Drink Driving Info - ian

My father in law has rather stupidly been caught drink driving on saturday night. he has a date in court for wednesday. I've already told him to expect a 12 mth ban and a hefty fine (aprox £300-500?? he only earns about £10k).

My questions are....

Is it worth him getting a solicitor or should he just plead guilty. He was 63 vs 35 limit on the breathlyser.

Will he be banned on wednesday or just given another date for court and told to expect a ban?

As I understand it there are few practical grounds for mitigation no matter what the consequences of the ban will be. As such it must be one of the few crimes in the uk where the severity of the punishment has a genuine detterence affect...shame we can't have more of this for violence and other anti-social behaviour.

I understand there are education courses where they cut the sentence by three month if completed. He said 9mth or 12mths is no difference and he'd rather not do the course, shall I tell him not to share this view with the court if they offer an education course to him!?

Thanks in advance for any help. Ian

Drink Driving Info - DavidHM
This is not an area of the law about which I know a great deal in theory, however a friend of mine was caught in similar circumstances.

I think where he is will have a major effect on how severe the ban is. My friend had a reading of 72 and was caught after an accident in which there was property damage and he failed to stop. He received an 18 month ban, reduced by 3 months if he completed a course. As the insurance premium was subsequently horrendous (i.e., £2k vs. £900 without NCB) he hasn't bothered driving again.

His fine was quite small - £150 or so I believe. Assuming there was no accident involved, I would expect your FIL to get a ban on the shorter end of the scale and a similar fine, at least from reading local papers. However, it might be worth pleading any mitigating circumstances in case the magistrates start out with a longer ban and only ever reduce it to 12 months, taking account of the circumstances.

He should plead guilty unless there have been procedural irregularities. Even if he pleads guilty, he can adduce evidence of good character and so on. It doesn't sound like there have been irregularities, but a solicitor probably won't want more than a couple of hours' worth to handle the case, so I wouldn't rule it out unless it's absolutely impossible for him to meet the cost.

My feeling is that there's no point in telling the court he's not interested in doing a course or worried about the length of the ban. They will punish him based on criteria that are set in advance, and may react badly to an 'arrogant' defendant who expects them to take into account his explicit wishes (rather than circumstances) when punishing him. They certainly won't say 'Ah well, have 3 months off anyway, seeing as you don't want to do the course.'
Drink Driving Info - ian
Thanks David,

He was simply pulled over after driving through a red light. Although my father in law says they were behind him at a traffic light and when he pulled away on green they pulled him over citing the red light offence. I'm sure this is a "procedural irregularity" but in practice his word against theirs in this situation is a waste of time. I understood the 12 months ban was a maximum without aggravating circumstances as your friend. I feel a solicitor is a waste of money and he should throw himself on their mercy and take the course if offered.

I have heard about some smart a..e defences re: machine calibrations and copies of specimens etc. etc. but frankly in his situation he needs the lesson and besides I suspect if you attempt this strategy and it goes wrong they take great delight in throwing the book at you.
Drink Driving Info - Wally Zebon
I would recommend getting a solicitor. If only so as not to get a longer ban by saying the wrong thing. Can your FIL claim that his job depends on his licence? It probably won't stop the ban, but it might reduce the length.

The ban would come into force immediately. He will not be allowed to drive home from court.

Drink Driving Info - ian
I understand the ban to be 12 months no more or no less (less if you complete an education course) unless you take out a queue at a bus stop at the same time. I think 12 months without transport is a good enough lesson for anyone except those people who continue to drive disqualified and the thousands of people who drive round high on other less testable narcotics. He needs his car to get to work but who doesn't, I understood the courts to ban you no matter what even if your whole job and subsequent home and family committments depended on it?? There must be some real sad stories out there due to one moment of madness hence the deterrent I suppose.
Drink Driving Info - doug_523i
I thought 12 months was a minimum, rising higher depending on how far over the limit the defendant was.
Drink Driving Info - Dwight Van Driver
Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 Schedule 2

Driving over the prescribed limit.

Mode of prosecution : Summarily (Mags Crt)

Punishment: 6months imprisonment or level 5 fine on the standard scale (£5,000)

Disqualification obligatory: Not less than 12 months (Section 34)

Endorsement: Obligatory

Court Procedure (something like this):

Defendant called, charge outlined and then asked by Clerk of Court as to plea (Guilty?)

CPS Solicitor outlines the case from a statement of facts.
(For his presence there will be a fee as Court Costs anywhere from £45 to a ton which Defendant will have to pay in addition to sentence passed.)

