nice one Godfrey.

As previoulsy mentioned, you should always be aware of an escape route. Assuming I have already moved out to the middle lane, my personal reaction would be to (a) slow and drop back into the inner lane, giving said nutter a route out to "his" lane on the right, (b) stay in same lane if inner lane not clear and again, drop back as rapidly as is safe to do or (c) move into the outside lane for the same reason (i.e. giving the Beemer a safe corridor). I know it's frustrating, but it's their funeral, not yours.

The decision on which way to go is going to be based on your continued observation of the available space in each lane. I can't stress enough that motorway on-slips are amongst the most dangerous places on UK roads, hence most accidents being at or immediately past them.

I have to hold my hand up to feelings of sheer rage and frustration when I see people drive like this and I have been known to do the indefensible and "block" those determined to mimic a low-flying tomahawk, but since my daughter was born 3and a half years ago, I grew up in one heck of a hurry. I want to see her grow up and that is always in the back of my mind if the red mist descends when I'm on the road.

I'm not an IAM driver, just have many 100s of 1000s if accident free miles (and a fair few track days) under my belt so folks, feel free to correct me on this one.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Dave_TD
I can't stress enough that motorway on-slips are amongst the most dangerous places on UK roads, hence most accidents being at or immediately past them.

???? Where are the figures to prove that?

As far as I was aware, mile-for-mile motorways are several times safer places to drive than any other type of road.
It's just that because of the higher speeds involved, and the less stimulating environment, minor errors tend to develop much more quickly into major situations and any impacts tend to be a lot harder.
What really worries me is that we have all of these motorists who scrape through a driving test, rarely drive anywhere other than to and from work or the shops, but think they are "good" drivers, being let loose on fast-flowing, busy motorways at all...
\'Give Way\' at motorway slip roads - Obsolete
DTD: I don\'t know for sure - no figures - but my prejudice is that problem drivers on motorways are the \'expert\' drivers who have excellent car control honed over many years, but take unnecessary risks and lack patience. I guess a newby coming across one of these could easily contribute to a crash due to being intimidated and lacking experience. (I speak from past experience.)

Just occurred to me that it has become popular in job interviews to do those vile psychometric personality tests. I wonder if these are any good at predicting driving style and hence degree of insurance risk?
Just occurred to me that it has become popular in job
interviews to do those vile psychometric personality tests. I wonder if
these are any good at predicting driving style and hence degree
of insurance risk?

Good question! Seeing as everyone has their own idea of what makes a "good" driver, I would imagine it would be quite hard to interpret those test results impartially though. Hmmm. You've got me thinking now!
This motorway thread and the other current one have both really got me on my high horse today, must be something to do with being off ill!
Leif - Try this:

www.roadragetest.co.uk/

It was the closest I could find!
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - HF
Hmm, I don't think I like my results on that, DTD!
HF
Actually HF, I reckon that deserves a thread all of its own! So i'll start one here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=11...2
Hi DTD.

I agree that mile for mile our motorways are very safe indeed when compared to pretty much any other class of road. My comment is based on personal observation and conversations with traffic officers who cover some of the South's motorways. They pointed out pretty much what you just put, which is that the higher speeds involved tend to exacerbate minor errors.

The problem specifically with onslips is the alarming disparity in traffic speeds. A classic is the M3 southbound /M27 Westbound interchange, where commuter traffic from London/Reading/Basingstoke has hammered down the congested M3 at 90+ and comes screaming along into local traffic doing 55 in the inside lane. What inevitably happens is that the M3 traffic heads straight out onto the outside lane, still doing 90+, whipping across 3 lanes of slower moving traffic, with disasterous consequences on most days.

On the other side of the coin you have onslips like the one at Winchester north, where urban traffic joins the same London commuter traffic, only this time you have artics doing 56, cars doing 80 and cars doing 90+ in the respective lanes, with a steady stream of local traffic desperately trying to merge, not always with too much success.

Onslips only make up a minute proportion of our motorways but account for by far the largest number of motorway accidents, hence my comment.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Obsolete
ND: The slip road at - I think - Winchester South on the M3 is a nightmare. Here a 2 lane motorway becomes 3 lanes. High speed cars scream down the slip road all bunched up and then fight to get into lane 3. I'd forgotten how manic these "I've got to get to 100 mph in lane 3" people can get.
All in all a pretty nasty piece of motorway, isn't it!
Yup. They could improve the design by making the transition from 2 to 3 lanes a decent way before the slip road. Course it might not be as easy as that!
Leif, do you remember how it was before they built that section up to two lanes? The Hockley traffic lights and Spitfire bridge? Believe me, what we have today is an improvement.

I think they went as far as they could with the junctions/lanes taking into account the environmental impact on the south downs and a nearby SSI. It was all pre-swampy, but it still got a lot of punishment in the press.

It's still a pig of a junction, mind.
I only took and passed my test 5 years ago despite age so I don't remember. Did I really suggest they should have removed even more of a SSI? I have been there recording rare fungi on numerous occasions.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Tim
County and Highways have been reviewing this junction's layout for sometime to try and alleviate some of the tailbacks into the city and trailing back on the A34 southbound. One consideration IIRC was to try and figure out a way of letting the A34 flow directly onto the M3.

Two junctions that people join motorways particularly slowly are those on the M3 either side of what's left of Twyford Down. People seem to think they have a preordained right to join the motorway at 35mph no matter what the conditions!

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - clariman
I seem to recall that there is a motorway sliproad that joins the motorway in the outside lane. I think it may be the M5 somewhere. Anyone got any more details, possibly a link to a photo or something?

clariman
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - SteveH42
I seem to recall that there is a motorway sliproad that
joins the motorway in the outside lane.

M60, Bredbury junction. Something like Jct24 - it'll be obvious from Multimap but I haven't the time to check at the moment.

You join as an extra lane and the inside lane ends a few hundred yards afterwards. It's not usually a problem until you get the idiots who potter down the (much longer than usual) sliproad at 35, or the drivers already on the motorway who'd rather undertake you than give you chance to pull in and let them past.
The problem was I was already in the inner lane with no escape route due to traffic already overtaking me. Adding to the problem I had no time to plan for his antics as due to the nature of the slip road giving a limited view of joining traffic.
Now the design of the slip road was perfectly safe for traffic joing at 70 mph but this guy was doing 125 mph and he was going to join the motorway at that speed no matter what (absolutely typical of some BMW drivers - dons nomex suit and ducks for cover ). All I could do was brake hard and pray that the guy behind me was awake
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - HGV ~ P Valentine

National speed limit for a slip road is not 50, you car drivers need to get that out of your heads, how can it be 50 when the good book tells you ti use it to get up to teh same speed as vehicles already on the carriageway travelling at 65 +

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - RT

Motorway slip road have the posted limit at the start of the slip road the same as the motorway itself, usually 70.

