Citroen C1 - Water pump replacement as a precaution? - daveym83128

Hi,

I have acquired my mums old Citroen C1 to get to work following a change of job. It's going to be used around town to get to work (only 5 miles each way but the bus takes FOREVER!) and probably get a decent motorway/A road run at weekends.

I understand the water pump is a common weakness on these. Do I replace it as a matter of precaution? Or will I likely get warning signs before it fails? If it "goes" would it be a disaster or would I be able to stop and switch off without any further damage occurring?

Car seems to be running nicely, no grinding noises like I've read about in the case of pump failure. Coolant level is fine and it's never over heated.

Just seems a pricey thing to replace if there's no set mileage in the service schedule for replacement.

For the record it's a 55 plate with 75k miles. Clutch has already been done before anyone points out thats another weak point. ;)

Citroen C1 - Water pump replacement as a precaution? - gordonbennet

Failure on the road wouldn't be like an oil low pressure light coming on, unless you continued to drive with it low on water no other damage should result, chances are you could complete your journey by topping it up a couple of times in most cases.

Yours may never go, and it wouldn't be too dramatic if it fell apart being 2.5 miles max from either destination.

Citroen C1 - Water pump replacement as a precaution? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would consider replacing the pump at that mileage.I have seen many of these with failed water pump followed by head gasket problems because they have been driven with no coolant.There is no temp gauge on these ,just a warning light.Ususally when this illuminates it is "game over" for the engine.

Citroen C1 - Water pump replacement as a precaution? - daveyjp

A 55 reg may well have the old style water pump, but unless you know different it may have already been changed. If you google I'm sure you'll find photos of old and new to compare.

When the one on our 56 reg Aygo started failing the giveaway was pink coolant around the water pump, but as I do lift the bonnet on our cars I noticed it early.

The part isn't that expensive and its a relatively easy job to do.

Citroen C1 - Water pump replacement as a precaution? - Gibbo_Wirral

Shouldn't it have already been done with the cambelt?

I should have specified its a petrol model so chain rather than belt.

Daveyjp - is it easy enough to check?

I do check fluids frequently anyway so I'd notice a loss of coolant. I'm more concerned at the idea of it going whilst on a long run. But if its not something that is likely to just spontaneously die I'm loathe to throw 200 quid at a car worth a grand "just in case".