Kia Venga 1.4 isg - 3 months an owner and 2500 miles - oldroverboy.

Initially bought for the higher seating position, which is excellent, and seats are fine, but armrest near on useless, so leave them out of the way.

Bags of seating room in the back and adjustable rear seats too! 2 + 3 adults or 2 + 3 kids great and a good size boot.

Fuel economy every bid as bad as on the Kia forums, about 30mpg urban and up to 38 going A12-A14 Colchester - Cambridge,Addenbrookes mostly dual carriageway.

But, it is a sit up and beg brick airflow wise, but not concerned about mpg/

Where it excels is that during recent house renovations it has moved masses of stuff, bags of room in there!

For the price and the kia warranty including a 3 year service pack, overall well pleased.

All in all a good bit of kit.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 02/05/2016 at 08:32

Kia Venga 1.4 isg - 3 months an owner and 2500 miles - Avant

Many thanks for the update, ORB: reports like this are always interesting and much appreciated.

A 1.4 sounds about the right size of engine for the Venga, so maybe it's aerodynamics (or lack of) that's causing the poor economy. Yet I can't help thinking that it ought to be better than mine (2 litres, 217 bhp, and 32-34 mpg in town, 40-42 on long runs, even the 25-mile trip to Salisbury which isn't that long).

Kia Venga 1.4 isg - 3 months an owner and 2500 miles - KB.

Is it only me that thinks Hyundai and Kia don't excel in their engines and transmissions? Not that I know about the "posher" models, further up the range, but lower down I've compared them to competitors...e.g. their 1.2 Kappa versus VAG's 1.2 TSi. And the old fashioned 4 speed auto. gearbox still languishes in the i10 and i20 despite them introducing more recent incarnations of both models. It might be smooth and (to date) has been reliable in my own case over a modest 12,000 miles...but it slows the car down terribly and returns the mpg that I've spoken about enough times as to warrant not repeating it again as well as increasing emissions (and thus taxation brackets) into, what these days, look dinosaur like.

Edited by KB. on 02/05/2016 at 16:46

That's interesting, KB. Some of us have been recommending automatic i10s and i20s to people who need a small automatic, on the grounds that they're likely to be more reliable over time than the VW Group dry-clutch DSG, or any of the other semi-developed semi-automatics that are on the market.

I suspect the problem is that a torque-converter automatic is never going to be a ball of fire in any car with less than 2 litres under the bonnet.

Kia Venga 1.4 isg - 3 months an owner and 2500 miles - oldroverboy.

Having a look on the Kia forums reveals very few engine/gearboxx problems, with just a few clutch problems on the smaller engines. (drivers?)

I for one am happy to go down the reliable route, and the car isn't all that bad looking.

If it does what I want its ok.

Re. the two previous posts... indeed, I was really just saying, not that there were reliability issues, but that ( in my experience) the 4 speed auto in my i10 saps any enthusiasm from what the 1.2 Kappa engine might be trying to offer and that 32mpg is what I, and quite a few others, apparently, consistently get from the thing. It is often noted that the i20 gets a better mpg return than the i10...which defies logic, but seems to be the case. And additionally the CO2/tax bracket figures for the cars I speak of are definitely not competetive - which is a bit of a shame as I would like to swap my five year old i10 auto. for something else but haven't, yet, found the ideal combination of factors and another i10 might have done the job but I resent the inefficiency of the auto box which they've retained despite the facelift.

I've been round and round looking at all the likely candidates but the magic formula hasn't stood out above the rest. Yet.

I think I'm trying to be too clever...I would like to buy something small and automatic with an annual tax bill of £30 or less (i.e. band C VED) - BEFORE the new tax regime comes in next year...and I'm sure the ideal motor will be produced in the foreseeable future but it's not here yet and might not arrive before the aforementioned tax hike. The advent of more efficient auto. boxes will spread, I'm sure, as the push for lower emmissions continues.

At the moment a Yaris CVT Icon 1.33 is a possibility due to the fact that it's VED band (C) and mpg are satisfactory, plus the 5 yr warranty and presumed reliabilty plus it has most of the toys I'd like to see and comes in a colour I (we) like. But, truth be told, it's all of little significance really, but it keeps me amused and out of trouble :-)

Edited by KB. on 03/05/2016 at 13:20

It depends on how small is 'small' and what your budget is, but the Yaris certainly seems to make most sense.

I don't know what your view is about DSG (in a Fabia or Polo) , but there'll be less loss of performance with one of these, and extending the warranty to 5 years is comparatively cheap for Skodas, and I presume also for VWs.

Other possibilities - Jazz with CVT, Volvo V40, or Fiesta with Powershift: I'm not sure what engines you can have with these.

Well, Avant... small (in my wife's estimation - and, to an extent, it's her domain) means no bigger than the i10. That narrows it down considerably! But I'm assuming I can allow some flexibility in that regard. The Yaris is probably just about permissible but the Jazz is longer still and a good bit dearer too (although I have complete trust in the brand and in my local Honda dealer). The extension of warranty on a Fabia is £305 for 2 yrs.

Budget is flexible but would like a degree of common sense to prevail and not throw more than necessary down the drain (which is what we do when we keep buying new cars, is it not?).

Had you forgotten my repeated assertions that the 7 speed DSG in my 1.2 Yeti finds much favour? :-) I absolutely love the car and it's gearbox (but have a slight degree of uncertainty over what would happen if the (replaced under warranty) clutch pack started juddering again, or worse - the mechatronic unit went wrong. The question of extended warranty here has been raised and covered here and elsewhere (Briskoda) at much length.

Fiesta has been pondered over but I'm trying to get something not too low (the i10 is slightly taller and our 5 year old Yeti height is just right for us and a B Max would be OK height-wise but is a bit longer than is ideal to fit the criteria at around 4.77 metres). The Powershift would likely fit the bill but I read as much about troublesome Powershifts as I do about troublesome DSGs...however having had a new clutch-pack under warranty our DSG is trouble free and a Powershift might be the same. With a Fiesta you can have an automatic 3 pot one litre Turbo Boost but a B Max with an auto. box is 1.6 only.

V40 fulfill the desire to have something with a decent NCAP record but otherwise is too low, too long and too dear (don't really want to spend too much as I might swap the Yeti in the foreseeable). Another conundrum...but we'll not go there right now).

The Swift is short and has decent NCAP and isn't expensive and the Mrs. quite approves of it's looks but exceeds my attempts to get something VED group C if you have the auto model.

Like I say, I can't quite find the exact right one to fit all my self imposed criteria. In fact I now believe it doesn't exist (especially as I really wanted electrically folding morrors too)...but my search is hardly a matter of great significance in the grand scheme of things - and it keeps me off the streets :-)

Thanks for suggestions - if I've overlooked anything I'll be pleased to know.

The Yaris does come very close and attracts a broker discount of £2,300 as we speak The local dealer might not see things that way though and, ideally, I would like to PX the i10 to save the hassle of tyre kickers plus the convenience of swapping the personal plate over. No folding mirrors but it has a spare wheel (did I say that was another requirement?)...I'm not fussy am I? :-)

Edited by KB. on 03/05/2016 at 21:08