2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - 2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - SalimShady

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying a 2012 Passat Highline with a 7 speed DSG, This car is everything i want but it has a DSG gearbox instead of a normal auto. What are your thoughts.

Thanks

Salim

2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - 2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - oldroverboy.

Don't!

readthe hj review srction and google "problems vw dsg with the model"

NO AFTERMARKET WARRANTY. will cover it, and expensive to fix.

No VW Goodwill, don't even think of it.

2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - 2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - DirtyDieselDogg

But if the purchase price reflects the horrendous reputation (whether absolutly deserved or not?)

surely "worth a punt"

With eyes wide open, and sufficient funds held in reserve.

Anyway, surely local independants have started to get their heads around this long-established DSG transmission, its known foibles, & their cures/ cost effective repair or replacment.

Me I ud worry more about fuelling a 1.8 petrol!

regards

M

Ps

currently got 91,000 and counting on a dry 7 speed DSG, & aiming for 200,000 +

bye-the-bye, I got an urgent ph call this evening, some mix-up over a trailer not being delivered.

Wor 1.6TDI DSG Octavia with 91,000 miles on, collected said trailer, towed it up a moderately steep bitmac lane over a couple of speed-bumps, with only one brief tyre "scrabble" then effortlessly manouvered it (with quite a bit of "backing-and forwarding" in around steel stanchions in a dutch barn, though the trailer tyres did scrub blackish marks on the surface.

Tailer weighed exactly 3000kg,(a couple, literally a couple of kg under or over the 3000kg) since I had it weighed last week.

Which is near-enough exactly twice wot she, the humble Octavia bes rated to tow.

With quite impeccable DSG behaviour throughout, never pulling more than 3000revs in D2 when going up the hill, before changing up through D3 and D4.

Only engaging D1 when pulling away.

PS.

I been driving the Steyr Puch Van all day, and had only got the Octavia back after a bit of TLC to a wee scrape, I just couldnt be bothered driving the 4 miles back to collect the Steyr Puch was all.

marcus

Edited by DirtyDieselDogg on 29/04/2016 at 22:16

2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - 2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - SalimShady

Wow!!!!...Impressive 3D...whats your secret....because i've heard the scare storys about DSG's especially the 7 Speed....its going for £9k...i'm assuming you also have a passat????

2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - 2012 1..8 Passat 7 Speed DSG - Avant

If you mean DDD, he says he has an Octavia, but Passats are mechanically the same.

SalimShady,

Not to mislead you, I had DSG "issues", which despite a long (i.e. 3 continuious months in a Skoda dealership) and very expensive repair, changed absolutly nowt.

Transmission still dropped out of gear without warning when manouvering on an incline.

A software issue I was and still am quite sure, because it occured in a few other vehicles of the same transmission type as well.

Other than that I love this gearbox.

After 91,000 I have learned to live with this idosyncracy, now mostly quite subconsciously, because I have now realized what my left leg is not for.

I might even purchase another DSG equipped vehicle, with eyes wide open.

PS

Another contributor on the Briskoda forum, put 400,000 k, without issue or gremlins, on a wet 6 speed DSG in a Passat I believe.

Again, one mostly only hears the horror stories.

marcus