I was taught to accelerate up to 60 in the first half of the slip road, then adjust my speed to the traffic - up to 70 if it's all cars doing that or down to 55 if it's all LGVs on their limiters.

But at the end of the slip road you must only change lane across the dotted line into lane 1 if it's safe to do so - it is an effective give way.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Steve S
"I do appreciate that it's not much fun knowing you were in the right whilst lying in a hospital bed,"

Or on your tombstone. I didn't see anyone argue that it was Give Way. I did see some sensible advice about approaching a slip road.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Nsar
Wally, you don't stop at the "end" of the slip road!If, once you've accelerated you find you can't join the m/way at the appropriate speed, don't brake, you continue along the hard shoulder until it's safe to do so. Trying to get up to m/way speeds from a standing start into heavy traffic is going to cause no end of probs. It's exactly the same for re-joining the m/way from the hard shoulder. The number of clowns I see lurching into lane one at 5mph is amazing, probably something to do with being told so often that driving on the hard shoulder is wrong under any circs.
The number of clowns I see lurching into lane one at 5mph is amazing,

Nuff said!
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - slefLX
After reading this thread I now realise just how friendly the M57 is. It may be because it's such a short motorway but I'm regularly whizzing up and down this particular motorway and haven't witnessed any of this maniacal lunatic driving (maybe I should add 'so far'). Everything seems to just flow as it should with traffic moving to allow others onto the main carriageway off slip roads.

Even during the recent major roadworks co-operation seemed to be the order of the day and when drivers were unable to move across the lanes they were holding back enough and flashing their lights (I know it's wrong) to show others they were giving way for them. I haven't got very much experience of other maotorways but I find this one quite pleasant to travel along.

What rubbish, if you have a collision with a vehicle joining the motorway, the vehicle joining will always be given 100 % of the blame, I will enlarge on this when I get to my pc, using phone, it states that YOU MUST MERGE with traffic, that means you must either speed up, slow down or even STOP on the slip road if you CANNOT JOIN THE CARRIAGEWAY WITHOUT FORCING VEHICLES ALREADY ON THE CARRIAFEWAY TO CHANGE SPEED OR DIRECTION. It said exactly that in the old highway code but it has since been re worded for the watered down version you now have. But the onus remains yours to merge with traffic and not not not for traffic to merge with you. As far as planning your entry you should do it not halfway down as was suggested but as soon as you can see the carriageway, and by using the full length of the slip road if need be, I am always amazed how people stop on this slip road when they 300 or so yards left to run.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Starb

Totally agree, you do have the 'right'. That aside, other road users are not so well informed and, for want of a better term, are dimwits! Personally I don't pull over, especially when I am towing as i find that when you do, said dimwit, will accelerate away on the inside lane and leave you dangling in the second lane, trying to get back in!

The issue is either 'as above' or if I brake/ accelerate to let someone in and that causes an incident because they also braked or accelerated, who is to blame, me for ‘second guessing’ their move or them for not knowing what I might do? My point is, if I did what I was doing, ie minding my own driving, speed and position, and so let them work it out (as they should) then all should be OK (except for the dimwits).

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Manatee

Zombie thread from 14 years ago, but nothing changes.

Joining the A1 southbound yesterday from the A428 there was a car belting down lane 1 (70+ I guessed) so I lifted off to let my car slow so as to get in behind him. No sign of him moving over.

He must have lifted at the same time.. If there was a flash of headlights, I didn't see it. By the time I realised that he wasn't getting any nearer, he had nearly run me out of road, so at the point of no return I put the foot to the floor and away.

There was nothing in lane 2.

I thought I was pretty good at this, I never push in and have never had to stop except when the major road has been very slow and congested. But it can still go wrong.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Mike H

Zombie thread from 14 years ago, but nothing changes.

Must be a bit of a record though!!

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - jud
When joining a motorway you should (on the slip road)accelerate up to the speed of the traffic you intend to merge with. Adjust your speed to merge as required, i.e. brake or accelerate. And if still unable to safely join, either stop or run onto the hard shoulder.
This is as i see it, unfortunately some drivers think otherwise.
I guess if a car on the slip road were to side swipe a car on the motorway, the outcome insurance wise would depend on the testimony of the two drivers, and any witness accounts if needed. A driver lying to the insurance company or doing a runner is not uncommon.

What I *really* hate is arrogant so and so's who shoot down the slip road behind me, and then position themselves between me and the motorway, forcing me onto the hard shoulder (assuming there is one).
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - JamesH
There are many people in their own world on the motorway, refusing to acknowledge anyone else.

There's usually a thread on the go criticising those in lane 2 not moving into an empty lane 1. Here it's the other way around!
To be fair to him HJ, he doesn't normally come across like that in his posts.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Flat in Fifth
To be fair to him HJ, he doesn't normally come across
like that in his posts.

Quite... someone had a bad hair day?

And of course if the motorway is jammed or <5mph, eg M6/M5 junction and vicinity then sometimes traffic does have to come to a stop.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Fullchat
Sorry I've got to go with Wally on this one. A driver must not perform any manouvre that would cause another road user to alter course or speed.
It is NOT up to the Motorway user to Give Way to the vehicle entering from the slip road. The vehicle entering the Motorway must must match its speed to that of the traffic and filter into the traffic. If there is not a gap then they must stop. It has become historical and a matter of courtesy ( something we seem to see little of these days!) that switched on drivers on the Motorway will observe the vehicle on the slip road and traffic conditions permitting move into lane 2 to facilitate a safe entry onto the Motorway.
Should the vehicle on the Motorway be unable to move into lane 2 due to traffic volume then a slight reduction in speed through acceleration sense may also facilitate the other vehicle entering the Motorway.
Motorway users do not have to Give Way to vehicles entering on the slip road.
Nor would I condone driving on the hard shoulder.
Full Chat, I agree with you on what driver's should and shouldn't do. Unfortunately the reality is that we all face motorists that ignore the rules and will either "force" their way on or are simply unaware of their surroundings. It's not right, but it is the reality of motoring in the UK today.

In these all too common circumstances, as described at the beginning of the post, it is incumbent on other road users to avoid an accident, NOT act as self-appointed law enforcers. By putting the blinkers on with a "they shouldn't be there so I shall drive as if they are not" attitude, they are increasing risk.

As I've already mentioned, it ain't nice to be "beaten" by some no-good breaking the law like that, but it keeps you out of hospital if you take appropriate, well thought out avoiding action.

