Gruff sounding engines - Warning

I went to a CarGiant and started up a Ford Mondeo 1.6 (2012) with 15,000 on the clock. However, the engine sounded gruff, it was the same story on a Vauxhall Insignia 1.6? (2012). On a Mazda 1.8 (2012), when I reved up the engine, the car seat would vibrate. All were petrol engines.

I also sat in a Mercedes C180 2012, and when I hit the gas, I could feel the exhaust and vibration in the cabin. It was better then the above.

Why are n't todays engines super-smooth?. I can hear a chug-chug-chug noise from the engines.

Can someone explain what is going on?

I curently have a Nissan Primera 1.8 (2003) model, but the engine despite the age, is still smooth compared cars which are 10 years younger. When I rev my car, I don't feel the vibrations back in the cabin.

When I sat in a Qashqai, the engine was much smoother. It was the same on a Honda 1.3 Insight.

I just feel like I am going made, as logic would suggest the newer car would have quieter smoother engine.

Gruff sounding engines - Avant

Most engines, even petrol ones, make more noise when they're cold. Make sure you get a good test drive of any car you're interested in, and judge it after that.

Gruff sounding engines - efad2

I was very surprised when Ifirst drove my 3cyl 1.0 focus you could hardley tell if the engine was running or not and my wifes fiesta is the same

I was always led to belive that 3cyls always ran like a bag of spanners

Gruff sounding engines - bathtub tom

My 1.3, 4-cylinder, petrol Yaris sounds quite 'parpy' and uneven when I start it up from cold in the garage. It also tends to 'hunt' for a few seconds.

I've often had to look at the rev counter to see if it's still running when hot.

Gruff sounding engines - John F

All engines are gruff except 6 and 12 cyl. And even Porsche's flat jobs sound like a Duracell bunny in a biscuit tin. Cross plane V8s are the worst - many bhp are wasted trying to keep the NVH at bay - unless you actually like the noise.

Gruff sounding engines - slkfanboy

The straight 6 is meant to be perfect smooth engine without any tricks any other combination needs some of balancing out. Thats costs money so the less you do the cheap it is.

Tho I would say any car thats been sitting on a car lot for months is likely to be a bit lumpy

Edited by slkfanboy on 06/04/2016 at 18:14

Gruff sounding engines - RT

All engines are gruff except 6 and 12 cyl. And even Porsche's flat jobs sound like a Duracell bunny in a biscuit tin. Cross plane V8s are the worst - many bhp are wasted trying to keep the NVH at bay - unless you actually like the noise.

To achieve fulll smoothness, they'd need both exhaust and inlet manifolds to crossover between the banks - easy enough for the ports in the vee but long spaghetti for the ports on the outside.

On a V8, the ports for 1st/4th cylinders on one side need to be linked with the ports for 2nd/3rd cylinders on the other side.

So it's usually the uneven exhaust that makes them sound gruff, or glorious dependent on your taste.

About 10 years ago, I test drove a Volvo D5 and the 5-cylinder engine really was gruff - I've heard smoother tractors!

Gruff sounding engines - Sofa Spud

QUOTE >>>

A lot of modern 'sixes' sound like vaccum cleaners, while modern Ferrari V12's sound quite like a highly tuned 'four'.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 06/04/2016 at 22:17