Punto 1.9JTD - All season tyres manufacturing - fv43576

I want to avoid buy China tyres. I had them on called Hankook all season for 9 months approx 9,000 miles grip on wet not great the tread has worn very quickly but I drive steady the rubber turn into like marshmallow becomes spilt on side of tyre. I have find out that is very dangerous can explosion

Here is the list that I want to buy tyre if they are British or European

Vredestein Quatrac 5 made in Holland

Uniroyal said to be same made with Bridgestone but it did not say made in where?

Pirelli is Italy but some are made in England it doesn't not say which tyre summer or all season?

Avon made in USA?

Dunlop confirm is made by China!

Goodyear, Michelin and Continental are out of my options because it is too expensive

I want to pay under £75 for each tyre. my tyre is 185/55 15inch Max speed rate 'H'

Punto 1.9JTD - All season tyres manufacturing - RobJP

There's nothing wrong with Hankook tyres. Auto Bild did a lot of testing on them in 2015, and found them to be just as good as any 'premium' brands.

For a number of years they were standard new fit on a lot of Fords.

I suspect problems have been due to your driving style, or incorrect pressures.

My driving style? steady all year to London and back on motorway 60mph less wear than driving through countryside roads. I do check my tyre pressure 4 times a week aim to keep same MPG and long life on this tyre but seem very short to compare my previous summer www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/nokian" target="_blank">Nokian Tyres which was last 13,000miles see the different between 9,000 miles & 13,000 miles. All I was ask is any one of you know that Avon, Uniroyal & Pirelli are they come from EU or Britain? Because I am not interest to buy China again ever!

Punto 1.9JTD - All season tyres manufacturing - RT

Hankook are Korean !!!

Avoid Chinese? You may not be able to as many of the big brands have them made there to save on labour costs.

And most brands, big and medium have plants in many parts of the world and specific tyres are rarely made in more than one of them.

Avon is owned by Cooper, an American brand - Uniroyal is owned by Continental in Europe and Michelin in America - Pirelli is now Chinese-owned

In all the above cases, it'll depend on the model of tyre where it's made.

Since you're extremely bothered - you best find a friendly tyre distributor and ask to physically look at their entire stock - not really practical is it?

Edited by RT on 30/06/2016 at 15:22

Punto 1.9JTD - All season tyres manufacturing - phil_z70

What about - www.asdatyres.co.uk/goodyear/ultragrip-9/185-55-15...9

So which is top three best all season for under £75 with good grip rather than noise level & economy

I am not car expert but can you recommend which one for my car?

thank you

The Goodyear Ultragrips listed in the post above should be perfectly fine.

Quite funny really. You're complaining about getting low mileage from tyres, but want to put all-season tyres on - and the rubber on those is softer, so they wear out faster. Yet you don't really need all-season tyres if, as you say, all your driving is on motorways at 60mph.

In addition, you say you're no expert, yet you check your tyre pressures 4 times a week.

If you are going through tyres in 9k miles on a normal car - or even 13k miles on the set previously, then the pressure is wrong, your driving style is terrible, or there is something wrong with the car. But something is causing that high wear rate.

As an example, on my BMW 325d the rear tyres (it is rear wheel drive) lasted 27,000 miles. The fronts are still looking reasonable at 35,000 miles (down to 4mm, so will be getting them changed in the next 2 months).

I've just had as look on the My Tyres website, as you might - All-season in size 185/55 R15 H at under £75 each fully fitted - I wouldn't recommend any of them!

Punto 1.9JTD - All season tyres manufacturing - gordonbennet

www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/vredestein/quatrac-...1

Every Vred i've had previously has been made in Holland, had Quatracs for years on some of the family cars as well as other Vreds, always good stuff.

Uniroyal Rainsports as fitted to my old MB are German made, presumably other Uniroyals are too, but if as said Uniroyal are owned by Conti, take note some Conti's have ''engineered in Germany'' writ large on the sidewall, others, not 'engineered in Germany' don't have their place of origin quite so loudly proclaimed.

"Engineered in Germany" isn't the same as made in Germany - if not moulded on the tyre the country of origin is the E number - E1 being Germany.

Punto 1.9JTD - All season tyres manufacturing - boggles
Could it be to do with the engine characteristics, that tyre wear is heavy? Our first Zafira on Michelin, did 40,000 miles, on each of its two sets of front tyres. When we had the later Zafira, with the 1.9 Fiat motor, it wore out its Continentals (evenly) in 14,000 miles. The dealers said it was normal, and just the way the diesel put down its power. Good year efficient grip were no better. Our mileage was lots of m-way too.
I would try Uniroyal on the Punto.
Could it be to do with the engine characteristics, that tyre wear is heavy? Our first Zafira on Michelin, did 40,000 miles, on each of its two sets of front tyres. When we had the later Zafira, with the 1.9 Fiat motor, it wore out its Continentals (evenly) in 14,000 miles. The dealers said it was normal, and just the way the diesel put down its power. Good year efficient grip were no better. Our mileage was lots of m-way too. I would try Uniroyal on the Punto.

It's not the way the engine puts down the power, at least not directly - it's the way drivers exploit the high torque of diesels

Could it be to do with the engine characteristics, that tyre wear is heavy? Our first Zafira on Michelin, did 40,000 miles, on each of its two sets of front tyres. When we had the later Zafira, with the 1.9 Fiat motor, it wore out its Continentals (evenly) in 14,000 miles. The dealers said it was normal, and just the way the diesel put down its power. Good year efficient grip were no better. Our mileage was lots of m-way too. I would try Uniroyal on the Punto.

It's not the way the engine puts down the power, at least not directly - it's the way drivers exploit the high torque of diesels

I don't see it. The 325d is 218 bhp and massive torque, with sub-7 0-60 and slingshot acceleration through the gears, yet the rears did 27k, and fronts would probably be legal past 40k - all on Pirelli P-Zero (wheels are 19" too, which doesn't help).

The worst front wheel drive car I ever owned for tyre wear was the Volvo 850 T5-R, which would go through a set of fronts in about 8k miles - again, P-Zero tyres. But that was reknowned for going through them (was on 18" wheels)

I don't see it. The 325d is 218 bhp and massive torque, with sub-7 0-60 and slingshot acceleration through the gears, yet the rears did 27k, and fronts would probably be legal past 40k - all on Pirelli P-Zero (wheels are 19" too, which doesn't help).

The worst front wheel drive car I ever owned for tyre wear was the Volvo 850 T5-R, which would go through a set of fronts in about 8k miles - again, P-Zero tyres. But that was reknowned for going through them (was on 18" wheels)

That's the difference between FWD and RWD - all cars "squat" at the rear under acceleration, even though most have suspension geometry to reduce the attitude change - but the fact is that weight is transferred off the front axle onto the rear - so with less grip, the front wheels are more prone to slip which is when wear occurs most - conversely the rear wheels will have more grip so less prone to slip.

Punto 1.9JTD - All season tyres manufacturing - gordonbennet

E1 being Germany.

But of course, what else could it have been.

a slightly sour smiley should accompany this, in context with current events

I believe they were originally allocated alphabetically in French - so Allemagne comes first - one thing the Germans wouldn't insist on a translation!