Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - Billy1234

Someone close to me bought a van, insured it and used it for 10 months or so, the van needs scrapping so i said i would help.

i asked them for the V5, they dont have it, all they have is the sellers/buyers slip.

i rang DVLA to get a replacement V5 and was told there is no registered keeper and the van has not been taxed "for some time"

i am assuming that if he now admits owning it there will be all sorts of fines coming his way, obviously he want to avoid them.

what is the best way forward? can it be scrapped witout the V5?

thanks in advance

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - RT

The way forward would have been for your friend to have parked it legally on the road, ie not on private property, and then infomed DVLA anonymously where it was an that it was untaxed.

But you may be identifable as "having an interest" and your "friend" may have already linked themself to it through insurance - so you're best keeping out of it.

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - slkfanboy

Most like too late! Unless the seller failed to return their part of the V5. The car is untaxed and not insured as is. Even if payment are being made to the Ins company.

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - Wackyracer

Interesting that the vans owner doesn't mind not paying tax but, doesn't want to miss out on a few quid of scrap money.

I hope his got some money saved up, back tax and a fine is not cheap.

Thanks for the response

hes not bothered about getting anything for it, he is that thick he genuinely did not know it was taxed "the dealer said it was" is what he says

how much are the back fines? thats the trouble its hard to weigh up wether to wing it or not

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - SlidingPillar

Most like too late! Unless the seller failed to return their part of the V5. The car is untaxed and not insured as is. Even if payment are being made to the Ins company.

Not so, road tax has nothing to do with insurance. Most companies, even no MOT has no effect as the requirement of almost every policy is that you keep the car in a roadworthy condition. And a car that passed an MOT yesterday, could be unroadworth today.

The way forward would have been for your friend to have parked it legally on the road, ie not on private property, and then infomed DVLA anonymously where it was an that it was untaxed.

But you may be identifable as "having an interest" and your "friend" may have already linked themself to it through insurance - so you're best keeping out of it.

thought that my self, daft thing is he had it stolen and the police said nothing about there been no registered keeper

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - Ian_SW

If insurance for the van has been paid and it has been driven anywhere where ANPR cameras operate, it's likely a large fine and licence points are on the way anyway and they just haven't caught up with him yet. In 10 months of use, it's surprising he hasn't been picked up by the police at some point, unless he's only used in in very remote rural areas.

Any reputable scrap yard will refuse the van without a V5, though there may be some dodgy ones still about who might do a 'no questions asked' disposal (but don't expect any money!) if he wants to get rid and hope nothing else happens.

The other option would be to dismantle it himself, and sell anything usable of it as parts, cut up the chassis/panels/engine block and dispose of as general scrap. However doing either of these will only result in higher fines when the authorities do eventually catch up with him, which they most likely will.

If he just comes clean now, keeps it off the road, declares it SORN and sends in the buyers slip now he may just get away with the "failing to register in time" fine, which is likely to be lower than the 'using illegally' fines.

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - galileo

If insurance for the van has been paid and it has been driven anywhere where ANPR cameras operate, it's likely a large fine and licence points are on the th whom would way anyway and they just haven't caught up with him yet. In 10 months of use, it's surprising he hasn't been picked up by the police at some point, unless he's only used in in very remote rural areas.

The OP states that DVLA told him "there is no registered keeper" so to whom would the large fine and licence points be awarded?

Interesting to know details of insurance, most proposals require a declaration that you are the keeper, don't they?

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - slkfanboy

if insurance for the van has been paid and it has been driven anywhere where ANPR cameras operate, it's likely a large fine and licence points are on the way anyway and they just haven't caught up with him yet. In 10 months of use, it's surprising he hasn't been picked up by the police at some point, unless he's only used in in very remote rural areas.

On or off the road these says will get you fined. Must be SORN'ed evan if off the road

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - galileo

if insurance for the van has been paid and it has been driven anywhere where ANPR cameras operate, it's likely a large fine and licence points are on the way anyway and they just haven't caught up with him yet. In 10 months of use, it's surprising he hasn't been picked up by the police at some point, unless he's only used in in very remote rural areas.

On or off the road these says will get you fined. Must be SORN'ed evan if off the road

No registered keeper according to the OP, who are they going to fine?

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - daveyK_UK
Cut the car up and take the bits to council waste disposal centre, make sure you drain the fluids correctly and dispose of them at the council waste centre to prevent damaging the environment.

Alternatively, set fire to it and ask a scrap firm to collect it for free - make sure you don't set fire to anything else!

Heard a story of a bloke who had an old banger when you had to pay to scrap them, he wanted rid so drove it to France, had a mini holiday and dumped it over there.
He never heard anymore about the car.

Ford Transit Connect - Scrapping a car witout a V5 - Warning

"Alternatively, set fire to it and ask a scrap firm to collect it for free - make sure you don't set fire to anything else"

I sometimes wonder, why people do stupid things. Yeah 'some bloke' on the internet told me to set it on fire!

Edited by Warning on 05/04/2016 at 02:16