Ford Focus - steering wheel vibration - eustace

On February 10th, I had my car over at a Ford delaer for a Cam belt / water pump change and MOT test.

When I received the car back, I found that one of the tyres (front driver side) was different. It was a Michelin Cinturato P7, while the other 3 tyres were Good Year Efficient Grip (that I had replaced as a set). When I queried this with the service manager he investigated and told me that the driver who collected the car from my home had had a puncture, and had changed the tyre without informing the service department (but using a new original tyre from their parts department.) I was unhappy that a different brand / type of tyre from the other 3 were used, but the service manager apologized and said that they did not stock Good Year tyres.

It was a week after that that I used the car on the motorway. At speeds above 65 MPH, I noticed a strong vibration from the steering wheel. I took the car to another garage, who rebalanced the new wheel that was fitted, and they told me that the wheel was badly out of balance.

After driving the car I noticed that the vibration had significantly reduced, but there was still a slight vibration. So a couple of weeks later, I had the other front tyre (passenger side) also rebalanced and air pressure checked and equalised on all wheels.

This has further reduced the vibration and now there is a barely perceptible vibration between 65 - 75 mph. I can barely feel it, but if I lift my hands from the steering wheel (by about an inch, keeping safety in mind), I can see a small shake on the steering wheel. This does not happen at lower speeds.

I have spoke to the service manager at Ford, about these issues and have updated him on e-mail regarding what happened. He just apologised and said that we will look after you properly, the next time you are here.

On reading about this problem on the Internet, I understand that steering wheel vibrations (when not under braking), can be caused because of the following wheels.

1) Unbalanced wheels

2) bent / not perfectly round, rims

3) steering linkage / component issues

4) suspension issues

5) wheel bearing issues.

Given that I just had both front wheels balance and tyre pressures equalised, what should my next steps be.

Can I rule out steering / suspension issues because the steering wheel shake is only happening at certain speeds, or should I get those investigated?

How difficult is it to diagnose the above problems.

I understand that suspension issues is diagnosed bu pushing down on the corners of the car, and see if the car keeps bouncing. And wheel bearing issues are diagnosed by raising the car on jacks and checking whether thwere is any shake / paly on the wheels.

How are steering linkage issues diagnosed?

Should I just swap the front wheels with the rear wheels and see if the steering wheel shake still exists?

If it cures the problem, perhaps that would isolate the problem as a bent rim. Or should I get the steering linkages / suspensions / wheel bearing all checked?

Any advice appreciated.....

Edited by eustace on 15/04/2016 at 12:19

Ford Focus - steering wheel vibration - gordonbennet

I'd swap the front with the back as you suggest, and whilst you have the front wheels on the back give them a good spin up by hand and look carefully for anything out of true with the wheel, you'll also see doing this if the tyre is running true.

Whilst you have the front wheels off have a good look at the front suspension and steering arms, i'm of the opinion that the 'puncture' was more likely a kerb or pot hole strike, if it was just a simple puncture they would have not only fixed it but billed you for it citing that the nail (foreign object) was already in.

Hopefully its just a case that its a slightly out of true tyre that might need remounting, if you find the tyre or wheel is distorted you can take it up with the garage.

I suggest you doing this yourself because you are then up to date with whats been moved where and can keep track.

Its is possible to block the car up start it and run the vehicle in gear with the front wheels off the ground and watch the current wheels in situ, you could also see if the drive shafts are running true like this, but it's not something for the non experienced DIYer to do in all honesty for obvious reasons (no offence meant if you are in fact a very handy chap and feel confident), hence my suggestion to swap front to back and spin them by hand...swapping might cure the problem anyway.

ps double check the new tyre is the right size first, wouldn't be the first time its happened.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/04/2016 at 12:37

Ford Focus - steering wheel vibration - Peter.N.

It could be that one or more tyres is out of round due to ply seperation, they will balance OK but at high revs the tyre can change shape. Swap the tyres round as GB suggests and note the effect.

You could have two tyres slightly out of balance but that will cause the vibration to come and go as the tyres go in and out of phase with one another.

Ford Focus - steering wheel vibration - galileo

If the vibration is worst between 65/75 mph this may be due to some unbalance triggering a resonant frequency in the front steering/suspension system. Worth checking trackrod ends/suspension bushes for wear?

Ford Focus - steering wheel vibration - Ben 10
A warped disc can cause vibrations to steering.

Isn't this a warning for those garages that come and pick up your car and deliver it back as a courtesy option. You don't know how the thing is being driven or what happens to it there and back.

Ford Focus - steering wheel vibration - eustace

Thanks all for your replies, particulalrly GordonBennett for your detailed reply.

I have had the front and rear wheels swapped at an independent garage. They also did a visual check of the front suspensions and the steering arms. They said that the suspensions and steering arms looked ok.

After having swapped the tyres, I am unable to tell if it has made a significant difference, as I was only able to briefly take it out on the motorway. It seems that there is still a slight shake on the steering wheels, not only between 65 - 75 mph, but also at lower speeds. However I am not sure whether these shakes are caused by road surface aberrations or is intrinsic to the car.

I am unable to percieve any significant vibration on the steering wheel by feel, but can observe a small shake at times, as mentioned above.

I am also not sure whether I am now over reacting or being over sensitive, and that some amount of steering wheel shake is normal.

Or it may be possible that this steering wheel shake has been there for some time, but I have only observed it now as a result of having experienced the strong vibration that was caused by the unbalanced wheel, and thus am now specifically looking out for it.

I have decided to keep observing it for some more time. Given that the garage said that the suspension and steering arms look ok, the other possible problem that may need to be diagnosed is wheel bearing / hub issues.

Also I am wondering whether to get a wheel alignment / tracking done, since it has been about 18 months since this was last done. But some websites state that tracking will have no connection to steering wheel shake / vibration...

Ford Focus - steering wheel vibration - gordonbennet

If the vibration seems to come and go, that possibly points to PeterN's post, where there might be slight out of balance or tyre distortion which doesn't really get noticed till two wheels come into phase (excellent way to put that Peter) and then after a while they'll go out of phase and back to feeling ok.

Never mind, you've had it checked and nothing glaringfly obvious, thanks for coming back to us, so many posters who get help (probably need help asking us lot :-) here vanish never to be seen again and we haven't a clue if they ever saw the replies or thought we were crackers or were kidnapped and still being held ransom.

Ford Focus - steering wheel vibration - Galaxy

If you can still find somewhere that can do it, then you may well solve the problem by getting the front wheels balanced on the car.

I've used this method in the past to deal with wheel balance problems that couldn't seem to be solved any other way.

Edit...............If you can't find somewhere that can balance the wheels on the car then I suggest you get the front wheels rebalanced but make absolutely sure they use stick-on weights, not weights clipped onto the wheel rim. It does make a considerable difference.

Edited by Galaxy on 17/04/2016 at 16:57

Ford Focus - steering wheel vibration - galileo

There's balancing and really meticulous balacing: not everywhere will take the trouble to achieve 100% static and dynamic balance, so may consider 98% is good enough, which it may be in most cases.

Some cars are more sensitive to balance than others, too.