We aren't in the jungle any more and the individual who carves you up isn't going to beat you to the hunt and steal your meal (although that in essence is the thought process of life's more aggressive drivers). If it helps, call them every rude name under the sun in your head, but for goodness sake don't assume that trying to impose the rules of the road on another in this physical context will make you "right" and them "wrong". As previously posted, the Police would be more than happy to prosecute you if you were involved in an accident and had "right of way" and an acceptable escape route and chose to stick rigidly to the former.
No Dosh

Totally agree with what you are saying. "Drive to Survive". Anticipation. reaction and avoidance are the hallmarks of a careful and competent driver. Pig arrogance and selfish bullying are not. A good driver entering the motorway would be planning the manouvre and adjusting speed to find that slot. They should not commit until they had some movement indication or reaction from the vehicle/s on the motorway. Blandly forcing their way on in my mind is reckless.
I am not so sure about your ascertion that a driver could be prosecuted for not pulling over when they do not have to and its not a legal requirement to do so. If I can use an example of a car pulling out of a Give Way junction when the car on the main road could have stopped/slowed down. They dont have to but it is in their interest to. 'Driving without consideration for other road users' - may be, but its the lesser of all the driving offences.
DVD come on I would welcome your thoughts it lonely out here!
I am not so sure about your ascertion that a driver
could be prosecuted for not pulling over when they do not
have to and its not a legal requirement to do so.
If I can use an example of a car pulling out
of a Give Way junction when the car on the main
road could have stopped/slowed down. They dont have to but it
is in their interest to. 'Driving without consideration for other road
users' - may be, but its the lesser of all the
driving offences.
DVD come on I would welcome your thoughts it lonely out
here!

You're right that it would probably be a lesser offence, but it still hurts....
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Bromptonaut
leif wrote
What I *really* hate is arrogant so and so's who shoot
down the slip road behind me, and then position themselves between
me and the motorway, forcing me onto the hard shoulder (assuming
there is one).

This happens to me fairly often joining the dualled A5 at Milton Keynes (Portway). I normally avoid blocking 'cos it just makes them worse, but if the risk is being forced off a road with no hard shoulder I'm happy to straddle the centre line of the slip.
Just a thought on the term "right of way". In another post it (and not in this context) it was pointed out that with rights come responsibilities. Sums it up rather nicely.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - wemyss
The emphasis in this discussion concentrates on motorways but there are the same slip roads on most major roads and they don?t have the same facilities for gaining access in many cases.
Adjust your speed to the same as the motorway traffic and filter in sounds fine in theory and if you can?t get in either stop or carry on down the hard shoulder!!!!.
Take the A50 which in one case is an uphill entrance. You would need a very powerful car to reach compatible speed and then you have the problem where there is no hard shoulder if no-one lets you in.
I believe the responsibility rests with both the main road driver to assist traffic entering the main road and the vehicles entering same to make it easy.
After all we are one and the same as we all have to do it.
If we all adopted the selfish route of I?m on the main road and I have right of way traffic would be backing up on the slip road.
With the density of traffic nowadays we must all give way irrespective of who has the right of way whether it be a slip road on to a motorway or at a junction in a normal busy town.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Kevin
HJ, give Wally a break...

He is absolutely correct. Highway Code Para 158 (in my version) is explicit:

"When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip-road). You MUST give way to traffic already on the motorway."

Although it may be good manners for a driver in lane one to move over or adjust his speed to allow another vehicle to merge from the sliproad... there is no obligation for him to do so.

Kevin...

PS.
Can anyone tell me where to obtain a copy of the 'Basingstoke Ammendment to the Highway Code'
This is the section in full from the code.

"Joining the motorway

When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and adjust your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes
Stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
Remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking."

The obvious point to make is that it doesn't advise on what to do about joining solid traffic. My view is that you shouldn't rely in that 1 to 2 second window as you get to the end of the slip road on anyone letting you out either by letting a gap open or by moving out, but stopping dead at the end of the slip and then trying to accelerate like mad creates two separate risks of being rear-ended on the slip and possibly being shunted into lane 1 meanwhile flooring it into moving traffic will probably cause someone to brake sharply and/or move into lane 2 sharply. The law allows you to use the hard shoulder to gain speed relative to lane one before re-enterig lane one. Doing this gives everyone more time to adjust, your predicament is more visible to everyone without being threatening to anyone and carries no additional risk.
I think it might be time to defend myself. The question was...

After a couple of 'incidents' this morning, I was left wondering where the responsibility lies for the safe merging of traffic joining a busy motorway

As mentioned elsewhere within this thread, the highway code states that a driver joining a motorway may have to come to a halt.
I also think that if someone came down a slip road and found they couldn't join and then proceeded up the hard shoulder, PC Plod would be after him/her in a flash. The hard shoulder is for emergencies only, and I hardly think joining heavy traffic is deemed to be an emergency.

I'm not saying that I don't give way to joining traffic, its just that I know I don't HAVE to. It is courteous and nine times out of ten very easy to move over and let someone join.
What annoys me is when someone throws a tantrum and goes loopy because you wern't able to move over for them. How dare you stop them from joining the motorway!

On a lighter note - What model BMW was it that was doing 125mph at the end of a slip road, and how long was said slip road. I drive a rather fast Audi (0 to 60 in under 6 secs), but it still takes a rather long piece of road to hit that sort of speed.

Wally, completely agree with you, i had the same happen to me twice, both time women drivers.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Oz
Pleased to see all the references in this thread confirming that the obligation is on the joining driver to wait until safe to join, and that the right of way belongs to the traffic already on the motorway. I was beginning to think I had missed something.
Oz (as was)
Can't tell you what model BMW it was as I was scared witless taking avoiding action. All I can say it was one of the big powerful ones.
For some reason I can't find them on the Highway Code website, but don't the signs on the approach to a sliproad mean something like 'roads merge with equal priority?' On other words the ones that look like:

/
/|

|
|\

(Sorry for dodgy ASCII art)

However, this seems to contradict the quoted passages from the highway code...

IMO, it'd be more sensible to insist that both traffic flows make room for the other were possible without going out of their way. It annoys me when people sit outside you in the second lane only crawling past when they can see someone wanting to join and that you'd like to pull out to give them room.
It annoys me when people sit outside you in
the second lane only crawling past when they can see someone
wanting to join and that you'd like to pull out to
give them room.

But they can't see this situation!!! That's the problem! That's three things for their tiny minds to deal with all at the same time! Some of these people have white knuckles from gripping the steering wheel so tightly because the very notion of motorway driving terrifies them.
The ASCII art hasn't come out at all for some reason - been stripped seemingly on posting.

