Honda CR-V - Differential seized - crazy_timbo

On taking my 2006 Honda CR-V to the main dealer following a recall they informed me that the rear differential is seized and to un-seize it will require the differential to be heated up in order to free it. They also advise it will cost in the region of £400 to do this. Is this a common fault in CR-V's? What does heating it up entail? And is £400 reasonable for this?

Honda CR-V - Differential seized - Railroad.
Sounds very precarious. Are you sure you've fully understood what they've told you?
Honda CR-V - Differential seized - elekie&a/c doctor
Not too sure about this.if the diff is seized,how did you drive it to the garage?Do you think they mean they can't get the oil filler plug out to replace the diff oil?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 04/07/2016 at 18:08

Honda CR-V - Differential seized - focussed

If you google "crv seized differential" it does indeed come up with difficulty in removing the drain plugs.

£400 to heat up the diff casing with a propane torch - give the plug a rap with a knocking stick and struggle it out?

I think they are pulling your chain - ask for details of what they are asking this money for.

Honda CR-V - Differential seized - grumpyscot

AFAIK, the rear diff is engaged electronically. The oil should be changed regularly - every 30k or if the diff starts to squeal when turning tight corners. Apparently, it's not as easy a job as it sounds..... apparently! (According to a Honda loving mechanic)

Honda CR-V - Differential seized - mss1tw

AFAIK, the rear diff is engaged electronically. The oil should be changed regularly - every 30k or if the diff starts to squeal when turning tight corners. Apparently, it's not as easy a job as it sounds..... apparently! (According to a Honda loving mechanic)

Having spent time researching these before buying, I believe the dual pump system is entirely mechanical. It's just two propellors that engage the rear diff clutches when a difference between front and rear wheel speeds causes them to engage.

Honda CR-V - Differential seized - focussed

Having spent time researching these before buying, I believe the dual pump system is entirely mechanical. It's just two propellors that engage the rear diff clutches when a difference between front and rear wheel speeds causes them to engage.

The more recent models are not purely mechanical, I was recently seriously interested in a new or nearly new one and there is electronics involved because there was a software problem which caused the 4wd system to revert to 2wd to prevent the rear diff from overheating or overloading.

Because of the total nonsense on this subject emanating from Honda UK I didn't buy one in the end.