N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - dan86

OnFriday I will be driving up to Leeds leaving Bromley at around 2:30 pm. What is the best route backromers would suggest. I was thinking blackwall tunnel M11 A1M but if there are any better suggestions I'm open to them.

Thanks in advance

N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - Avant

It's a pity you have to do this on a Friday afternoon: you're bound to hit traffic at some point, although your suggested route is probably the least of the evils.

There's a choice of how to get from M11 to A1(M) - the A14 is probably the most direct but it'll have a lot of people on it who have a yen to get from East Anglia to the Midlands.

Depending on what you're doing when you get to Leeds, is a train out of the question?

Edited by Avant on 29/06/2016 at 01:18

We did look at the train but it was cost prohibitive due to six of us travelling together. With all four adults sharing the fuel cost it makes the journey much cheaper.

N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - NARU

Google maps allows you to look at the route for a specific day/time of the week - it remembers the traffic from previous days/weeks.

Thanks.

N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - Smileyman

At the end of May went to York from Kent, used the route of Dartford Crossing M25/A14/A1, fairly good drive, minimal delays for roadworks or congestion, good route to drive.

Using the Dartford Crossing will be shorter and unless congested quicker than the Blackwall Tunnel route, I have an account which reduces the crossing cost to £1.67 per go.

Unfortunately last Friday went to Nottingham - nightmare journey - left Canterbury at 1pm - Dartford Crossing backed up to the A2 so used the Blackwall Tunnel - this was also slow going with roadworks (30mph & Specs) on the A2, then a queue as everyone squeezed into the 2 lanes for the tunnel ... A12 was not too bad but there was a queue on M11 leading up to M25 (and 50mph speed restriction, yet more cameras), the M25 was rollercoaster in places but not too bad, M1 was fine(ish) until J13 when caught up in 1 hour delay after accident at J16, then more roadworks with 50mph & cameras - indeed the opportunity to reach 50 would have been nice, however after junction with A14/M6 traffic levels lightened a little - then still more roadworks albeit with only short delays. Reached my destination at 6.30, late of course, pity it was not railways or I'd been eligible for compensation.

Journey back on Sunday PM was much better, mostly flowed freely. Used M1 / A14 / M11 and stopped off in east London so cannot state journey time. Using the A14 route meant avoided the M1 roadworks around Watford Gap, but the junction M1/M6/A14 is being remodelled so you might encouter delays here. The advantage of the M1 is it has more lanes, M11 beyond Stansted and A1 (mostly) is 2 lanes with just a few wider sections and of course no HGV's go into lanes 3 & 4.

For a novalty use the Woolwich Ferry instead of the Blackwall Tunnel. It's free and affords a great view of London on the boat as crossing the Thames.

N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - gordonbennet

Check Dartford traffic before you leave, if decent enough i'd nip through Dart tunnel.

Your worse bottleneck will most likely be M11/A14 jct and A14 to Huntindon, that can be awful but you might just get there before it jams up, if its bad (assuming you have a smartphone and can keep an eye on traffic) you could nip off at A428 jct and turn left for St Neots, then right at the Caxton Gibbet roundabout and run up the real A14 (now renumbered) to Huntingdon and rejoin the main drag.

Try not to use Stansted services on a Fri afternoon, it can take 15+ minutes just to get back onto the roundabout again, most annoying services i know for this.

Safe trip.

N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - concrete

As with others, Dartford Tunnel, M25, but the go round to the M1 then straight up to Leeds with no other interchanges. Even with roadworks and average speed sections it does flow. For Leeds the M11/A14/M1 or A1/A1M is full of potential hazards and junctions. If the M25 and M1 is flowing, albeit slowly at times then stick with it and barring accidents you will get there safely and directly. Good luck, it is a journey I would not make on a Friday unless I had to. Cheers Concrete

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will keep an eye on the traffic and I use Google maps and mostly it upto date with traffic.

N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - Ian_SW

Having done nearly that journey fairly regularly for quite a few years on a Friday I'd suggest the A1 over the M1 in preference for reliability. It goes past a much smaller number of large places, so doesn't get too much of the medium distance between two cities commuters which slows the M1 all the way from Northampton to Sheffield at peak times. During the rest of the week, the A1 can be a bit tedious with two lanes of lorries for long periods, but on a Friday most of the northern based lorries are already at Doncaster or northwards by about 3pm so there are surprisingly few heading north further south. Remember it is an A road not a motorway though so there will be some pretty rubbish junctions and even the odd tractor to watch out for.

There are quite a few options at the London end too which can cut out large chunks of the M25. One river crossing which many people forget about is the Woolwich Ferry which if you live near to it is a quicker way across than either of the tunnels. This opens up the option of the North Circular up to Woodford (usually pretty quick as long as you don't go beyond Woodford). From there either go on up the M11, A14 etc, or for a more interesting, slightly shorter and (if the M11/A14 is looking slow) faster route, drop off the M11 at Loughton (first exit) or and take the B roads up the east side of the Lee Valley and join the A10 at Broxbourne and on to Stevenage and the A1 via the relatively empty A602.

Nearly half way. at Peterboroughservices. Took the blackwall tunnel as Dartford was congested then m25 to a10 then on to the a1m so far plain sailing just a few holdups.

Thanks to everyone for here help

N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - FP

Well done! Your quickest route to Leeds will now be the M62.

You're probably past the worst of the traffic.

N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - galileo

Well done! Your quickest route to Leeds will now be the M62.

You're probably past the worst of the traffic.

Peterborough service to Leeds involves many miles of A1 before you reach the M62. (M1 from the M18 junction Northward has 50 mph limit for 20+ miles)

There was many miles of a1 but the traffic flowed smothley thanks to Google maps wasn't stuck in traffic for more than 10 minutes the entire journey. And I didn't mind going around the a10 and the villages we went through as it got to see parts of the country I've never seen before.

N/A - Southeast London to Leeds - FP

Certainly when we go from Hemel to Leeds to visit my son and family, even though we're right by Junction 8 on the M1, we never go far up the M1 - perhaps to J13 to take the A421 to the Black Cat roundabout on the A1. Alternatively we go via the North Orbital to join the A1 at Hatfield. Same for the return journey.

Though nothing is guaranteed, in the past we've had more problems with traffic on the M1 than the A1.