Anyway, these signs are a vertical line with an angled line joining it from the left on the motorway itself, and a vertical line which joins a (longer) angled line on the slip road - I'm sure you know what I mean!
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - LHM
Thanks, everyone, for your comments - it appears that I'm not alone in my quandary over the rights and wrongs on this point!!

As with many other aspects of 'practical' driving, it's sometimes hard to reconcile the advice given in the Highway Code with the realities of UK roads - including the psyches of the drivers which use them.

As I mentioned, I do try to ease the task of joining traffic by slight throttle adjustment, but it becomes a bit 'hairy' when there's a steady stream of nose-to-tail joining traffic, a 38-tonner radiator badge filling your rear-view mirror - and no way over to lane 2........ :-(

Other posters have mentioned a driver's 'right of way' - an emotive subject in its own right - but it's a sad fact that many drivers have died with the satisfaction of knowing that they had right of way.

I'll continue to do my best at motorway junctions, but will still wonder about the legal implications should a collision occur.

On the subject of the Highway Code, the only advice which really sticks in my mind concerns the use of unmanned level crossings - I think it ends with the comment, "always 'give way' to trains." Sound advice, if ever there was!!

Thanks again for all your 'food for thought'.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Jon

The people that annoy me on Motorway slip roads are those that join and then immediately move into lane 2 or 3 regardless of their speed or the speed of the other traffic.

It's as if these people (usually driving large German exec cars) feel too important to use the inside lane for any longer than necessary.

Jon
Ah well they need to get into their special reserved lane immediately.
Wondered how long it would take before the "left lane, middle lane, beemer lane" thing came along.

Audi. The thinking man's BMW
Mercedes. The old man's BMW
Alfa Romeo. The foolish man's BMW

Well, they say a fool and his money are soon parted. Wonder where I got the inspiration for my Back-Room name?
A'm thinking about what to say about this.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Alfafan {P}
How about:

BMW: the Boy Racers' BMW
I should add that these are common perceptions, not my personal views. Especially as I'm one of the foolish ones..... Allegedly
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - eMBe {P}
Godfrey H - I fully accept your right to have the views I describe as "politics of envy". There is one question I have for you: How did you measure the BMW to be doing 125mph?
Very effective these Nomex suits!
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - dave18
I don't see the harm in traffic moving from lane one to lane two. If that traffic cannot or will not do so, this should be obvious to the person using the slip road, in which case surely the accelerator is a marvellous invention. My grandad idles onto the motorway at 50 and it can be terrifying.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - kithmo
I am totally amazed that some people consider moving over to the middle lane as an option to give way to vehicles joining the motorway. As stated here it is the responsibility of the vehicle on the slip road to adjust their speed and position, NOT the vehicles on the motorway. Many a time I have been about to overtake cars approaching an adjoining slip road when they pull out to give way to joining traffic causing me to have to slow down, due to not being able to pull into the third lane, or causing me to have to change lanes if clear. The best policy when traffic is coming down a slip road to join, when you are in the first lane is to keep a constant speed so that they can adjust theirs. Don't try to speed up to get past before them, they may be speeding up to adjust their speed to yours. Also don't slow down to let them in, as they may be slowing down to adjust their speed, just keep a constant speed.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Wales Forester
Try staying in lane one and keeping at the same speed and see how long it is before you're involved in an accident! It'll not be long before you come a cropper.
If there is nothing in lane two you should move into it, if you're having to 'avoid' people then you're not planning ahead enough.
If I'm joining and the person in lane one doesn't move over when they are able to do so safely then they're due some abuse I'm afraid.
That's just downright disregard and selfishness.
Cars on the slip road must give way to cars on the motorway. That said, it is courteous and sensible for cars in lane 1 to assist those wishing to join, by ensuring a gap before or after, or moving to lane 2 if it does not cause undue stress to cars already in lane 2. Blimey this really is stating the bleeding obvious isn't it. As stated by numerous people in this thread before me.

No cars in lane 2 that don't move over when they can are not due some abuse. They might be discourteous and selfish but that does not merit abuse. And what might abuse be?

After all they might not have noticed that a slip road is coming up. Maybe Just A Minute is on the radio and Paul Merton is getting up a good head of steam. Very distracting. Hardly safe driving to be unaware but it happens to us all at some time and not worthy of abuse. (It does not happen often to me but I have oonce or twice been caught unawares.)
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - lezer
>If I'm joining and the person in lane one doesn't move over when they are able to do so safely then they're due some abuse Im afraid.

How do you know it is safe for driver in lane one to move over? It is not always posible for you to look back down two lanes of traffic and look where you are going all at the same time!!
If you hurl abuse at people then you won't have to mind getting it back, or is this the start of road rage??
Let's just think for a moment about the basic rules you apply when taking these theory tests:
That you cannot force, request or invite any other road user to do anything. You can merely warn them of your presence.
It should be down to each individual road user to observe what is happening and to behave accordingly. And just because someone else doesn't behave in the way you think they should behave, doesn't make it OK to give them any sort of "abuse" at all.
How do we manage to reach 66 posts on a subject that I[1], for one, have never had a problem with?

[1] I, who drive in excess of 40,000 motorway miles a year, the length and breadth of the UK, not always on familiar stretches of road.
If you're seriously saying you have NEVER had a problem with someone not allowing you to join from a slipraod when they are able to, even though you've done your level best to match the carriageway speed, then I'm afraid DTD that either
a) all of your 40,000 miles have been at night or
b) you're a liar!

Maybe the case is that you yourself have actually caused other vehicles problems by joining and you're just not aware?
Sorry to tar all taxi drivers with the same brush.
If you're seriously saying you have NEVER had a problem with
someone not allowing you to join from a slipraod when they
are able to, even though you've done your level best to
match the carriageway speed, then I'm afraid DTD that either
a) all of your 40,000 miles have been at night or
b) you're a liar!
Maybe the case is that you yourself have actually caused other
vehicles problems by joining and you're just not aware?

I'm not saying that I've never been obstructed by another motorist when they didn't have to, I'm saying that I've never had that situation escalate into a problem. As soon as you can see the traffic on the motorway you have the choice of half a dozen different places to slot into the traffic seamlessly. I fail to see how any motorist can find themself in a situation where they need to stop hard at the end of a sliproad when the traffic is flowing quickly, unless they lack either rudimentary skill or basic confidence in their abilities.
I'm not saying that I've never been obstructed by another motorist
when they didn't have to, I'm saying that I've never had
that situation escalate into a problem. As soon as you can
see the traffic on the motorway you have the choice of
half a dozen different places to slot into the traffic seamlessly.
I fail to see how any motorist can find themself in
a situation where they need to stop hard at the end
of a sliproad when the traffic is flowing quickly, unless they
lack either rudimentary skill or basic confidence in their abilities.

