Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - King Clueless

Hi
I’m sure many will quite rightly say this is one I just have to sort in my own head but in brief my dilemma is – I’m looking to spend up to £15k on a car. I need big boot – 520+ litres.
Should I buy a higher mileage ‘quality’ car (ie – 2011, Merc 220cdi estate, 60k miles, FMSH, £15k) or go for a low mileage ‘cheaper’ car – ie 2013, Kia Sportage 27k miles, FSH and Kia warranty to 2020 – £14k )?
I don’t do many miles – about 5-8k a year.
My head says go with the ‘quality’ car – 60k is nothing for a Merc. My more sensible head says – go with a Skoda Octavia/Superb estate – it’s not as if I’m dong 20k plus miles a year….
Stupid query I know but if anyone has an opinion – I’m all ears.

Ta

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - RT

I've thought for many years that reputations of reliability are bunkum - the good ones reputationally aren't really any better than the bad ones reputationally - it's all pot-luck as they can all go wrong - but a "reputable" quality brand will cost more to fix.

Of those you list, I'd go for a Superb petrol estate.

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - 659FBE

See my post above on towcars.

As the owner of an ancient ('05) diesel Superb, its build quality and utility are not in question. For me, it has been an absolute bargain.

The Superb falls down very badly compared with a vehicle from M-B in terms of perceived value/status. This matters hugely to many owners and has allowed the latter organisation to provide goods and service to the public which come nowhere near to my required standards of value for money.

In my view, to get the best from any car, take some time to ascertain its weaknesses (eg. Superb - rainwater ingress) and either fix them or get a suitably intelligent and motivated Independent to do it. The same applies to routine servicing. Main dealers do not meet my requirements of general competence and value for money.

You might still hanker after that three-pointed star though - their marketing psychology is erm - Superb. Just watch your bank account. I'll manage happily without.

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - Warning

You may be better off leasing a car. Rather then spend £15k in one lump sum, you will have monthly payments spread over years. You can change your car every 2 years. Hunt around, for whoever is giving your the best deal. It is not for everyone.

With used cars it is a gamble.

A car which has caught my eye, is the Civic Tourer. HJ has rated it 5/5. There are not many around, but I like it (have not test drive it)

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - brum

Recently I read a review of the new E class and got carried away with the journalists descriptions of "sublime" ride etc and of course the seventy something mpg (yeah i bet....). But then came to the summary describing the servicing costs as "reasonable" at £1700 for 3 years. At that point I switched off.

First thing I look at when buying a car is ease of diy servicing, which boils down to how easy to change oil, filter and spark plugs. It costs me about £15 to change oil and filter using top quality oil and MANN OE filters.

Recent experience of removing a ridiculously overtightened screw on filter fitted by a dealer with damaged sealing ring convinces me that an engine is safer in my hands than theirs.

Only other comment is that I have learned the hard way to avoid cars that have things that are newly introduced, for instance make sure the engine variant has been in production for at least 3 years in the car youre buying. New designs nowadays have so many design faults that the owner pays the price in later life. Typical examples are poor camchain and cambelt drives underspecified components and plain poor quality. Run out models have certain advantages.

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - Wolfan

I wouldn't want any of them but I have always prefered to buy an an older better quality car and have never been disappointed.

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - barney100

Mercs have a reputation for being mega expensive to service. A good indie will keep costs well down on main dealers and the Merc owner's club offers advice on all aspects of running one. Other car makes have cost me more in costs than Mercedes.

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - gordonbennet

Out of all the Mercs the E220cdi can, if serviced and driven well, cover massive mileages cheaply with not much if anything going wrong, not sure if the mileage here will keep the emissions stuff happy though.

The answer to the question of which is better bet we really won't know with the DPF generation cars for a few more years yet, will more recent Superbs live up to the well deserved reputations of the PD generation, will newer Hyundais last years trouble free like Sonata did or will both of them be poor replacements of what went before.

This thread could as so often have had the answer Sonata/Magentis estate, they missed a trick there, squared off proper estates and not the coupe style hatchbacks which the modern lifestyle 'tourer' has morphed into.

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - RobJP

I will just say that, for your mileage (5-8k per annum) a modern diesel (all since 2011) is a terrible choice. DPF/EGR problems - and considerable expense - will happen. Sooner rather than later.

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - madf

If your journeys involve lots of parking in confined spaces, a big long estate is a recipe for pain.

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - DirtyDieselDogg

on the other hand DtD were offering Citroen Berlingo, or the Peugeot equivalent 100BHP 1.6 Diesels for a staight £13,000.00, plenty room without excessive length.

Merc EClass estate vs Skoda/Kia/Hyundai - Buying help - "Quality" car vs "cheaper" car - ike2

I had exactly this dilemma last year. I had always wanted a "quality" car but never had the money to buy a half decent one - until now.

Like you I looked at a newish Merc estate as I needed one for carrying the dog but didn't need a diesel as I only do @10k miles per year. I was doing all right with the Merc until I saw the servicing and running costs and figured that the money was better off in my pocket than in the pocket of the local main dealer.

In the end I bought a year old Toyota Auris Sport Tourer Hybrid for £14k. It is large enough, just, for your needs and came with the balance of the 5 year warranty. Running costs are much cheaper than the Merc and annual servicing is reasonable too at £229 fixed price annual service at my local main dealer. If the car is good enough for HJ's dad.........