Defendant can then give his account either from the witnesses box under oath from which he can be cross examined, or,
he can make a statement from the floor of the Court and can not be X examined. This is the time for a contrite, truthful expression of regret (bordering on a grovel).

Magistrates then consider and pronounce sentence.

As this seems a clear cut case then whilst a Solicitor would perhaps outline mitigation and regret, his time will be charged and added to the overall Bill and may not achieve a reduction in the overall sentence. Other than a clear cut case then a Solicitor may be a practical application.

As to sentence re reduction if defendant attends a re hab course etc. this may not be applicable as I understand, and can be corrected on this point, it has not been adapted universally.

Hope this helps.

DVD

Drink Driving Info - mr_right
My dad was done for drink driving, he was driving someone home the day after a party and got pulled they say for a dodgy head light.

He got a fine, 12 month ban and community service, his solicitor didnt help him one bit he told him he was prob going to get a small fine and a 6 month ban, wot a usless solicitor.

He never drove for 3 years after as he didnt need a car hes just got one and fully com insurance for £500 and that was for a ford mondeo 2ltr as well.
Drink Driving Info - dave18
My punishment was 2 years ban reducable to 18 months if I do the rehab course, which costs £200 or so, which will reduce future reinsurance costs. I got no fine, but a period of community service because I had to prove my ability to pay a fine but could not (Im a student and in debt.) The 2 year ban was placed upon me due to the aggravating factors, namely deciding it was a good plan to use Mum's car (no insurance.) I did not have to give a statement at court - I simply plead guilty to the charges except for no MOT, to which the magistrates paid no attention. If I had been able to afford the fine it would have been circa £500, or so I was advised. Just thought Id publish it being somebody who has first hand experience!
As for the comment about £500 on a Mondeo...this pleases me! Im figuring out how to get my finances in order so that when I eventually drive again I can get myself a new Corsa/Polo. Maybe a Polo TDi, quite low insurance... anyway! :)
Drink Driving Info - No Do$h
My punishment was 2 years ban reducable to 18 months if
I do the rehab course, which costs £200 or so, which
will reduce future reinsurance costs.

The insurance will very much depend on age as well as the DUI charge. A friend completed his 2 year ban 2 years ago and has been paying £1800pa F/comp for a new mini cooper. He's 25
Drink Driving Info - adrian111uk
Hi There
I blew 69 last saturday

You said that you have the choice of statement or cross exam

the cross exam can be really awful if the CPS decides to go for the jugular....but the lack of reply may coundt against you.....do you have an opinion on which is better
I am preparing a simple one page statement giving a bit about my circumstances and offering to do a rehab course ( I think I will get 16-reduced to 12)
Drink Driving Info - OldHand
A friend of mine was 90 and rising when he was caught driving the wrong way down a one way street in an untaxed, uninsured and un MOT'd Maestro.

He represented himself in court and followed some advice I gave him based on what I'd seen happen myself (for reasons I won't go into I used to watch a lot of cases being conducted).

He admitted his guilt, submitted papers saying that he had a problem with alcohol with support from his doctor. Expressed his profound regret and asked the court to help as well as punish him.

He got a 12 month ban reduced to 9 months on completing the course.

Right or wrong the correct attitude can lessen the severity of the penalty.

Personally speaking and despite the advice I gave I believe that drink driving should be an automatic lifetime ban.
Drink Driving Info - Westpig
Personally speaking and despite the advice I gave I believe that drink driving should be
an automatic lifetime ban.

take the point.......but......you have to give people something to aim for i.e. get the licence back, otherwise they'll just become permananent disqualified drivers, with no insurance etc..and be even more of a menace
I understand that viewpoint as well but the problem for me is that it's akin to saying 'well he only molested one little boy why not let him go back to teaching'.

If people drive uninsured after a DD ban then a spell in prison and massive financial penalties should result.