I think we've all got a different view of what we perceive to be a problem and what we perceive to be bad/inconsiderate driving.

I agree wholeheartedly with your logic DTD, but in reality situations do arise where the joining drivers put themselves in the perfect position only to be snookered by some numpty in lane one who is too busy trying to balance his cup of coffee without dropping his mobile phone, whilst picking a CD from the glovebox! ;-)
How do you know it is safe for driver in lane one to move over?

This is simple, by watching what is going on on the motorway whilst travelling along the sliproad, then by using my mirrors and my ability to turn my head to the right. There are few occasions where it is not possible to see whether the vehicle/s in lane one are able to move over safely.

There are too many people discussing this with the view that they don't HAVE to move over by law therefore they'll be pig headed and not do so.
I'm afraid that it is these people who will inevitably contribute to an accident with their selfishness and disregard for others on the road.

As for the abuse, maybe I should have chosen a better word, but these drivers deserve everything they get.

Driving, especially on the motorway, is all about planning ahead, if you don't plan ahead and watch what's going on around you then sooner or later you're going to end up being moved into lane two forcibly or at the very least you'll find yourself taking evasive action in a situation that has benn all of your own making.

Wake up and smell the reality folks.
There are too many people discussing this with the view that they don't HAVE to move over by law therefore they'll be pig headed and not do so.

PP: I don't read the above from preceding postings. Most people seem to be saying pretty much the same thing. It is very rare that I am blocked from entering the motorway. I usually position myself well in advance to fit in to traffic (assuming a view of the motorway). My main problem, which I had again today, is the huddle of cars moving from slip road to lane 3 as fast as they can, regardless of the risks they take. It is usually possible to position oneself to keep a good distance from the 'scrum'. Oops, rugbys started again ...
I am totally amazed that some people consider moving over to
the middle lane as an option to give way to vehicles
joining the motorway.

It's this sort of attitude that makes driving so unpleasant these days. Why shouldn't you have a bit of consideration for fellow road users now and again? Of course you shouldn't pull out if it's going to cause an incident but if the middle lane is clear and / or the vehicles joining are going a fair bit slower than yours then why not?

That said, after spending 10 minutes waiting to cross over a major road yesterday but being constantly blocked in by cars stuck in a traffic jam on said road, it appears courtesy amongst drivers is now at an all-time low.

How's about thinking now and again and making life easier for others - I'm sure you'd appreciate them doing it for you.
Wise words Steve.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Dwight Van Driver
Badger settled back and let his favourite armchair envelope him. Taking a sip from his glass of wine he let out a long drawn aaarhhh of appreciation. "This Tesco's own label at 13% proof and under three quid a bottle is a bargain and as good as some that you would pay a fiver for. Now Mole, what's your problem today?" he asked benevolently.

"Motorways, Badge, joining them, seems a problem out there" pipped Mole from under his chair for he had sipped deep of the same vin rouge.

Badger dropped his head, looked over his glasses at Mole and began, " Motorways have a main carriageway which is accessable by a slip road which is also part of the Motorway but is secondary carriageway to the main carriageway itself. The junction of the slip road with the main carriageway is white lined marked with a sign No 1003 under the Traffic Signs and General Directions, of which I have spoken before. "

"Why are signs important Badge?" asked Mole lifting his glass to his mouth, missing and pouring wine down his front and all over his tie..

"Signs,Mole, are the language of the road and should be understood. This white lines indicates that you should not pass over it if it would cause another on the main carriageway to reduce speed or swerve." replied Badger looking worried at Mole but adding more to his glass.

"Sluppose the main carriageway is chocker then does he schtop or can he whizz up the hard sholder, hic" queried Mole sucking his tie after another miss with his glass.

Somewhat annoyed Badger retorted, " That friendly Plod Mid Life Crises has published his thesis on how to join the main stream carriageway backed by the advice in the Highway Code and he is right. Whilst under The Motorways Traffic (England and Wales) Regulations 1982 you commit an offence if you stop on a carriageway of a Motorway unless of course you are prevented from moving by another vehicle or object. Likewise, it is an offence for a vehicle to be driven or to stop on the hardshoulder unless in the case of breakdown , accident, illness or other emergency, or stopped to allow someone to remove an object off the carriageway, or to give help to anyone stopped for these reasons. There should be no need to stop unless in very heavy traffic or use the hard shoulder as an extra to the slip road as traffic on the main carriageway will be leaving a gap in front of them for another vehicle to overtake and slot in if required. By judging the gap when coming down the slip road and adjusting speed then one should be able to slot it. Good drivers on the main carriageway whuilst not required to do so by law ,showing consideration will similarly adjust their speed to allow this or if traffic conditions allow move over to the centre lane. A little bit of give and take by all and there should be no problem"

"Wotiff Moatyways merge" slurred Mole rapidly, leaning forward , shaking his head like a noddy dog at Badger and spilling more wine in the process.

"I think you will find it that case, as the carriageways have equal importance, Sign will not be present but lanes will gradually reduce to three over some distance. Now what ARE you doing on the floor Mole"

"Know Badge, that's potent stuff" declared Mole, legs in the air and a glazed look in his eye, " under different circum, circumcircumstances I would ask Mid Life to put Toad down on PNC as a Misper and circulkate on an All Ports Warning but I will leave it as I am terribly, terribly drunk."
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Dwight Van Driver
PS.

Tesco's Cotes De Rhone - white label red letters, red band if anyone interested.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

DVD
Good effort DVD! I knew you would come to my aid. You make it sound so easy.
"There should be no need to stop unless in very heavy traffic or use the hard shoulder as an extra to the slip road as traffic on the main carriageway will be leaving a gap in front of them for another vehicle to overtake and slot in if required. By judging the gap when coming down the slip road and adjusting speed then one should be able to slot it."

