Best SUV/4x4? - Dingle232

We have just bought a place up North for weekends and holidays. At the moment I have a 14 plate 320d Touring which is a great car but am considering changing for an SUV/4WD type due to the elevated driving position which I find very useful on narrow lanes and also general robustness. My crap driving has already seen me nearly trash the wheels in potholes.... :-)

I haven't made the decision yet as I want to make sure I am doing the right thing and would lose the BMW with a heavy heart. However it's also out of warranty next year and it's always been on my mind to move it on then as I'm wary (without any justification I may add) of big repair/servicing bills when it's out of warranty. I have had a couple of niggles with it, nothing major, with the biggest pain being to get the dealer to have a look at it within 3 weeks!

I've looked at a few at around the £20k mark and have seen a nice 64 plate RAV 4 which would be pretty much a straight swap and the dealer has offered 4 years free servicing as part of the deal so that's tempting. I havent driven it yet so jury still out on that one but as a former Toyota owner I'm swayed by the long term reliability and lower running costs they offer.

Any views on whether it's a good option based on that or am I better hanging on the the BMW for a couple of years? It's taken a much bigger than expected depreciation hit since I bought it (second hand) at £8k less than the purchase cost in just under a year.

Otherwise are there any other worthy SUV type contenders that are reliable, economical (diesel and auto are must haves with AWD high on the list also)? I looked at:

Ford Kuga

Skoda Yeti

VW Tiguan

The appeal of the Toyota is that it has a lot of kit on it and is pretty much premium spec.

Sorry for the somewhat long post but just looking for views on which is the best move given that there's little/no cost involved.

Thanks in advance.

Best SUV/4x4? - RT

The Hyundai/Kia models benefit from 5/7 year warranties so attractive to buy used - the Tucson/Sportage or the larger Santa Fe/Sorento depending how big a car you need - with the right tyres the Santa Fe is a very capable soft-road SUV.

Yeah I have seen those - not in love with them really but the warranty is attractive.

Best SUV/4x4? - RobJP

What size wheels do you currently have on the 320d ?

If you've not got the MSport brakes (blue calipers) then you can go to a 16" wheel. Whilst not aesthetically beautiful, they're a lot less susceptible to damage than larger wheels.

I cringe whenever SWMBO drives our 325d tourer. She seems to find every pothole possible, and it's on big 19" wheels. She's not managed to break any -yet ! - though we've had the car 2.5 years.

Best SUV/4x4? - bazza

The RAV would be my choice too, although would it not be worth checking out the Honda CRV and maybe a Subaru Forester? Although the RAV has grown substantially, it's still an appealing vehicle, backed up by Toyota's reputation and build.

Rob - I sympathise but am guilty. Mine has 18 inch wheels and they are diamond cut so not cheap to repair either. It's a difficult choice to make as there's nothing wrong at all with the 320 (apart from said niggles) and they do drive so well. However I am a bit of a risk averse kinda bloke and the end of ots warranty coincides with the likely sale date of the company I work for next year and I may/may not have a job at that point.

Even though you could consider this stretching all manner of possibilities and being glass half empty, were that to happen I'd be really concerned about potential BMW escque bills plus the car would be worth less. I could take that option and it be ok however.

Conversely I ould use its value today and change to something that will likely be cheaper to maintain and, hopefully, have great longevity. You'll understand my dilemma.

Bazza - I agree with you and am a long term previous Toyota owner with zero problems.

Best SUV/4x4? - jthan

I changed from a C200 estate to a new RAV4 (petrol) two years ago and am very happy with it. The trim is much poorer, of course, but the construction is simpler and I have every confidence in it. So far, I have had no faults at all. It has a great big boot, which is ideal for holiday luggage (far better than the C's, except in load length) and a really roomy back seat that my elderly parents can climb into with relative ease.

What I would warn, though, is that it's not a dynamic car. I drive it a good 10mph slower on the motorway. I also found the width difficult for quite a while - much more difficult to place than the C. You will doubtless find the same moving from a 3 series.

So I would echo the advice to get a (motorway) test drive before you decide.

But would I choose the same again? Yes (so far).

Best SUV/4x4? - Avant

I can't remember when Toyota moved to a 5-year warranty. If this RAV-4 is covered for 5 yeats, that will be a strong point in its favour.

Otherwise the Ford Kuga is well worth a look, particularly if you find the RAV-4 a bit pedestrian after the 3-series.

I can't remember when Toyota moved to a 5-year warranty. If this RAV-4 is covered for 5 yeats, that will be a strong point in its favour.

Otherwise the Ford Kuga is well worth a look, particularly if you find the RAV-4 a bit pedestrian after the 3-series.

This one is covered Avant so warranty to 2019 and servicing free until 2020. It will undoubtedly be more pedestrian but not many wouldnt I guess. However with that deal on offer it's sounding more like common sense.

One thing that is concerning me is the fuel economy given that it's the 2.2 D-4D Auto. The Real MPG numbers are not great.

Well, after a day's head scratching I have two offers of a like for like swap with the BMW subject to my driving them. Neither include servicing.

However, I am beginning to think it's probably not worth it as the running costs for the Toyota in terms of servicing, tax and mpg make it, by my rough estimation, about £800 a year more expensive to run.

Whilst not an SUV I stumbled across a nearly new Peugeot 308 today which would actually get me some cash back and looks a really nice car. That would be less annually to run but the depreciation would be much more and I am (perhaps unfairly) concerned about the reliability of it given the reputation that French cars had/have.

Anyone have experience of the new one and can comment?

Thanks for all the help by the way.

Best SUV/4x4? - Auristocrat

Toyota GB introduced the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty on cars first registered on 1st June 2010.