You wouldn't give a convicted armed robber a shotgun licence, likewise a drunk driver IMO.
I understand that viewpoint as well but the problem for me is that it's akin to saying 'well he only molested one little boy why not let him go back to teaching'.
If people drive uninsured after a DD ban then a spell in prison and massive financial penalties should result. >>
You wouldn't give a convicted armed robber a shotgun licence likewise a drunk driver IMO.

yes........but paedophilia and armed robbery are out and out criminal offences, done by people who have no regard for the law or the victim

drink/driving can be committed by the people listed above.....but.......equally, can be committed by someone who is in all other respects is a model citizen and on that occasion has made a mistake or allowed alcohol to fog their common sense

i'm not saying at all that drink/drive is allowable or excusable....just the punishment has to sometimes fit 'ordinary people in a mess' not your out and out crook

e.g good friend has keys to my house when we're away and him and his girlfriend look after the dogs.......10-12 years ago he got done for D/D......if he was a paedo or armed robber he wouldn't be a friend or have the keys to the house...he was wrong, paid his fine, endured his ban, realises he was wrong.....end of story.......the paedo in my book should be put down or at the very least castrated.......the armed robber should have a minimum 25 year sentence

in my view they're not in the same league......maybe that's the point......your penalty for motoring matters is too similar to more serious ones, because the system is knackered
Drink Driving Info - GroovyMucker
"the correct attitude can lessen the severity of the penalty" ... well, in most courts the length of ban is based on what you blow rather than on contrition expressed.

If you get a different result then you've been very ... is "lucky" the right word here?
Drink Driving Info - Pugugly {P}
Ian,
I would suggest the duty brief at Court on Wednesday - this is a free service, he may find if his case is adjourned that an interim ban will be imposed. He was (nearly) twice over the limit
12 months is a minimum and not a maximum.

As regards your last paragraph the simple answer is "Yes"

Two options, get a brief now, but in all honesty I would suggest
a word with the duty on Wednesday before his case is called. You may find that if he appears unrepresented that the Court would adjourn his case simply to confer with the Duty and lead to wasting even more time.

Don't take any legal advice on a website - get a brief, even our
system allows for free legal advice on the day.
Drink Driving Info - ian
Well thanks for all the advice. He decided on a solicitor in the end, in court this morning, not that it did any good. His sentance...

16mths ban £300 fine, 4 months off if he completes the course. Rode the bus home, the first time of many.

This should be a salutory experience for anyone on the perils of drink driving.
Drink Driving Info - Dave_TD
Sounds about right. Has he had any more thoughts on doing the course?
Drink Driving Info - Mark (RLBS)

Just re-reading and I picked up on this....

>>He said 9mth or 12mths is no difference and he'd rather not do the course,

Bit of a strange point of view that the education is so terrible that he would prefer to be off the road for an additional, and avoidable, period.

Do I assume, therefore, that he will be off the road for 16 months ?

And on a somewhat more obvious point...

>>This should be a salutory experience for anyone on the perils of drink driving.

There are drink-driving experiences which can be a lot more salutory than this, occasionally permanent.
Makes it safer for everyone else. Re-offending rate on drunk driving is still pretty high. Keep them off the road for as long as possible.
Drink Driving Info - No Do$h
In seem to recall that the Police view the most dangerous of DUIs as the repeat offenders, typically male and typically 55 and over. It all stems from their having driven in the 1960s and 1970s when drink driving was, on the whole, ignored.

I certainly remember my late father and his friends used to all drink-drive in the 1970s and into the 1980s. Nothing I could say would stop him from considering it acceptable to have 3 or 4 pints and then drive a couple of miles home, which is why I used to take him to the pub so I could drive, having switched to soft drinks after 1 pint of something appropriately weak.
Drink Driving Info - Steve S
No Dosh,

You're right about mainly males over 55 as consistent and repeat offenders and they do make up a high proportion of positives on random testing.

Interestingly, given that bit of info - the majority testing positive after serious accidents are still youngsters (under 25). I wish I could lay my hand on the exact figures.

The suggestion in the article concerned was that although this hard core of older drivers needs attention, it's still important to concentrate on new drivers because the fewer (comparatively) that are involved are still responsible for more of the dreadful consequences.

I suspect it has much to do with a greater liklihood of accident with or without drink at those younger ages.
I agree, no-dosh, the trouble with a lot of the type you mention are the more affluent types, consequently they drive a better class of late model car that is rarely pulled by the Police on spec.