Top post DVD, but.....it's all about ifs, shoulds and maybes. This is mammoth thread is about real life when lanes are full of divvies who can't/won't take others into consideration and the outcomes of trying to impose your will on others (whether you're joining the m/way or in lane 1). In that situation, take the heat out of it, don't spend that vital 2 seconds between appearing at the business end of the slip road and actually reaching the white line in checking yor mirror for possible rear end shunters, assessing whether the vehicles you're trying to squeeze between are generous souls or that other type of *****ole and deciding whether to come to a dead stop and then worry about how you're going to get out of that nasty little problem or whether you're going to choose your metre of space and force your way in. Would a maths expert care to suggest how much of the slip road you cover in that 2 seconds at say 60mph? Be visible and obvious but unthreatening in your intentions and don't get into a high pressure, all or nothing situation at the end of the slip road that can only be solved by either you imposing your will on another driver or relying on another driver to be charitable towards you. If the choice is between following the letter of the law as regards using the hard shoulder and breaking the law by using the hard shoulder for perhaps 100 metres in order to reduce risk to myself and others in a volatile situation, then I'll go for safety every time and I'm prepared to bet that plod will see it for the common sense that it is - what would he prefer to do, issue a fine for a minor transgression or clean up a smash on a busy m/way?
I do about 15K per year and in the last 5 years I have twice had to continue from the slip road onto the hard shoulder. On one occasion a powerful Beamer came from behind and sat between me and the motorway blocking my route. I had no alternative but to use the hard shoulder for 100m or so. I judged stopping on the slip road to be too dangerous. On the other occasion a long line of lorries with almost no space between each blocked my entrance and I judged it too dangerous to nose in. I eventually had to nose my way in only to be intimidated, tailgated, hooted and flashed repeatedly by a lorry. Mind you this has not happened for a year or two (touch wood) so maybe my forward observation and anticipation skills are getting better?
53.64 metres in two seconds at 60mph.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Flat in Fifth
"On one occasion a powerful Beamer came from behind and sat between me and the motorway blocking my route."

Leif, I used to have trouble with these jokers, who overtake everything on the slip road, then sit alongside you and "nick" your carefully planned target space.

The way I've tended to avoid this is to anticipate the situation developing and try and occupy command position in lane two of the slip road myself but not infringe on the space for vehicles ahead.

Unfortunately this doesn't stop the reverse, ie someone positioning themselves on the alongside on one's left on the slip. Of course as soon as you've merged into lane 1 M-way proper then there they are "demanding" to be let out.

On one particularly bad junction afraid I just straddle the white line down the slip thereby occupying both lanes, selfish and wrong I know, but it seems to work in keeping that space.

Even the thrusting reps in Lagunas get the meesage.

The way I've tended to avoid this is to anticipate the situation developing and try and occupy command position in lane two of the slip road myself but not infringe on the space for vehicles ahead.
FIF: Sound advice. Actually this method of positioning the car to prevent others performing an ill-advised manouevre is exactly what I am looking to learn/improve. I'm hoping Ripley's book covers this sort of stuff. I don't think Roadcraft does.
News about Toad - Flat in Fifth
"I would ask Mid Life to put Toad down on PNC as a Misper and circulkate on an All Ports Warning

I have it on good authority that Toad is alive and well having been kissed by a flying princess [1] and is now.....

" Prince:- the artist formerly known as Toad"

[1] not that Toad would be boastful about such matters in any way but it seems that he is prevented by reactionary forces from sharing his good news with the rest of the riverbank at large.

News about Toad - Dwight Van Driver
FiF
it seems that he is prevented by reactionary forces from sharing his good news with the rest of the riverbank at large>>

in which case under the Human Rights Act it would appear he has a good case for claiming Asylum.

Because I am tyred, can you indicate and steer me to the engine room where this can be sorted?

DVD
(60 secs?)

Pushy joiners. - M.M
In all my decades of driving I've never used the hard shoulder as a run-off. Also only come to a halt once and that was the other day behind "someone driving something" who stopped suddenly because they couldn't judge the gap.

Comming to a halt isn't ideal but using the hard shoulder is admission that you got it all badly wrong (sorry Leif). Doing this there is every chance of confusing the traffic on the carriageway leading to an accident...or running into the rear of a broken down vehicle that you'd not noticed.

As for being snookered by some numpty in lane one who is too busy trying to balance his cup of coffee without dropping his mobile phone, whilst picking a CD from the glovebox!"...well again that can only happen if you get it wrong by joining in a manner that means the driver with the right of way *has* to deviate.

Accept an offer with good grace by all means but never assume.

MM

Pushy joiners. - Obsolete
Comming to a halt isn't ideal but using the hard shoulder is admission that you got it all badly wrong (sorry Leif).

For the most part I agree with you. Most of the time if a driver gets into trouble it could have been avoided by forward observation. As I have said elsewhere, I am surprised how few incidents (if any) I have these days and how many potential incidents I manage to avoid by guessing what matey might do. I guess this is a mixture of learning from experience and from Ripley etc.
Pushy joiners. - M.M
Yes Leif...Forward observation and defensive* driving.

*As opposed to the offensive style which relies so much on others allowing your *right* to free passage.

MM
Pushy joiners. - Obsolete
LOL. Yes, defensive driving is what I (try) to practice. I do wish that such things were mentioned when I 'learnt' to drive. Although I have never had an accident (ignoring a couple of times when someone shunted me) it might have made driving more fun.
News about Toad - Flat in Fifth
Now then Obi Wan DVDobi,

Despite also being tyred and emotional due to excesses of gardening and Tesco's Cotes de Rhone [1] reckon can manage to help here. So you want me to indicate and steer you in the right direction. An honour indeed! Let me offer you the system.

1) Mirror - all appears clear, Darth Vader and the Storm Trooper's reactions slow tonight.

2) Signal - no one to gain advantage from the signal so........

3) Manoeuvre - Concentrate Obi Wan you will find that the way will become clear.... May the Force be with you!

[1] good steer the other day before the unwashed hordes descend on Tessies. Thanks.
News about Toad - doug_523i
If the user of the slip road gives way, in heavy traffic, then they could end up stopped at the end of the sliproad, with no opportunity to get up to speed to join the motorway, and Mr BMW is approaching down the sliproad at 125mph thinking you are moving, scary. I've often thought a short fourth lane is needed at junctions, like where the M57 joins the M62 heading east, it's especially handy for hgv drivers as it's an uphill stretch at that junction.
'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - TheGentlemanThug

If a driver in the inside lane can change lane in a safe and reasonable manner then they should and insurers and the courts will consider them to be in the wrong if they don't. If that driver can't change lane then it's up to the other driver to merge with the traffic or give way if they can't. The dotted lines are there for a reason.

It really is that simple but hardly anyone seems to acknowledge it out on the road.

If a driver in the inside lane can change lane in a safe and reasonable manner then they should and insurers and the courts will consider them to be in the wrong if they don't. If that driver can't change lane then it's up to the other driver to merge with the traffic or give way if they can't. The dotted lines are there for a reason.

It really is that simple but hardly anyone seems to acknowledge it out on the road.

There's an absolute requirement on the driver on the slip-road to give way to traffic already on the motorway/dual carriageway.

A driver on a slip road cannot know whether it's safe for a driver in lane 1 to move over - for instance there may be a fast car overtaking but can't be seen by the driver on the slip road

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Smileyman

There's an absolute requirement on the driver on the slip-road to give way to traffic already on the motorway/dual carriageway.