Other European markets retained the three year/100,000km new car warranty

Best SUV/4x4? - Avant

On reflection, I think if I were you I'd keep the BMW till the warranty expires and then look around. The 2-series Active Tourer hasn't, I'm told, been selling well, and so may lose its value quickly so that there could be a good deal to be had on a newish one next year. This has a higher driving position than your 3-series.

I'm a bit surprised that a RAV-4 would be that much more expensive to run: what happened to the free servicing deal that you mentioned in your original post?

Best SUV/4x4? - gordonbennet

Toyota might not fare favourably when compared to some others due to Mr T continuing to have nothing to do with the modern fad for extended service intervals.

If others were to up the servicing to Mr T levels of preventative maintenance then any difference in annual running costs would possibly narrow...major services at Toyota are more than an oil change and peer through the wheels event.

Depends what you think about servicing.

OP, would extending makers warranty for another year or maybe two and keeping the present car be an option?

gordonbennet - I wholly agree with you and, nice as the car is to me, the more exposure I get to BMW the more I learn that all may not be as it appears on the surface. I am always fastidious with servicing and despite the interval on it being at around 17k miles, I pay for an oil/filter change every 8 or 9 or so.

I concur that Toyota are far more thorough from previous experience.

The warranty issue may be an option but, again, knowing dealers' penchant for a quick dollar, am not sure what gets 'excluded' once you renew after 3 years. Probably nearly everything.....

Kewsea, as you've already taken steps to have your car sensibly serviced, i think you should explore the makers extra warranty carefully, looked after (given a good thorough annual under body wash, and now is an ideal time following a few wet days now all the salt has gone) and with your present servicing continued i suggest your present car has a heck of a lot more chance of lasting many many years trouble free than one of others not so well cared for.

Obviously much depends on the cost of the warranty...but if you look at it one way you're already £800 in pocket by not changing to Toyota, that will probably pay for the extra years warranty and you have a quality car you like.

Sounds like a win win to me, do that for a couple of years and then think again?

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/05/2016 at 11:14

Kewsea, as you've already taken steps to have your car sensibly serviced, i think you should explore the makers extra warranty carefully, looked after (given a good thorough annual under body wash, and now is an ideal time following a few wet days now all the salt has gone) and with your present servicing continued i suggest your present car has a heck of a lot more chance of lasting many many years trouble free than one of others not so well cared for.

Obviously much depends on the cost of the warranty...but if you look at it one way you're already £800 in pocket by not changing to Toyota, that will probably pay for the extra years warranty and you have a quality car you like.

Sounds like a win win to me, do that for a couple of years and then think again?

That's pretty much where my head is at right now to be honest as the decision needs to be made by my head not just the possibility of a shiny new car.

I 'think' an extended warranty is about £600 for a year which feels expensive to me but my guess is they'll want to keep my business so there may be a deal to be done.

Your point abut an underbody wash isn't something I had considered but makes perfect sense. I don't have access to a lift or ramps - are there places you can get this done?

Your point abut an underbody wash isn't something I had considered but makes perfect sense. I don't have access to a lift or ramps - are there places you can get this done?

I do my own, commercial pressure washing needs care, your car will have full underbody plastic covers so we're really talking about the front and rear suspension subframes wheelarches and lost importantly the brake calipers discs etc.

After a few hours driving in the wet is the ideal time, if you have good water pressure at home and an adjustable trigger spray/jet, its a wet job but with a bit of ingenuity with the steering wheels lock to lock especially you'll be surprised how much muck you can get off...though actually mud isn't the big issue here (except it stuffs the nooks and cranies and they stay damp for weeks on end)...its the road salt you want to get out as much as possible before it dries on and bakes in during the summer, this is why, exacerbated by poor brake servicing, some people end up with seizing and then new brake calipers after a short life and others last the life of the car foir over 20 years.

Or you could stick a garden sprinkler under now and again after a wet run, vary its position and let that do its thing, a combination of both would see it clean, don't forget to hose off round the radiators etc as lots of salt gets in there.

Yopu could drive each end up onto a couple of bricks or planks to make a bit of room.

I'll have you on my rustproofing course next..:-)

On reflection, I think if I were you I'd keep the BMW till the warranty expires and then look around. The 2-series Active Tourer hasn't, I'm told, been selling well, and so may lose its value quickly so that there could be a good deal to be had on a newish one next year. This has a higher driving position than your 3-series.

I'm a bit surprised that a RAV-4 would be that much more expensive to run: what happened to the free servicing deal that you mentioned in your original post?

Well so was I but both tax and servicing are more expensive and if you check out the 'Real MPG' numbers then I can probably expect a realistic 35 - 38mpg as opposed to 49 ish out of the 3. That's quite a difference over a year.

The RAV 4 was actually coming up as similar or slightly more expensive to insure also so, only from my crude figures, I reckoned on balance it's an increase of around £800/year to run.

Both of the ones I looked at were offering 'free' servicing when there was a small payment involved in my changing. Once I squeezed them to a straight swap that disappeared and, sadly for them probably meant that the deal became far less attractive because of the costs.

The 308 looks nice though clearly not an SUV as originally intended but you know how it os when you first start looking - that would be a good way to reduce running costs but there are the questions in my mind about reliability and depreciation being much higher.

I 'think' my decision is also to stick with the 3 series for now and change it just before it's 3 years old. That gives me more time to look, consider, save and not make a rash decision I may regret.

Best SUV/4x4? - TheBroker
The Tiguan is good and with good leasing prices it's a great deal too
The Qashqai is very popular but only manual in 4wd
The Kia Sportage is also a good deal but I wouldn't think the 4wd element is up to much more than a grassy field in the dry summer, the same would apply for the Hyundai ix35
Also look at the Q3 if you don't need anything too big
Good luck