Citroen C-Crosser - Winter driving in the Alps for first time - guygamps

Hi

Next year we are going on a Skiing holiday for first time ever, we will be taking our car (2009 Citroen C Crosser which is clone of Mitsubishi Outlander). I have never ski'd before nor driving the alps during winter, so lots of questions

The car has roof bars running front to back, recommendations for a solution of carrying skis? using the bars I presume I can buy/fit cross beams with adapation.

Preparation: apart from a good service, how should the car be prepared? headlight lenses? any different oils or fluids for the cold?

Tyres: currently on Grabber GTs from General Tyre Company, plenty of tread, will these be appropriate? How about Snow chains / Snow socks.

Since this is new to me, what unknowns are there that I am not even asking. What should be carried in the car as "provisions" for emergency? what is legal requirement (hi vis jackets?), what is good advice

All tips graciously received

Guy

Citroen C-Crosser - Winter driving in the Alps for first time - focussed

You don't say which country you plan to ski in, there is a list of requirements here from the AA.

www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains...l

A Hi-viz gilet for every car occupant is required in France and must be accessible before getting out of the car, if it isn't flic will take great pleasure in dishing you out a hefty on-the-spot fine - that's why the french drivers have them draped over the back of the seats.

Don't forget that a lot of the stuff is not optional - if it's required and you get controlled and you haven't got it you could have the car impounded until you put it right.

Edited by focussed on 06/07/2016 at 21:05

Citroen C-Crosser - Winter driving in the Alps for first time - Smileyman

decent strength screnwash - go for -15 if possible, certainly not less than -10

not a top-up but a full washer bottle!

if you are going to be in France do NOT use speed camera detection radar - if caught your car will be confiscated

Citroen C-Crosser - Winter driving in the Alps for first time - FP

"... if caught your car will be confiscated" Not necessarily, but possibly. "Penalties can include fines of up to €1,500, confiscation of the device and of the vehicle." (The AA)
Citroen C-Crosser - Winter driving in the Alps for first time - John F

All tips graciously received

Is this not a 4WD? Unless you are going up the side streets of a snowy Alpine village you will have no trouble at all. Roads up to ski resorts are either very briefly closed or easily passable by even RWD Mercedes (as long as they're on winter tyres - ordinary tyres were good enough for our FWD Audis and Passats). This is because the well engineered roads are not actually steep like some of our Lake District and Pennine roads, they just have lots of curves and hairpins up the mountain side, maintaining a steady shallow gradient.

Plan a cheap fuel stop at a large supermarket near a big town before you get to the Alps.

Carry drinking water (and possibly a shewee!) if joining a Saturday approach road traffic jam. Take a good supply of chocolate. And flask of strong black coffee if lone driver.

Citroen C-Crosser - Winter driving in the Alps for first time - Metropolis.

If you do one thing and one thing only, invest in winter tires. Totally worth it. Going up a hill you'll be fine, but trying to turn or stop is a different matter and can be quite scary no matter how skilled we think we are.

Citroen C-Crosser - Winter driving in the Alps for first time - John F

If you do one thing and one thing only, invest in winter tires. Totally worth it.

I disagree.

" ) What are winter tyres bad at?

At temperatures above 7C they offer significantly poorer grip in dry conditions than the best summer tyres. This can mean a marked increase in braking distances and poorer handling and grip in bends." 'Which' mag.

The chances are you will be driving most of the journey, even the mountain roads, on dry tarmac. For the sake of perhaps a short distance where you might find they are benficial, you are sacrificing the superior grip of normal tyres for most of your journey. (We never bothered to carry chains, either; never heard of anyone checked/fined - more likely to get fine using them on visible tarmac.)

Citroen C-Crosser - Winter driving in the Alps for first time - RT

Modern winter tyres are better in summer than summer tyres of just a few years back - they're also optimised for wet conditions, which the UK gets a lot of in summer.

IMO the only issue with using winter tyres all year round is the higher wear rate in summer.