Mazda6 a good idea ?? - Paul F
I am opting out of a company car,( tax reasons, lack of choice etc ) and am considering purchasing from new, a Mazda6 2.0. Has anyone any experience of these cars, good or bad ?.
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - DavidHM
The car is very highly rated - Mondeo style dynamics, Japanese reliability, and distincitive styling. It's too early to tell how well they'll hold their value but they seem quite popular so shouldn't be too bad at all for a mainstream car.

Have a look at the leasing rates on www.tins.co.uk for example, and see what sort of cars are also available. Most people on here say don't buy a new car, and to be honest, a one year old Mondeo or Primera 2.0 at £9000 leaves a lot of money for repairs and so on.

How are you funding the purchase? Also, how many miles a year do you do? If it's more than about 15,000 you'll probably find a diesel more economical.
Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated, purchase will be funded ( probably) by bank loan, the monthly allowance my company will give me will cover it, i'll just pay insurance & servicing in effect. Mileage will be less than 15K p/a so I should be ok there. Its all a bit daunting when you're used to being spoon fed motoring wise by a fleet manager.
Thanks again,
Paul
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - Vansboy
Main dealers starting to pre-register some 6's now. Not sure which spec they have too many of, but worth seeing if you can't get equal to 15% off list.
Also note, you say you'll get a 'monthly allowance'.Not sure what you mean there, but in Inland Revenue terms, they could consider it Benifit in Kind,thus taxing you on it!
I thought you had to get paid a recognised amount per mile, these days, to cover everything.
Mark
I'm going to see if local dealer will match what cars target price of £15,125 for the 2.0 ts2, but might push for more if they're pre-registering now, thanks for the info. Looking at it, i'll probably pay tax on what the company pay me, but i can claim fuel back at 24p/mile as well.
To stick with the company car means a vectra 2.2 LS. Whilst this may be a decent car in it's newest form, i've had 4 of the things previous to the Mondeo I have now, so it's probably time for a change, & at least I will own the new car as well.
Thanks
Paul
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - googolplex
I test drove one of these in the diesel form - I thought the whole package was excellent except for one thing - road noise which I considered would drive me bonkers after a few months of ownership. I would thoroughly recommend the diesel.

Splodgeface
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I have to say that the roadnoise is something i'd read about. I currently endure plenty of noise from a yr 2000 ( last of old shape) Mondeo, & if it is worse than that, it would drive me mad. Having a test drive tomorrow, keeping fingers crossed as i think the styling is superb.
Thanks
Paul
I came to my conclusion about the road noise prior to reading the reviews. However, maybe I was being a bit harsh in my previous post - road noise is definitely more noticeable and therefore a disappointment but whether that would stop me enjoying, I don't know. I went for a new Mondeo in the end.

Splodgeface
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - bazza
The Mazda 6 is a car that really takes my fancy. But I'm put off by hearsay that parts and servicing are extortionate. Anyone out there know if this is the case or not. If not I might go for one when 2 year used ones are around.
Baz
Splodgeface-you say you went for the new Mondeo...BUT,
The 6 is the NEW, new Mondeo,HJ commented, at the introduction of the 6, that it is the test-bed for the next re-incarnation of Mondeo!
Of course, in theory,there may be more irritating problems, to sort out on a car as new as this, but probably worth it.
It's a case of, do you think it's best to have the newest, latest model, with it's new niggles?
Or the last of the line, run out design, that they've probably got as good as they make it!
Mark
Splodgeface-you say you went for the new Mondeo...BUT,
The 6 is the NEW, new Mondeo,HJ commented, at the introduction
of the 6, that it is the test-bed for the next
re-incarnation of Mondeo!

Yes I am aware of this but, as you imply, I'd rather have a well-tested car than an experiment. In any case, I reckon that my 94 Cavalier was quieter (road noise-wise)than the Mazda and that to me was something of a problem. However, Mondeo-Mazda6 - both really good cars; I have to say that the Mondeo for me was the more complete package but hope I don't get to eat my words. I would have been happy ultimately with either car.

Splodgeface
test drove it this morning, it was a lovely car to drive & felt really well put together. I didn't think it was much noisier than the Mondeo I have @ the moment, but the mondeo is getting on a bit now, it's certainly noisier than a Vectra though. The dealer offered me a pre-reg. demonstrator registered in January 2003, with 2,000 miles on it, it is a black ts2 2.0 with all the usual bits for £15,000. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this would be a good buy, the dealer wouldn't match Whatcar's Target price on a new one, but the discount on the pre-reg sounds tempting, is this a sign of hefty depreciation. Any comments would be welcomed.
Paul
Assuming it hasn't got anything like leather or sat nav, I'd push for £14500. A car like this is going to lose value, now that it's no longer the current plate - but realistically, £7000 would be an excellent price for it in three years' time.