Went out lat night, SWMBO wanted a glass of wine so I stuck to J2O stuff - expensive and boring, good meal though.
Drink Driving Info - dave18
Pugugly - you say reoffending rates are pretty high - I know the fact I got caught and especially the fact my reading erred on the high side are two factors that would stop me from doing so again.
No dosh - 1800 on Mini Cooper? I am keen to pursue a Polo Tdi (gp 4) or new Corsa 1.2 (gp 2) - Id guess these will be a fair bit lower in terms of grouping and about the same to insure given my age? (20 maybe 21 when I get a car.)
Drink Driving Info - DavidHM
A lot of the premium will be loaded because of what you did and not the car you did it in. I don't doubt that you're a reformed character, but those who are not are likely to cost their insurers thosuands and there's no way for the insurance company to tell you and them apart. Therefore, you, particularly, will be subsidising them for 5 years after your conviction. I'd count on £1500 at least, probably more if you're under 21, even if you've still got some NCD left over from last time.
Drink Driving Info - Dogbreath
I remember my old great uncle who drove mini erratically around Berkshire used to say..."I drive better after I've 'ad a few".
Drink Driving Info - Tomo.
It used to be better many years ago if your road home was a tram route, after the last car preferably. You kept the offside headlamp aligned with a tram rail, keeping in mind that thus you were not driving erratically even if it felt like it.

Hic!

Tomo
Drink Driving Info - Roffus
There is a scheme that reduces the ban by 1/4 so he will get banned for 12 months and if he passes the rehabilitation programme it will be reduced to nine months. Sorry to hear this the law in this area is ridiculous. I suggest a solicitor he will get legal aid.
Drink Driving Info - HisHonour {P}
There are drink-driving experiences which can be a lot more salutory than this, occasionally permanent

....and terminal!
Drink Driving Info - leatherpatches
The biggest irony is that a drink-driving ban will facilitate higher alcohol intake by the banned party (not necessarily anyone mentioned in this thread), who often suffers from a lack of control with drink anyway.

At least before he was banned he was likely to moderate when driving. You can board a bus as intoxicated as you like!
Drink Driving Info - Dwight Van Driver
Sorry LP but if you are drunk on a PSV (public place) and if going or coming from a sporting fixture then offence under Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol) Act 1985.

PLUS

The good old offence of being simply Drunk in Public Place
S12, Licensing Act 1872 if I remember correctly.

Best not bother and just quaff at home as there is no such offence as being drunk in charge of an armchair...

DVD
Drink Driving Info - hootie
I know it's a real dampner to say this, but I did used to know someone whose husband came home at tea time from an office party, in his car, and had an RTA (only his vehicle) in which a teenage pedestrian died.

I've never touched a drop when driving since hearing this

Bans can be lived with, fines can be met, whatever your circumstances - but ...

It made all of us who knew him wise up bigtime.

"Appearances can be Deceptive"
Drink Driving Info - Martin Devon
Best not bother and just quaff at home as there is no such offence as
being drunk in charge of an armchair...
DVD

Not yet, but the men in Grey suits are working on it........George Orwell!!!!!

VBR............................MD
Drink Driving Info - milkyjoe
i failed a road side breatherlyser test the day " after" i had been drinking but by the time the police had got me to a police station to do the proper test on their all singing all dancing analysing machine i was under the legal limit, so please bare this in mind next monday morning on the way to work after a weekend on the lash, i use the 1 hour per pint between "bottle and throttle" dictum now
It takes an average healthy male about an hour to metabolise one unit of alcohol.

Many pints these days contain 2 especially if you drink that nasty fizzy cold stuff beloved of bum fluff sporting youths.
i had 8 pints newcastle brown and 4 double voddies, my last drink was approx 2am i was breathalysed at the police station at around 10.20 am (8h 20 mins later) and passed the test so either the police analyser is faulty or the medical men in white suits cant add up or my metabolism is remarkably fast!!!
Drink Driving Info - Martin Devon
i had 8 pints newcastle brown and 4 double voddies my last drink was approx
2am i was breathalysed at the police station at around 10.20 am (8h 20 mins
later) and passed the test so either the police analyser is faulty or the medical
men in white suits cant add up or my metabolism is remarkably fast!!!

OR.....you are a big bloke who moves a bit and by that I mean works and not just pen pushing etc. It all has an effect.

VBR...................MD
Drink Driving Info - FotheringtonThomas
i use the 1 hour per pint between "bottle and throttle" dictum now

I'd suggest rather longer would be better!
Drink Driving Info - Brian Tryzers
...I use the 1 hour per pint between "bottle and throttle" dictum now.

Is that enough? I thought it should be more like one hour per unit - and a pint of 5% beer is nearly three units.
And on a Lighter Note! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Statistics from Australia

1. 1 out of 4 fatalaties weren't wearing a seatbelt...
2. 1 out or 3 fatalaties involved alcohol...
3. 2 out of 5 fatalaties involved speeding...

which means:

1. 3 out of 4 fatalaties WERE wearing a seatbelt...
2. 2 out of 3 fatalaties DIDN'T involve alcohol...
3. 3 out of 5 fatalaties DIDN't speed...

