Seat TDIs with PD technology - Diesel nutter
Hey!

Im seriously considering a Cordoba (or maybe Ibiza) with the outstanding TDI 130 PD engine and 6-speed 'box but wonder why the larger Leon and Toledo do not come with this engine. My local dealer had hoped that the attractive new Toldeo Sport would ship with the 130 engine but alas its got the troublesome 1.8 20V-T petrol only. I understand that in Europe the Leon can even be had with the TDI150 - why are we kept from such power!

I also notice that whilst Skoda have PD power in the Fabia and Superb, the Octavia is still packing the old 110 rotary-pump lump. I would seriously consider a Toledo if it had the 130 engine, as at the current prices it looks like far better value than a Cordoba. Any ideas when (if?) it may be available with the PD engine?

Thanks
Seat TDIs with PD technology - jud
Nutter, what are the issues with the 1.8T engine? ignition modules i know of (cars 2001 to 2002) but what are the others, mine after three years has given not one engine problem.
Seat TDIs with PD technology - DavidHM
Sir, step AWAY from the vehicle.

Don't go anywhere near a Cordoba unless you like comedy depreciation, are keeping the car forever or have a load of really big golf clubs to keep in your really small garage. It'll be worth thousands less than an Ibiza - to the extent that, if you don't do much mileage, you might find it cheaper to get a Leon with the 1.8 litre engine.

The Toledo, while not as manifestly ugly as the Cordoba, is still a big depreciator, so my money would be on an Octavia RS at £14k, unless (and probably from your name you do) you really need the diesel. It's still got the torque, has the sharpest handling of all, and a boot big enough to live in.
Seat TDIs with PD technology - hispecgolfs
My
local dealer had hoped that the attractive new Toldeo Sport would
ship with the 130 engine but alas its got the troublesome
1.8 20V-T petrol only.

Troublesome 1.8 20V-T??? I think you will find there are more problems with turbo failures on VWs PD diesel engines than with the 1.8T.

Andrew
Regards

Andrew
Seat TDIs with PD technology - FergusTheDog
The 1.8T is a great engine quiet and smooth with tons of torque and very economical too. I have driven then with 180k up and they run like new.

I have never driven a car with a 4 pot VAG PDi diesel that was anything other than nasty and noisy.

The Pdi 130 is particularly awful - ruins most Audis.
Seat TDIs with PD technology - Soupytwist
Having seen a Cordoba at my local SEAT dealer last Saturday (while there to get the dealer to fix a rear light on our new Ibiza, collected the previous day, with the 100 bhp PD engine) I have to say that you should only buy a Cordoba if you don?t mind people pointing at your car & laughing.

I think that the reason the Leon & Octavia don?t come with the PD engine is that they?ve been around a while now and were not considered suitable for the VAG flagship diesel engine. Why SEAT isn?t allowed to put one in the new Toledo I don?t know, it would seem to make sense given that the current quick Ibiza has it.

My other car is an Octavia 110 bhp estate (Fergus will obviously be sending the men in white coats round to my house) so I suppose I?m well placed to make a comparison between the latest VAG diesel technology & its previous incarnation which I will do once I?ve driven the SEAT a bit more. Initial impressions are that the PD is noisier than the older engine but in the lighter SEAT it really does push you along very well. I seem to recall being disappointed with the noise of the Octavia?s engine at first but it?s getting quieter now I?ve done a few miles (or I?m getting used to it) so hopefully the SEAT will be similar.

I?ll be keeping a close eye on the oil consumption of the SEAT over the coming months (must get some Millers XFE-PD or whatever it?s called) and being careful about running it in.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.