Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel Tyres - Silly economising - oldroverboy.

Friend bought an XF a few months backand has covered 7000ish miles and the tyres (which were only about 4.5mm) are now down almost to the tread wear indicators. I noticed this the other day when we met after a while and suggested he replace ASAP, but he is going to wait a bit.

Daft or what, and he can afford the new piteelis he wants at £151 a corner....

Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel Tyres - Silly economising - Cyd
Daft or what,

No not daft, Stupid!

Unfortunately most of the motoring public can't see tyres as an investment in safety, but rather as an irksome and un-neccessary expense. Next time you're walking across a supermarket car park take a look at front tyres as you go. You may be shocked.

Tyres are near the top of the heap for reasons for MoT failures generally.

Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel Tyres - Silly economising - gordonbennet

I see some really shabby tyres about on some expensive cars, its the first thing i look at on a possible purchase and often sees me get back in my car and drive away if i don't like what i find, wheels and visible brakes included in that swift initial look.

Makes you wonder how many accidents there would be given how hard these fast modern cars are driven in the wet if the electronic traction controls were turned off, using older RWD's without any form of traction soon sorts your tyre priorities..:-)

Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel Tyres - Silly economising - brum

Makes me chuckle when I see an expensive blinged up car fitted with Chinese budget tyres.

Which makes you chuckle more Brum?, wheelspin in the wet..car going nowhere fast, or the sideways or ploughing straight on slides..going somewhere the driver hadn't intended..:-)

What tickles me is that a few hours later we went to a Wine shop and he bought 4 bottles of Bollinger...

i just got two bottles of a nice french white to go with supper.

I can imagine with his driving style the slip-sliding away bit could happen..

Bit of rain after a few days on these dry roads..

Quite ORB, had to reverse those XF's up the decks many hundreds of times, in the wet they were skittish as hell, with stupid size tyres and track nearly as wide as the decks it was bit hair raising, i suspect they would be a right handful on poor rubber with the traction electronics on piece work trying to keep up.

Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel Tyres - Silly economising - RT

What tickles me is that a few hours later we went to a Wine shop and he bought 4 bottles of Bollinger...

i just got two bottles of a nice french white to go with supper.

I can imagine with his driving style the slip-sliding away bit could happen..

Bit of rain after a few days on these dry roads..

There are many things in life where I choose the budget option - gives me the money for indulgences and essential safety.

There are many things in life where I choose the budget option - gives me the money for indulgences and essential safety.

But he will buy the Pirelli P zeros!

Just not yet!

Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel Tyres - Silly economising - RT

I replace tyres when they're down to 3mm tread - the sooner the US and EU regulators made that the global limit instead of 1.6mm, the better

Jaguar XF 3.0 diesel Tyres - Silly economising - Brit_in_Germany

Maybe his car is one of those where Jaguar are giving the lucky owners a fresh set of tyres under a recall. If he is on 18" tyres then there is an exchange programme presumably because the factory fitted tyres were less economical than those used for the CO2 figures.