A driver on a slip road cannot know whether it's safe for a driver in lane 1 to move over - for instance there may be a fast car overtaking but can't be seen by the driver on the slip road

Totally agree however far too many motorists join on slip roads and (by their behaviour) EXPECT the vehicle in lane 1 to make space for them, it's not polite it's dangerous, the number of times I have to brake in lane 2 because a kindly motorist has moved from lane 1 without considering oncoming vehicles on lane 2 ... can be counted on two hands and feet too! (and often they are driving at HGV speed which only enhances the danger ....)

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Wackyracer

Recently a chap I know had a woman come down the slip road to merge and drove straight into the side of his lorry, the first thing she said to him is "didn't you see me", "you were going too fast". totally ignorant of the fact that she is in the wrong and that it is her responsibility to give way to traffic on the main carriageway. Roll on compulsory retesting...

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - carl233

Clearly vehicles joining the main carriageway should be giving way however there are key exceptions that must be abided to at all times:

If the vehicle joining is a late registration BMW or Audi then it may bully vehicles to move over to lane two and simply enter the carriageway, it is permitted to flash lights and intimidate other road users as required to ensure it is not held up for any additional length of time. When the 'premium' and 'executive' vehicle enters the carriageway it would then be expected to undertake the vehicle that has moved over to lane two using a thoughtless residue of speed and arrogance.

As the late registration BMW or Audi would likely be suffering significant depreciation every second counts to preserve the value of the depreciating asset so this behaviour can be fully justified and is socially acceptable. There are also additional exemptions for drivers that might be in an extra hurry to sign up for their next PCP deal to secure a good value 'executive' motor vehicle.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Bianconeri

Recently a chap I know had a woman come down the slip road to merge and drove straight into the side of his lorry, the first thing she said to him is "didn't you see me", "you were going too fast". totally ignorant of the fact that she is in the wrong and that it is her responsibility to give way to traffic on the main carriageway. Roll on compulsory retesting...

It's a potentially lethal mixture of sense of entitlement, lack of knowledge, and poor driving skills. Having been shouted at (in the convertible, top down, so heard perfectly) for stopping at a red light because 'they've only just gone red' by the stereotype 40s 'blonde' in the blinged up X5 recently very little surprises me on our roads.

In absolute terms, yes, but if the driver on the carriageway CAN move to another lane and doesn't, that driver may be considered to have been driving without due care and attention. They may not be at fault in the event of a collision, but they won't get away scott-free either.

In absolute terms, yes, but if the driver on the carriageway CAN move to another lane and doesn't, that driver may be considered to have been driving without due care and attention. They may not be at fault in the event of a collision, but they won't get away scott-free either.

I seriously doubt that.

The Highway Code says nothing about moving over, not even as 'advice' let alone obligation. Roadcraft says

"If you are on the main carriageway, check your mirrors early and if possible allow traffic to join the motorway by making slight adjustments to your speed or changing to a lane on your right. However do not move to a lane on your right if it forces existing motorway users to change their speed or position. Ultimately it is the vehicle joining the motorway that should give way".

(my italics)

I do try to assist others to join, but moving over is potentially hazardous with other cars around, especially for the many less skilled drivers (none of us, obviously!), and changing speed needs a sensitive touch - it can lead to an "After you, Claude – no, After you Cecil", situation with the joiner stopped at the end of the slip road and both in danger of being rear ended.

The joiner is the one on the hook. The ones on the motorway are fireproof in liability terms unless they start getting too clever and cock it up.

Edited by Manatee on 24/08/2017 at 20:30

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Greybeard Eccosse
Should be signed as in New Zealand. "JOIN LIKE A ZIP" with both motorway and slip road signed

"Zip Merge" is only used where two lanes go into one WITHOUT priority.

I work on the principle that crossing any white lane on a road requires me to give way to those already in that lane - it's never slowed me up particularly!

When it's nose to tail crawling traffic on the motorway, most people have the wit to do that anyway.

That's my point.

If the driver on the carriageway CAN move to another lane and doesn't, then the driver on the slip road isn't entirely at fault.

Picture this; I'm joining a dual carriageway and see you in the inside lane. I can also see that the outside lane is completely clear of traffic. It's reasonable for me to expect that you'll move to the outside lane to allow me to join the carriageway, yet you don't. Your lack of diligence is putting both of us in a dangerous situation.

If you can't allow me to join the carriageway without compromising drivers already on the carriageway then the onus is on me.

As with a lot of things on the road, it's entirely circumstantial.

Edited by Bicycle_Repair_Man on 25/08/2017 at 10:08

That's my point.

If the driver on the carriageway CAN move to another lane and doesn't, then the driver on the slip road isn't entirely at fault.

Picture this; I'm joining a dual carriageway and see you in the inside lane. I can also see that the outside lane is completely clear of traffic. It's reasonable for me to expect that you'll move to the outside lane to allow me to join the carriageway, yet you don't. Your lack of diligence is putting both of us in a dangerous situation.

As with most things on the road, this subject is entirely circumstantial.

Yes - they are entirely at fault.

Your "expectation" leads to the dangerous situation - it's incumbent on all drivers to "expect the unexpected", that's the safest way.

Since the driver on the slip road cannot see whether it's safe for the driver in lane 1 to move over, then they should not have any expectations.

Courtesy is about one driver giving to another, not the other demanding it

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Wackyracer

That's my point.

I would say the person joining is putting themself and others in danger. Judging on how many bad drivers I see each day, I wouldn't trust them to tie a shoe lace properly so I'm certainly not going to pull out in front of them and trust them to do something that puts my life in danger.

Your 'picture' sounds like the arrogance that we see everyday on the roads, people forcing their way onto the major roads and to hell with whomever should be there.

On the occasions when I do move to the second lane to let people onto the main carriageway half of them are the kind of dingleberries that then mantain the same speed as me making it difficult for me to either overtake (limiter is 56mph) or pull back in behind them as they tend to start slowing at the same rate as I do, that goes for some HGV drivers too.

