Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 2007 - Coolant Loss and visible signs of puddles - mstar
Hello ALl,

I noticed at the bottom of my car some looked like blackish water residue. I checked the engine oil and i could not find any drop in engine oil compared to what is on the floor.

Then driving recently the car suddenly overheated above normal which is around half way. I quickly stopped and inspected and i noticed that the car had no coolant at all!!!
I luckily had some 1L water in the car i poured it all in waited around 30-45 mins and drove home around 5miles.

I got home and topped it home then took a long drive and came back and it was dark so i couldn't measure the loss. In the morning i came back and noticed it was low again i topped it up and i could see as i put water in the coolant tank:

1. Water dripping near the wheel looks directly under(ish) the coolant tank

2. Water dripping from the front slightly not by the gripp a bit more inwards the engine. Obviously i saw it dripping onto some oily parts but i couldnt see exact cause.

Is this a classic pipe perish issue or something deep rooted?

Please help i hope its not a expensive fix :( is there any inspection i can make sure its a pipe or more bigger like a radiator etc?

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 2007 - Coolant Loss and visible signs of puddles - Peter.N.
I would think the most likely problem is a leaking water pump which provided the engine hasn't boiled may be all that's needed, it does require removing the cam belt but I always fit a new on in that event anyway, not a very cheap job but not to expensive either.

The other alternatives are a leaking head gasket or possibly a failed thermostat causing the coolant to boil and be forced out of the filler cap/overflow but if its dripping underneath I think its most likely the water pump.
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 2007 - Coolant Loss and visible signs of puddles - elekie&a/c doctor
A 1.8 will be the old type Lynx engine where the water pump is driven by the poly v alternator belt.Fairly straightforward job,and the most likely source of leak on the drivers side.
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 2007 - Coolant Loss and visible signs of puddles - mstar
what i noticed if i top it up the temp is fine bang on where it normally is. So i am thinking all things are working correctly? COuld this still be the water pump OR a hose someone perished and leaking?

also where is the water pump in these cars?
Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 2007 - Coolant Loss and visible signs of puddles - elekie&a/c doctor
Take it to a garage and let them pressure test the cooling system.Can,t fix cars by guesswork.