Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - Femke
I'm thinking of buying a VW Golf. Unfortunately I only drive automatics, & live inner city - so not planning on anything bigger than hatchback. The Golf has a 7 speed DSG with dry clutch (as opposed to 6 speed with wet clutch on more powerful models). I heard that the 7 speed wears out faster due to dry clutch. Any opinions on the 7 speed? I'm looking at buying a 1 year old car with around 10-15k miles on it. Another option would be Ford Focus with powershift. Any thoughts appreciated. I'm only really interested in reliability, after my Toyota with MMT twice proved a near death trap (even after expensive repairs), suddenly locking into neutral on motorway (with baby in the back seat!). Thanks
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - TheBroker
If you're getting a car under 3 years it will have the balance of the warranty to cover things like auto box failures. After warranty expires you can then take out a good aftermarket warranty for continued protection
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - Miniman777
Given the problems with DSG, I'd not touch with a barge pole, too much like a bottomless pit.

When you look at the VW group DSG problems, throw in the emissions scandal, the poor quality timing chains, excessive oil consumption on TFSI engines, and the Teves ABS issues from some years back, VW Group has produced cars of questionable quality and reliability, and also been less than fair with the UK car buying public in out of warranty repairs.

But it's your choice, your money.
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - mss1tw
Being without a car can still be very inconvenient no matter how solid the guarantees
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - HandCart
Focus also has problems with the 'dry' Powershift box.

If your main concern is reliability, then there are many threads on here recommending the best bet is to go for a torque-converter automatic.

Fewer miles per gallon, but fewer headaches.

Hyundai and Kia frequently seem to crop up favourably.
And if most of your driving is inner-city, beware diesels...
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - DirtyDieselDogg
Meh!,
Am currently driving a 7speed dry clutch DSG Skoda, going on 6 years old, and turned 95,000 miles today.
And its the alledgedly inadequate troublesome unsatisfactory 1.6TDI engine.
I intend to at least double these figures.
Fingers crossed.
Though a proper TC Auto is so much nicer for inching manouvers.
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - coopshere
Toyota only produced cars with the MMT system for a short time as they were unable to get them to operate properly. Honda was the same with their iShift system. A one year old Toyota will have either a CVT or standard Torque Convertor auto box and will come with the residue of their excellent 5 year warranty. You won't have to visit too many forums to find out the problems owners have had with DSG or Powershift gearboxes even within warranty let alone those without. Then compare the same with the likes of Toyota and Honda. It's your money and it just depends on whether you part with it using your head or your heart.
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - Ian_SW
Even when it's working properly I don't find the DSG particularly easy to drive smoothly in town. They don't creep properly like a torque converter auto and then hesitate when you want them to set off.

For town driving with an auto box, a petrol hybrid would be my choice. The Prius seems very popular with London minicab drivers these days so must be pretty reliable in stop start traffic.
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - gordonbennet

I can't understand how car makers have managed to make these diabolical things so expensive to fix and with so many regular problems.

Lorry automated manuals are every bit as unfit for driveability (Volvo exception to that rule) as the car versions and with 12 gears to wait endlessly for arguably even more frustrating to boot, but one thing they are proving to be is reliable and durable.

Would i have a DSG, no, along with all other boxes of this type whether single or dual clutch i will not be having one, ever.

Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - oldroverboy.
I can't understand how car makers have managed to make these diabolical things so expensive to fix and with so many regular problems.

I can!

They can sell new gearboxes (or hugely expensive clutch packs at huge prices and lots of hours billed by the dealerships.

Selling the car is only part of the package.

Some makes service costs are astronomical.

Was not someone writing to ask hj about a £1000+ service on his Range Rover.

Cars are made to make money fro the manufacturer and repairer/dealership.

Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - galileo
Don't forget that these theoretically give better consumption/lower emissions than a proper torque converter autobox so lower road tax.

Given that a few hundred miles driving will cost more in fuel than a year's road tax, I can't understand why road tax is worth worrying about.
If it is a problem to prospective buyers, how can they afford to buy a car in the first place?
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - gordonbennet
I can understand someone specifying something to keep out of the very top £500 tax band, but why people worry so much about saving £30/50 on annual tax when its but a small drop in the ocean of car costs is baffling.

I won't have a car in £500 tax purely because i refuse to give the non-govt of the day any more to waste, if i was to get something in that band it would have be worth it, with a tarmac ripping 500hp on tap..:-) i couldn't own what a work colleague used to, Freelander 1 in HSE spec with BMW Diesel engine and auto box £500 ved, kerching.

ORB has a point, i suppose whilst people queue up to buy ticking time bombs with more electronics than you could shake a stick at, baser models without all the tat not wanted, and legion of buyers seemingly happy to be taken for mugs, why should the maker or their dealer worry whilst the money keeps pouring in.
Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - slkfanboy

I think Ford still give the powershift gearbox a 5 year warranty. In the real world 6/7 gears in the city? Nothing useful really

I suspect the VW may have sorted the latest gearbox, sadly no extended warranty thu.

Hyundia now have a gearbox out too, so will be covered by the 5 year warranty also.

Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - DirtyDieselDogg
I had been anticipating buying an "automatic" for some years, being used to the Steyr Puch/MB TC autobox.
I went for the dry 7 speed DSG, purely based on the mpg, which over 200 or 250,000 miles is a serious consideration.
I like it, foibles aside.(like needing ones foot on the brake before engaging Drive/Reverse, alledgedly for safety reasons, yet MB do require this H&S nonsense)
I have towed up to a genuine weighed 3000kg trailer without incident, with this gearbox, & it very well mimics an intelligent sympathetic driver, in it gear selection and retention.
I will probably NOT go back to a manual, though our next (and last ever car purchase) might be a "new improved" TC auto box.
Technology moves on, it was always thus.
Marcus

Edited by DirtyDieselDogg on 22/07/2016 at 13:23

Volkswagen Golf - Should I risk the DSG (7speed) - Avant
I'd agree with Skodalan - a Toyota hybrid would be your best bet for the sort of motoring that you do. The Auris hybrid is the same size as the VW Golf, and has the advantage of a proper handbrake.

Apart from the short-lived MMT gearbox, Toyota's reputation for reliability is one of the best.