The onus is always on the joining driver. Common sense, and neither Roadcraft or the HC suggest otherwise.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Avant

Exactly, Manatee! That's all that needs to be said on the subject: I'm amazed that it's generated over 100 posts.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Bilboman

There are several factors at play here which make slip-road merging unnecessarily scary and some of these have solutions...
1.No motorway training as part of the driving test. People get onto the motorway, experience it (or not) for a few miles/months/years and eventually make up their own minds how it should be done. Solution apparently on its way sometime in the next ten years. Watch this space.
2. Growth of internet shopping leads to more and more white van men, most of whom have a basic car licence (see 1. above)
3. CCTV surveillance has replaced traffic police patrols to such an extent that deliberately selfish, dangerous drivers simply do not care about the consequences of their actions; CCTV obviously unable to detect drunk/drugged-up drivers...
4. Highest density of motorway traffic in Europe, if not the world, with pathetically low levels of investment in alternatives compared to other countries. Too many vehicles, too many drivers.
5. British obsession with notions of courtesy and "fair play" to the detriment of road safety considerations. Headlamp flashing almost universally used as an "after you"; whilst a headlamp flash or toot of the horn in its proper meaning (to warn of danger) is invariably taken as an insult, reproach or challenge. Zip-merging impossible to implement because of irrational fear of letting a Johnny-come-lately gain some metres of advantage (neither cut in nor allow others to do so. Ever.)
6. Modern day distractions of powerful audio (and video!) systems, touch screens, satnav and the like (and that's just the "legal" ones!), plus ever better sound deadening, so that a driver often cannot see or hear another driver at a critical moment. (see 2. above)
7. Modern car design (the ubiquitous SUV and its blind spots; ever thicker A pillars) actually makes it harder to see other vehicles and it's only going to get worse. (also proliferation of white vans - see 2. above)
HOWEVER... all these LHD foreign trucks on our roads are actually a plus, ironically enough, as the driver is closer to the merging traffic and in my own experience is more likely to slow down to make space for merging traffic.

Edited by Bilboman on 20/02/2018 at 14:07

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - gordonbennet

The most amusing driving i find is slip road users incapable of noticing any vehicles already in the road they wish to join, adjusting their speed or position to join smoothly does not compute.

They are quite capable of travelling to the end of an acceleration lane beside a full sized artic doing 53mph leaving a gap of some 200yards in front, yet said car often sporting more than 200hp cannot manage to accelerate ot smoothy join ahead of lorry, lorry unable to move out due to other traffic.

Car then gets to end of slip road and has to brake,blinkered driver then get the hump and finds all 240hp to whizz up and overtake said lorry and give the driver a odd hand signal (hopefully not idiot enough to then brake test a 44 tonner to 'teach him a lesson', and yes they do this, Darwinism in its purest form), before vanishing at full power off down the road.

Is it me?

I once had a hgv driver try to force there way onto the motorway while a motorbike was overtaking me, they had to slam their brakes on. It is irrelevant that lane 2 is empty and in no way does it give you right of way over the vehicle in lane 1.

If it was as empty as you said, you should have taken your brain out of neutral and either speed up to get in front. or if the vehicle was doing 70 ish then slowed down and came in behind it, then used the middle lane to overtake, this would have been the correct procedure for you.

I am always amazed at just how stupid, and i am sorry there is no other word for it, and I do not just mean car drivers, I drive a hgv and there is no way on earth a car can see through my box thing on the back to see if there is a vehicle alongside me, sometimes its even a bike but they still come out and refuse to stop, speed up or slow down to merge with truckers already on the carriageway.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Smileyman

when I saw this thread I saw 114 replies and decided "too many to read" ...now having skimmed through I realise that the thread is from 2003 and how few names I recognise, shame so many contributors have come and gone over the years.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Avant

It's in the nature of forums like this - people come and go. Sometimes they change their nom de clavier and so have been around longer than it looks.

Talking about names, what is the significance of the apostrophe in "30 yr's"?

Edited by Avant on 21/02/2018 at 12:06

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - FP

'... what is the significance of the apostrophe in "30 yr's"?'

Now, now, Avant. Rein in that pedantry, albeit obliquely expressed.

With our friend's generously worded and knowledgable contributions to the forum, one cannot expect perfection.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Mr Carrot Cake

I find most problems occur when people don't build up enough speed before they try to join. You need to match the speed of the vehicles already in the motorway or it causes problems.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - argybargy

Its not usually hard, in my experience. Use you mirrors, and look over your shoulder for the blind spot. Acknowledge if and when someone lets you join the motorway.

If, as has happened to me several times when joining the A55, the vehicle in the inside lane refuses to give way, you'll just have to slow right down and wait for that gap. Nothing to be gained by forcing your way on.

If, as has happened to me several times when joining the A55, the vehicle in the inside lane refuses to give way, you'll just have to slow right down and wait for that gap. Nothing to be gained by forcing your way on.

I might have the wrong end of the stick here, but why do you expect the vehicle in the inside lane to give way? If they can move out and they want to, fine.

It's a damn nuisance when people start slowing down to "help". All I want is a space, I'll do the rest.

As for the twerps who overtake others who are in the process of joining, or the ones who position themselves so as to block the over-the-shoulder/mirror view of the person in front of them - well I suppose we are are getting into very advanced driving for some people.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - Mr Carrot Cake

Slowing down a bit to make space is fine as long as the car joining has bothered to get up to speed. If they're going 15mph slower then it's just going to screw everyone up.

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - diddy1234

I havent bothered to read all of the posts but you wouldnt get prosecuted for using the hard shoulder to merge onto the motorway traffic if you were to run out of slip road.

I have had to a couple of times on a really short run on. one time with a police car behind me (who was also joinging the motorway in heavy traffic).

Stopping at the end of the sliproad to join a motorway works for no one and risks a shunt up the back side.

Edited by diddy1234 on 21/02/2018 at 21:59

'Give Way' at motorway slip roads - KJP 123

As a fairly new member, would it not be better to start a new thread rather than join on to one that is very old or very long unless it is particularly relevant.

NO. There are loads of examples on the good book ( highway code ), which give clear examples stating that you must give way to traffic from the right, UNLESS road signs say otherwise.

as such

The only time you have to give way on the carriageway is if there are traffic lights ( a406 nth circular meets a1 ) both duel carriageways, or where there is a give way sign or markings on the motorway carriageway. Unless either of those apply the standard rules of giving way to traffic from your right apply.

but

If you are dead being right or wrong makes no diff to you, try not to let yourself get bullied by hgv's by getting slightly in front of them but leaving some of your vehicle alongside, but safety has to come first, ..

if you have a dashcam then make a copy and send it to the company, if not take down the tel number of the company and reg and call the company direct, all companies now have websites so you can get there number of there if its not on the side of the vehicle, I am a hgv driver and I want these hgv idiots off the road as much if not more then you, because they are giving us good ones a bad name.

Ps Do not try and take down details if you are behind the wheel, get someone else in the car to do it for you, or find a safe place to pull over ( not the hard shoulder ) to jot it down before you forget.

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 03/03/2018 at 13:44

Pps companies are a lot more proactive in stopping bad drivers then the police often are.