Going for a top spec model like this will give you high-ish depreciation, no matter what. You'll probably back get no more than a third of the premium over a 2.0S in 2006, if you choose to sell then.

I do like the car but if I were buying a car this size, and wanted a new one, I'd definitely have the 6 on my shortlist.

Mazda6 a good idea ?? - PhilDews
In response to comments about mileage rates, a figure of 24p per mile was mentioned. I am currently looking at buying a new car for myself and funding it partly using mileage rates. My company pay 32p per mile, but the taxman allows 40p per mile and here is the important part: You can claim back the difference between what your company pay (in your case 24p) and the 40p inland revenue rate upto 10,000 business miles per year. Over that and the tax free allowance drops to 25p per mile.

So there you have it - the taxman actually giving you money!
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - Martin Wall
Well a quick look at the usual car broker websites yields the following for a brand new, UK-supplied car (assuming it's the 5 door model) on a '03' plate:

www.drivethedeal.com
£15,507.88

www.broker4cars.co.uk
www.carfile.net
www.ukcarbroker.co.uk

- no price listed (need to email for a quote)

Given you have no trade-in I think I'd press the dealer for a bigger saving but probably worth getting a price from one or all of the above to see what sort of dicounts are available.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - davo
All in all, it sounds OK. As mentioned push for the best price you can, Mazda have some cheap rates about at for March so you might be able to get that on the ex-demo. When I went to have a look the deliveries are taking a while and discounts are about £500 ish. I suspect the discount boys will quote 6 months delivery on a Mazda, so if the car is available then let them have your Mondeo back. Having been turfed out of our scheme last year I can only say go for quality and reliability for peace of mind. The sums on mean you will be better off on paper but if you do as I did, buy my high miler ex-fleet car, you don't neccessarily feel better off and it is now a major headache for me. Also consider the fact that it is your own hard earned brass so treat yourself to something that you want and like as oppose to need.

Good luck.
thanks for the advice, I've now discounted the mazda, the noise long term will be a problem I fear.

Now looks like it's gonna be an Astra GSI or used Lexus I200.

As you say, go for what you want, not what you need.........
First 6 I've seen at auction will be released next week.Be interesting to see £££££ it makes.
Lexus currently offering 'Special' deals on PCP, for people in your position. 99V 54000miles, not nice, made £10950 last week, at auction.
Astra?, well don't forget it will soon be replaced with the new one with a modern? sharp bodyline, if we believe the sneak photos, that have been around.
So longer term, maybe not so good for future value.Thats if they couldn't be looking worse than now!!
Mark
I'd definitely get the Lexus in your position. I can't imagine that the Astra (a five year old design and a smaller car with a big turbo engine) is more refined than a 6.

Also the Lexus PCP deal is very good and well worth looking into if your budget allows it.

I take it you've ruled out the new Accord?
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - Dave_TD
Been trying to help my dad narrow down a choice of about 20 new/ nearly new compact execs, we keep coming back to the IS200.
HTH.

Dave.
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - peterb
I've got an IS200SE and it's fab.

Handling, gearbox, equipment and build are all excellent. Engine makes a nice noise and goes quite well if revved. I'd strongly recommend it.

Only downsides are: not the thickest paint, M-way road noise from great-looking 17" alloys, lack of low revs torque.

Happy hunting!
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - jud
When i looked into buying the 200 3 years ago, i considered the engine the weak link, poor economy (on government figures)poor power/torque from a six cylinder. Why do jap cars (with out turbos) seem to have poor torque and at high revs?
Mazda6 a good idea ?? - peterb
It's a fair point, but there are some things to note.

1. The IS200 6 cyl does free up with use and the odd "Italian tune-up"*
2. There's plenty of poke at high revs (153 bhp).
3. You get used to the top-endiness and drive accordngly
4. The revvy engine encourages use of the ultra-slick 6 speed 'box!
5. If you're really keen, you can fit a supercharger from Toyota Team Europe!!!!

Economy isn't that bad. I don't measure mpg closely, but I would guess it's only a little worse than my old 2 litre Avensis. Inevitably, 6 cyls are going to drink more than 4.

* drive at 70 in 3rd gear for a mile or two.