.*******
And on a Lighter Note! - Altea Ego
So which speeding drunks were thrown out of the car and died then?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
And on a Lighter Note! - Brian Tryzers
By my reckoning (no calculator required, MilkyJoe!) that means 48 fatalities in 60 - 4 in 5 - involved at least one of those factors.
And on a Lighter Note! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Involved being a speeding unbelted drunk or NOT being an unbelted speeding drunk? I suspect the maths either way but I trained on a bead frame = abacus so i could be wrong. Please clarify one way or the other!
And on a Lighter Note! - Brian Tryzers
Statistics from Australia

Starting from the figures above, the proportion of fatalities that were in ALL these 'good' categories is 3/4 x 2/3 x 3/5 = 18/60 = 3/10. That leaves 7 out of 10 (not 8 as I posted earlier - right maths, wrong arithmetic) who were in at least one of the 'bad' categories.
And on a Lighter Note! - Dyane 6 Mehari

You can't imply anything from this as it takes no account of the incidence of the above in the normalised driving population.

To get a useful statistical measure you would need to look at the above "attributes" as a proportion of a representative sample group. You'd then need to compare the variance in terms of accident rate and fatality rate between the overall sample group and the people doing 1,2 or 3.

If 5 people in the group had been drinking and all died, against perhaps 15 deaths overall, you'd see that the drinkers were involved in only one third of fatalities, but nonetheless had a 100% mortality rate.

Statisitcs are a very useful way of measuring risk but they must be interpreted properly and challenged where wrong.

There was an interesting report a few months back that does prove a link between speeding and accidents - drivers with 4 or more points on their licence for speeding offences are almost twice as likely to have been involved in an accident than those that have no points. The difficulty is then understanding the root causes - was the driver's typical speed profile the problem that led to increased accident incidence, or is it a driving attitude problem that is expressed in drivers speeding amongst other poor behaviours?

Terry...
i hour per unit!!!! so all the weekend binge drinkers would have to refrain from driving to work till about wednesdsay then!!!
Drink Driving Info - Brian Tryzers
I'm no expert, MJ, but another factor is the period over which you ingested your alcohol. I doubt you had all yours in the hour before 0200, or that the alcohol was all gone when you were tested at 1020. On the other hand, even if you started at 1800 the previous evening, that gives you about 25 units been and (almost) gone in 16 hours, which does seem quick.

Add a small safety margin to that figure, though - which you'd hope most people would - and we're not too far off one hour per unit, are we?
Drink Driving Info - bell boy
Milky i love a newkie brown or two but eight, jees, its a heavy drink how did you manage it?
Drink Driving Info - Lud
I was wondering too...

There used to be a special ward in Newcastle General Hospital for NB enthusiasts, I was told.
Milky i love a newkie brown or two but eight jees its a heavy drink
how did you manage it?
i just tipped the glass at a slight angle and down it slid, quite easy with a bit of practice, i dont drink it now it would take to long to recover from that much abuse!!!!
Drink Driving Info - GroovyMucker
IIRC on the NHS website the 1 hour 1 unit rule is quoted, but subject to a caveat saying the only sure way to ensure you blow nil is to leave 12 hourse between last drink and driving. If that last stat is correct, it might explain the apparent discrepancy.
Drink Driving Info - FotheringtonThomas
newkie brown [is] a heavy drink how did you manage it?

It tastes like proper beer that's been boiled.
Drink Driving Info - Another John H
how did you manage it?

people who drink a lot regularly can become better at metabolising alcohol than those who don't.

A "large build" helps too.

at the time i was 11 1/2 stone but i did have a physically demanding job that may explain the speedy sobering up time
have you taken into account the fact that if you were in the pub for say 6 hours, you'd have used up 5 units whilst you were still quaffing

i.e. in the 1st hour your drinks were still going in your system. After the 2nd hour the first unit will have been burnt off, after the 3rd hour another unit etc (although i realise you're filling them up again as you're still drinking).

that's my theory anyway.........in other words they don't all go in your system and stay there until you stop drinking at the end of it, you burn some off on the way

on that principle......if i'm correct.....after an 8 hour drinking session and an 8 hour kip you'd have burnt off 15 units.........(roughly 7.5 pints of less volatile lager or 5 pints of strong lager).....so depending on what went in, you might be o.k.

i await someone far more clever than i to shoot me down in flames and i accept the figures are an average and therefore not that reliable