Vauxhall Mokka 1.4 Turbo - Vauxhall Mokka Tyre Pressures - Tubbyrincewind

I am seeking the wisdom of fellow forum members on a query I cannot satisfy myself on the best answer, so here goes:

Beginning of March I took delivery of a new Vauxhall Mokka supplied on the Motability scheme (I falling apart at the seams), I have had an electric hoist fitted to assist with loading/unloading my mobility scooter.

I love the car with the exception of the ride which I find a bit too firm for my liking (it sits on 18" wheels), the owners guide gives a range of tyre pressures from 41 psi for economy and full load down to 32 psi for comfort. I have dropped the pressure down to 36psi from 41 and that has made a big difference but I would ideally like to drop some more.

Query is: because the mobility scooter weighs 50kg and then the weight of the hoist (don't know it's weight but it looks very substantial and chuffin heavy) what would you advise for the lowest tyre pressure to safely go for.

Thanks for any replies.

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4 Turbo - Vauxhall Mokka Tyre Pressures - Engineer Andy

Most cars have two tyre pressure levels - 'normal', with likely up to 2/3 people in the car and nothing in the boot, and 'fully laden' with 5 people and a boot full of luggage or other heavy items.

An average person weighs between 50 - 75kg (roughly translated into 'old money' as 8st - 12st), so your scooter is the equivalent of one person, though the vast majority of its weight will be distributed over the rear axle, probably the equivalent of two people sitting on the back (where some weight is distributed over the front axle as well as [mainly] over the rear).

Given you are also carrying the hoist, which may be, say, 15-20kg by itself, you may wish to pump the rear tyres up a bit above the 'normal' pressures if its just you in the car, maybe to 33 - 35 (assuming the 'normal' tyre pressure is 32psi all around), and possibly the fronts by 1psi. You may need to adjust this if/when you carry more passengers (depending upon where they sit), but its probably best to generally make the changes in small increments to see how you get on - especially where handling (you don't want the rear to be too 'light', particularly in the wet) and tyre wear (uneven tyre wear should be avoided for safety reasons) are concerned.

To be honest, having smaller wheels/higher profile tyres is often the answer (I don't know whether you had the option to have 17in or 16in equivalents on your car when you bought it), though swapping out one set of tyres for another with a softer compound (HJ likes the all-weather Michellins) can help to a degree as well, though they won't last as long as they wear quicker due to the compound. It might (if you don't want to change wheels and tyres or can't afford to, given you've just bought it and have 4 perfectly sound new tyres) be worth considering these options when you do need to change tyres down the line, if the tyre pressure changes work to some degree, but not enough in the long term.

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4 Turbo - Vauxhall Mokka Tyre Pressures - slkfanboy

Your assumption on the extra weight is correct. The correct tyre pressure is ok on the min., but you can add presure if it a bit bouncy, you cant really go below the min.

The issue IMHO is the 18" wheels in a relatively small/medium size car. While they might look good, they will give you a hard ride. The more correct solution is drop down to 17" or evan 16" rims. I guess you currently on 215/55/18 so something 215/60/17 would provide a smooth ride .

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4 Turbo - Vauxhall Mokka Tyre Pressures - Tubbyrincewind

Thank you for your thoughts on this. Because this is a Motability vehicle I cannot choose/change wheels as I might well do if it were my own.

When the scooter is loaded it faces front to back (the back seats have to be lowered to get it in) so some weight is distributed towards the front. I think I will try 34 psi and see how it goes from there.

Odd how a Motorbility car supposedly designed/adapted to be use by disabled people (and I presume some of which suffer from sever back problems) comes with 18in ultra-low profile rims/tyres, when surely they should come with higher profile rims/tyres as standard (even if not 'old style' 80 profile 15in [or below] rims/tyres, then at least 65/60 profile 16in or 17in versions, which offer far more cushioning affect than 18in + versions.

Personally speaking, for a car to actually qualify as motorbility, it should come (or offer as a no-cost alternative and be actively offered to potential customers identified as being of benefit to) with such wheel/tyre options or make them standard and only offer the 18in+ as options with a 'health warning' about the effects of a hard ride, especially if the customer identifies themselves as suffering from back or similar problems that could be seriously affected by driving a car with a very firm/unforgiving ride.

Hopefully other makes are more amenable/proactive on this front the Vauxhall appear to be.

Vauxhall Mokka 1.4 Turbo - Vauxhall Mokka Tyre Pressures - industryman

Car tyre pressure specifications usually have a good safety margin (particularly for the lighter load recommendations) so the "comfort" pressures would probably be OK in this instance. However to have total confidence and to avoid problems with police/insurers etc in the event of an incident, a pressure increase might be advisable. Guessing that we are considering 215/55R18 tyres with a 95 load rating, a 2psi pressure increment will increase axle load capability by 65kg. Add another 2psi and the axle load capability will be 130 kg above that at the comfort" pressure. Adding 2psi to the rears only may be acceptable, but to be extra careful go for 2psi more in the front tyres and 4psi more for the rears.

I must admit never hearing about manufacturers only making tyre pressure recommendations only for 'comfort' and 'economy' - whilst lower pressures will be a bit more comfortable (for the same load) as higher pressures, surely the recommended tyre pressure (+/- 10%) should only be related to the load carried on each axle and to ensure even contact/wear over all tyres, to ensure the best/safest possible handling and longevity of the tyres?