Volkswagen Golf - Used car inspection - EDW2000

I am thinking about buying a used Golf Mk 5 petrol manual highish mileage.

3 owners part history, is it true that golf engines good for 150k if looked after and will VW dealer do a used car inspection - is one hour labour enough?

I want it on the ramp not an AA street inspection

anyone know of a site with known faults to check for like rust points etc?

thanks

Volkswagen Golf - Used car inspection - John Boy
anyone know of a site with known faults to check for like rust points etc?

Haven't you already found it?

If you disagree, go to Google and type "VW Golf Mk 5 problems" and see what comes up.

Volkswagen Golf - Used car inspection - RobJP

"Part service history" ...

Really ? are there that few Golfs out there that you HAVE to even consider something without a complete service history ?

I'll put it another way. Someone missed out on getting it serviced. Possible reasons :

1. Too busy. In which case, probably too busy to ever check oil level, etc.

2. Too poor. In which case, what other maintenance has been skipped too ?

3. Forgot / couldn't be bothered. In which case, couldn't be bothered doing other maintenance either, at a guess.

In any of those cases, buying a car that has done considerable mileage with missed maintenance is just asking for trouble

Volkswagen Golf - Used car inspection - sandy56

why would you bother ?

Volkswagen Golf - Used car inspection - Bracket

MK V Golfs are not hassle free. About the only thing you can do, apart from the usual checks is to buy from a VW dealer and make sure the car comes with the Das WeltAuto VW used car 12 month warranty.

That covered a blown turbo on my used Golf some years ago, but it was a fight with VW to get them to replace it.

Also stuff like 'full/partial service history' is meaningless; my Golf came with 'full FSH' from a VW dealer, but the servicing had been done by a High Street 'Quick' chain, not the VW dealer, hence VW's reticence in replacing the turbo.

High mileage cars are just that. Even if the engine is good the rest of the car has done the miles. Transmission, clutch, steering and suspension will have wear.

Aim to have enough in the bank to cover that after purchase.

Edited by Bracket on 06/08/2016 at 08:56

Volkswagen Golf - Used car inspection - hillman

Whatever you agree with the sales department ask for it in writing and read the writing through carefully. It might put a dampener on your sale, but save you a lot of grief.